The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022-23 Abbotsford Canucks Thread

I'm disappointed they played out their series with the Firebirds so early in the season.  Would have loved to go see them in the new arena here.  Firebirds having a great inaugural season too (Seattle shared farm teams with Florida last season).  Lind and Rafferty drawing some nice reviews locally

1 hour ago, JamesB said:

Good question.

It seems like pretty much all the prospects (still counting Juulsen as "young") have made progress this  year. This is reason I really like Colliton. It can't be an accident that all these guys have developed well.  This is a better developmental year than I can recall over the entire time in Utica and the time in Abby. Remember how people (including me) used to complain that, aside from goalies,  the Canucks were basically getting no developmental progress from their AHL affiliate. 

That has changed.

As for Woo. After being drafted in the 2nd round in 2018 his progress was disappointing, and he had some injury problems. By the end of last season I think most people had written him off as prospect. But this year he has resurrected his career. He is never going to be an "offensive defenceman" as a pro but he has developed into a good defensive D-man at the AHL level. And he contributes to the physical game. The big team could really use solid, physical, RD who can play on the PK and be a stay-at-home partner for Hughes or another puck-moving LD. I am not saying Woo is likely to ever by an NHL regular, but I think he has a chance. At a minimum, he has shown himself to be a good AHL D. And, at age 22, it is not uncommon for D's to have significant additional upside. 

Juulsen seems like a classic "replacement level" RD -- a guy not quite good enough to be an NHL regular but who can step in a depth option in emergencies. That is below the expected value for first round pick (26th overall). But, like Woo, he has taken a step this year and is certainly having the best season of his career so far. Maybe the skating coach in Abby has helped or maybe he is just a late bloomer. At age 25 he could have a bit more upside. If Schenn is traded I would expect him to get another call-up to the big team and maybe this time he does enough to stick. Juulsen can provide some of the toughness and physical game the team needs if Schenn is traded.  

Juulsen is an RFA at the end of this season and a potential low-cost third pairing/7th man RD option for the Canucks next year,especially as Burroughs and Schenn are both UFAs and a lot of people expect Myers to be traded this summer.  

I had kind of forgotten what good AHL development looks like during the Benning regime. One thing about JR is that Pittsburgh had very good AHL development when he was GM there.

Juulsen was injured, where he didn't play for 10 months. Obviously, that affects his development. 

Hopefully he can remain healthy and get an opportunity with the big club.

• There it is 1

4 hours ago, stawns said:

Two straight over Tuscon, 5 in a row.  Five wins in a row for Silocs, who is turning into an AHL star this year

Silovs' recent play is making think we might actually have a pretty solid potential goaltender coming down the line, especially when you remind yourself that he's only 21. I'm eager to see if he can go the way of Markstrom and Demko and become one of the AHL's best eventually.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

3 hours ago, BarnBurner said:

Juulsen was injured, where he didn't play for 10 months. Obviously, that affects his development. 

Hopefully he can remain healthy and get an opportunity with the big club.

@JamesB 

Not only 10 months, but I'd argue that he lost three years of development time during his time with Montreal. 

6 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Silovs' recent play is making think we might actually have a pretty solid potential goaltender coming down the line, especially when you remind yourself that he's only 21. I'm eager to see if he can go the way of Markstrom and Demko and become one of the AHL's best eventually.

He actually remindse a lot of demko.  He's second in wins in the AHL right now and though part of that is a solid defensive structure and buy in from the skaters, Silovs is rock solid back there.  You can see the confidence he gives the team in front of him.

Plus, he looks a lot like Eddie Lack!

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, JamesB said:

Good question.

It seems like pretty much all the prospects (still counting Juulsen as "young") have made progress this  year. This is reason I really like Colliton. It can't be an accident that all these guys have developed well.  This is a better developmental year than I can recall over the entire time in Utica and the time in Abby. Remember how people (including me) used to complain that, aside from goalies,  the Canucks were basically getting no developmental progress from their AHL affiliate. 

That has changed.

As for Woo. After being drafted in the 2nd round in 2018 his progress was disappointing, and he had some injury problems. By the end of last season I think most people had written him off as prospect. But this year he has resurrected his career. He is never going to be an "offensive defenceman" as a pro but he has developed into a good defensive D-man at the AHL level. And he contributes to the physical game. The big team could really use solid, physical, RD who can play on the PK and be a stay-at-home partner for Hughes or another puck-moving LD. I am not saying Woo is likely to ever by an NHL regular, but I think he has a chance. At a minimum, he has shown himself to be a good AHL D. And, at age 22, it is not uncommon for D's to have significant additional upside. 

Juulsen seems like a classic "replacement level" RD -- a guy not quite good enough to be an NHL regular but who can step in a depth option in emergencies. That is below the expected value for first round pick (26th overall). But, like Woo, he has taken a step this year and is certainly having the best season of his career so far. Maybe the skating coach in Abby has helped or maybe he is just a late bloomer. At age 25 he could have a bit more upside. If Schenn is traded I would expect him to get another call-up to the big team and maybe this time he does enough to stick. Juulsen can provide some of the toughness and physical game the team needs if Schenn is traded.  

Juulsen is an RFA at the end of this season and a potential low-cost third pairing/7th man RD option for the Canucks next year,especially as Burroughs and Schenn are both UFAs and a lot of people expect Myers to be traded this summer.  

I had kind of forgotten what good AHL development looks like during the Benning regime. One thing about JR is that Pittsburgh had very good AHL development when he was GM there.

Thanks for this. Very interesting. I actually like Juulson over Burroughs. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

Thanks @JamesB, great post once again.  Very exciting to hear that the new development team is putting in the work to reach out and coach these kids throughout the season, regardless of what league they're playing in.  It's known that to progress the development of skills, you need reps, to make mistakes and have feedback on how to correct those mistakes. 

The keen eye and coaching of the development staff has already begun to show good signs.  Interestingly enough, in the area we need the most help with, defence.  Jurmo, Juulsen & Woo taking steps could change the make up of the club we desperately need.

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, JamesB said:

Good question.

That has changed.

Wasn't it JB who brought the team to Abby?

I'd like to see the org draft more guys like Klim who can come over as 18-19 year olds and get right into the system.  At 19, you can tell Klim has already learned to be a pro and will make the jump to Van quicker and easier than he would have if he'd gone the Jr route.  I'd like to see the same thing with D-Petey and Lek if that's possible.

If playing in the NHL is the goal, they should be in NA asap.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, stawns said:

Wasn't it JB who brought the team to Abby?

I'd like to see the org draft more guys like Klim who can come over as 18-19 year olds and get right into the system.  At 19, you can tell Klim has already learned to be a pro and will make the jump to Van quicker and easier than he would have if he'd gone the Jr route.  I'd like to see the same thing with D-Petey and Lek if that's possible.

If playing in the NHL is the goal, they should be in NA asap.

You have the answer in his words here ”This is a better developmental year than I can recall over the entire time in Utica and the time in Abby.