The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What are your unpopular Canuck opinions?

Rate this topic

Coconuts

5 hours ago, NHL'er said:

The Canucks are turning into a Swedish clubhouse. 

The West Coast Express was overrateed. 

Our defense isn't as bad as everyone here thinks. 

Id say Team USA. Sorry Sweden you have been replaced. Don't worry Yankee players seem to be leaving weekly. Ask Treleving.

2 hours ago, AV. said:

1.  Certain comments made toward Patrick O'Sullivan
2.  Certain comments made toward Jordin Tootoo

HM:  Assaulted a 19 year old goalie in summer hockey.

Brilliant player while he was here, and perhaps a great teammate, but, in my own opinion, none of that should override the fact that he said and did things that would not be tolerated here if it was done on another team, let alone in a different workplace.

Yeah I remember the incident with TooToo.

Then after mouthing off  Burrows didn't have the balls to fight him when Jordin called him out.

Dorsett stepped up. 

Not just classless but also cowardly.

In my book if you mouth off you better back it up.

Lost all respect for Burrows after that.

• Cheers 2

11 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Another one: 

Mogilny was a better player than Bure.

Yes Mogilny was a better "player". When Alex was in his prime and mad, there was not a player in the world that could sttop him. Unfortunatly (or fortunatly) for apposing teams, he rarely showed that side.

Bure was a one way player, but wow what a way!! One is in the HHF and one is not. Goals and getting butts out of the seat trump overall better talent all day. 

Since Messier bashing was happening, he was brought in for his *cough* leadership skills, experience, sell some bling, but primarily to get those two young Russians high horses a lot lower. He failed at everything and then some. 

3 hours ago, AV. said:

1.  Certain comments made toward Patrick O'Sullivan
2.  Certain comments made toward Jordin Tootoo

HM:  Assaulted a 19 year old goalie in summer hockey.

Brilliant player while he was here, and perhaps a great teammate, but, in my own opinion, none of that should override the fact that he said and did things that would not be tolerated here if it was done on another team, let alone in a different workplace.

On top of that Ron Maclean does not respect him either....

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, grumpyone said:

and Benning undermined Linden's authority by buddy buddying up to the Aquaman

then Linden wasn't ready to be the boss then. Any way you cut it, imo, he just wasn't ready for the big chair. 

11 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Linden and Benning were teammates for 2 full seasons in 1988-89 and 1989-90...

fair enough, should have qualified it "as a manager." He rushed a poor hire, imo. 

5 hours ago, Timråfan said:

A pity though that he didn’t have the skillset to learn all the other trades being a GM… Wich means it’s better to hire a damn good, intelligent communicator than a scout for the GM position

Well that might be true, but that is hardly Bennings fault.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, JM_ said:

fair enough, should have qualified it "as a manager." He rushed a poor hire, imo. 

Was Benning rushed though.  He was an assistant GM for quite a while.  

Imhao Benning was a bad hire because he proved himself to be terrible.  

Our owner was foolish to not allow Gillis to do a proper rebuild when that was what Gillis wanted to do.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Was Benning rushed though.  He was an assistant GM for quite a while.  

Imhao Benning was a bad hire because he proved himself to be terrible.  

Our owner was foolish to not allow Gillis to do a proper rebuild when that was what Gillis wanted to do.  

thats a good point re: Gills. Aqua was pissed at having to go Flordia to beg Lu to not demand a trade, and it flopped hard. 

Linden imo was too impatient to get a GM in. If Linden had more experience, he coulda have easily run the 1st offseason himself and taken the time for a much better hire. I went to a lot of season ticket member things back then, and do recall him saying that it wasn't an extensive search at all for GM.

5 minutes ago, JM_ said:

thats a good point re: Gills. Aqua was pissed at having to go Flordia to beg Lu to not demand a trade, and it flopped hard. 

Linden imo was too impatient to get a GM in. If Linden had more experience, he coulda have easily run the 1st offseason himself and taken the time for a much better hire. I went to a lot of season ticket member things back then, and do recall him saying that it wasn't an extensive search at all for GM.

The constant through the entire time is our owner.  He had our most successful (and forward thinking) GM ever in Gillis suggesting we needed to rebuild.  But our owner thought he was smarter about hockey, and fired Gillis and went with Benning.  Gillis wanted to do a proper rebuild.  Benning promised that crap he did.  And that’s what our owner got.  Craperolla.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

The constant through the entire time is our owner.  He had our most successful (and forward thinking) GM ever in Gillis suggesting we needed to rebuild.  But our owner thought he was smarter about hockey, and fired Gillis and went with Benning.  Gillis wanted to do a proper rebuild.  Benning promised that crap he did.  And that’s what our owner got.  Craperolla.  

to me it seems like Aqua gives his management team full autonomy and gets rid of them when they don't live up to the plans they present to him. I think when they come with no good reasons on why things tanked, thats when they get turfed. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

to me it seems like Aqua gives his management team full autonomy and gets rid of them when they don't live up to the plans they present to him. I think when they come with no good reasons on why things tanked, thats when they get turfed. 

I think Aqua sets the direction and hires people to fulfill it for him.  Why did he fire Gillis for wanting to rebuild, and hire Benning to “turn over the roster”?  

Clearly Aqua made a mistake 8 years ago.  If he supports the Gillis’ rebuild we are in a much better spot now.  Gillis proved himself as a successful and forward thinking GM.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

6 hours ago, 250Integra said:

The team needs to stop celebrating the 94 cup run that didn’t result in a cup

94, Lost by a goal, and was a goal post away from tying game 7 in the third. 

11, The team wasn't even in game 7. It was 4-0 final score. 

It's not celebrating. It's fact that's the closest the Canucks have come to the Cup. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

94, Lost by a goal, and was a goal post away from tying game 7 in the third. 

11, The team wasn't even in game 7. It was 4-0 final score. 

It's not celebrating. It's fact that's the closest the Canucks have come to the Cup. 

If Pat Quinn drafts Jagr instead of Nedved then we won the Cup in ‘94 and likely in ‘95 too.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Gillis was smart AF.  Benning never should have been a GM.

AQ  is too involved, always has been and is a detriment to our success due to being impatient. Therefore load up now around this core, mortgage all our futures, empty the cupboards to try to get a cup in the next few years. 

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think Aqua sets the direction and hires people to fulfill it for him.  Why did he fire Gillis for wanting to rebuild, and hire Benning to “turn over the roster”?  

Clearly Aqua made a mistake 8 years ago.  If he supports the Gillis’ rebuild we are in a much better spot now.  Gillis proved himself as a successful and forward thinking GM.  

I'm not sure thats why Gillis was fired tho. I think it was the whole Lu debacle that was the annoying part for the Aquilini family. 

In an ideal world, Linden should have been hired even 1 year under Gillis to learn the ropes. Had that happened I think he'd still be here.