The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Blue Jackets re-sign Patrik Laine

29 minutes ago, rekker said:

If this flake is worth 8+ million per, then JT is worth 15+. Good grief. 

Thats what I was thinking...JT got to be around 10.5+ if this guy is getting near 9 million.  I suspect a longer term deal will bring down the yearly number a bit for JT though.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Drakrami said:

If Laine and Boeser was on the trade market, Laine would get a higher retur., That's the fact, sorry CDC. 

Not a fact to be honest. That's speculation on your part and your mistake here is statiing it as fact when it's not. We wouldn't know that for sure unless if the 2 of them were traded, perferably under similar circumstances. Then we would be able to compare. It's possible for it to happen like you say, but it's not fact, it's what you think.

Here's an example of how I would approach sharing my opinion: I actually think it's more likely Boeser and Laine would have similar value. They both are goal scoring and both have had similar seasons in the past. They're actually pretty comparable really. See? I have an opinion too but I'm not going around feeling a need to pretend my opinion is fact.

So please don't mix up fact with opinion. This is your opinion, which is fine, you're entitled to think Laine would get a higher return, but to impose that as a fact is nothing more than an inflated ego and why people are attacking you the way they are.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

22 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

I was using an example of the most volatile... Sometimes slightly questionable character player.  Whereas boeser, petey, podkolzin, Horvat, Demko...  Etc all have high character.  We have no low character players on the nucks.  

There's no way to verify that.

Even if true, great, but that doesn't really accomplish much for us.

3 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

There's no way to verify that.

Even if true, great, but that doesn't really accomplish much for us.

What?... Like a 'character metre' to scientifically prove level of character?  Lol!  No you're right we can't... I don't know, I just watch and listen to how the players conduct themselves on and off the ice.  From what I've seen to this point, these guys are nothing but quality humans. You don't see selfish play on ice, no obvious cheap shots, or intent to injure.  They play the right way... I'll take that over dirty, selfish players any day.

28 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Relax.  Here are some new slippers. 

image.jpeg.5ab03056fbc2941d9c336c5b2ccb74a9.jpeg

You animal!!!!!!
What have you done to your children?!?!? 

this is a true story: as a kid, I was actually was given a pair of those for Xmas one year. They were great…until a stray cat we had adopted decided to puke mouse guts inside and all over them.

eye for an eye, I guess.

Edited by RWJC
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

Can you summarize? Thx Goose 

The discussion was regarding how Torts communicates with different types of players, which led to MDZ talking about Laine.  He wasnt trying to put Laine on blast but Torts appreciates effort, and re: Laine MDZ basically affirmed what seemed like common knowledge btw them all: Laine is lazy. 

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, BPA said:

So Laine gets a pass for a poor season while Boeser doesn’t.  Nice to know.

That was an outlier season in his short career so far ........Boeser has steadily declined she nce his rookie season.  

25 minutes ago, stawns said:

That was an outlier season in his short career so far ........Boeser has steadily declined she nce his rookie season.  

So last season, Boeser doesn’t get a pass?

EDIT…went to get stats…

Boeser

2017-18  62gp 29g 26a 55pts

2018-19  69gp 26g 30a 56pts

2019-20  57gp 16g 29a 45pts

2020-21  56gp 23g 26a 49pts

2021-22  71gp 23g 23a 46pts

Seems pretty consistent to me and not a decline :rolleyes: 

Laine

2016-17  73gp 36g 28a 64pts

2017-18  82gp 44g 26a 70pts

2018-19  82gp 30g 20a 50pts

2019-20  68gp 28g 35a 63pts

2020-21  46gp 12g 12a 24pts
2021-22  56gp 26g 30a 56pts

If you are claiming Boeser is steadily declining, then would Laine be also steadily declining???  :huh:

Edited by BPA
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

OK, I'm a HUGE Laine homer and I think he's gonna be better than Boeser next year now that he has Johnny Hockey on his line - I'm guessing a return to nearly 50 goals.

BUT - over the past 3 seasons, Boeser has been the better player in basically every single measurable way.

3 hours ago, stawns said:

Laines totals are skewed by an awful year two seasons ago, last year he's ppg.  You take BB , a 20+ goal scorer and I'll take Laine, who is an actual 30 goal scorer (twice) and a 40 goal scorer (once).

I literally just posted their overall point per game numbers in their careers which are virtually identical and your retort is Laine is a point per game guy and his numbers are skewed because he had a bad year?  That doesn’t make any sense. Boeser also had a bad year which skewed his numbers as well. 

There are posters on CDC who weren’t even born the year Laine scored 44 goals, but somehow that matters now?  

At least you fully admit that Laine does nothing special other than score goals. That is a start. 

The way I see it is that the only real difference between the two players is that one can stay healthy while the other can’t, which is the ONLY reason Boeser hasn’t hit the magical number of 30 goals at least twice in his career. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I literally just posted their overall point per game numbers in their careers which are virtually identical and your retort is Laine is a point per game guy and his numbers are skewed because he had a bad year?  That doesn’t make any sense. Boeser also had a bad year which skewed his numbers as well. 

There are posters on CDC who weren’t even born the year Laine scored 44 goals, but somehow that matters now?  

At least you fully admit that Laine does nothing special other than score goals. That is a start. 

The way I see it is that the only real difference between the two players is that one can stay healthy while the other can’t, which is the ONLY reason Boeser hasn’t hit the magical number of 30 goals at least twice in his career. 

Screen-Shot-2022-04-19-at-12.28.10-PM.pn

Screen-Shot-2022-04-19-at-11.28.07-AM.pn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, BPA said:

So last season, Boeser doesn’t get a pass?

EDIT…went to get stats…

Boeser

2017-18  62gp 29g 26a 55pts

2018-19  69gp 26g 30a 56pts

2019-20  57gp 16g 29a 45pts

2020-21  56gp 23g 26a 49pts

2021-22  71gp 23g 23a 46pts

Seems pretty consistent to me and not a decline :rolleyes: 

Laine

2016-17  73gp 36g 28a 64pts

2017-18  82gp 44g 26a 70pts

2018-19  82gp 30g 20a 50pts

2019-20  68gp 28g 35a 63pts

2020-21  46gp 12g 12a 24pts
2021-22  56gp 26g 30a 56pts

If you are claiming Boeser is steadily declining, then would Laine be also steadily declining???  :huh:

20-21 was a terrible season for Laine, no one disputes that, but take that outlier out and he is an elite goal scorer in the NHL.  I'd bet every penny I have that pretty much every GM in the league would take Laine over Boeser.

All that said, I think the contract he just signed is an overpayment

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

I agree, but with all the unfortunate family illness Brock has had to endure while playing in the NHL I am hopeful he bounces back net year. A 35g 35a season is my target for him

Laine has 3 years over 30g and 1 of which was over 40, hence why he costs more than Brock...also they did 4 years we did 3, you always pay more for an extra year epecially on a young elite player. I guess Laine hits 55g this year if he is healthy

He better hit 50 goals playing with Johnny???? Laine floats lucky to hit totals GP 75 - G 40 --PTS 70- 75-- 

2 hours ago, Harold Drunken said:

I'll agree for sure having a line mate like Gaudreau should help his production, no doubt.

If Johnny G is Laine's linemate, they will need a hall of fame, Selke center to make up for these two's defensive deficiencies. They are both ghosts in their own end. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, stawns said:

20-21 was a terrible season for Laine, no one disputes that, but take that outlier out and he is an elite goal scorer in the NHL.  I'd bet every penny I have that pretty much every GM in the league would take Laine over Boeser.

All that said, I think the contract he just signed is an overpayment

For sure Laine would be the choice over Boeser.  Goal scorers are a premium.  And yes…Laine is overpaid.

But like others mentioned…Boeser is a better cap hit.  Not sure an extra 10-15g warrants an additional $2M in cap space.

2 minutes ago, rekker said:

If Johnny G is Laine's linemate, they will need a hall of fame, Selke center to make up for these two's defensive deficiencies. They are both ghosts in their own end. 

JT would be good there, maybe

for Andrew Peeke and Liam Foudy?  

Columbus is pretty rich with prospects, but I don't see them trading Jiricek, Mateychuk, Johnson or Sillinger.