The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Projecting Pacific Division 2022/23 Final Finish

Rate this topic

VegasCanuck

Who do you think will win the division (presented alphabetically)  

162 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think LA is being underestimated.  A healthy Doughty this season will be a game changer for them.  They still

need a scoring RW, but other than that, they have a group of young players that are only getting better.

I think the Flames may be in trouble.  With the departure of Johnny and Tkechup, they are losing 215 pts.

Huber   Lindholm   Mangi

Coleman   Backs    Toffi

Not a very inspiring offence; especially if you consider that Lindholm only managed a point a game with

Johnny and Chucky as his linemates.  Huber had a career year last season with Barkov + Reinhart; both

players collecting well over a pt a game status.  The 2nd line is a compilation of FWs that scored under

40pts each last season.

They have a very good d + goalie, so they probably will be able to grind their way into

4th place.

2 hours ago, JM_ said:

not sure how Vegas finishes 2nd without a goalie tho? :lol:

Like the article says I can't see them not finding someone and starting with Hutchinson and Thompson. I don't think they'll need an overly good goalie with that defence. 

@higgyfan agree on Doughty ... kind of hate the guy but he's a gamechanger. They have a pretty good mix of youth and vets. They also addressed their biggest weakness with Fiala. Must be nice to have cap space and assets.

On 8/17/2022 at 8:13 AM, JM_ said:

not sure how Vegas finishes 2nd without a goalie tho? :lol:

Me too. I'd rank it like this:

1. Edmonton Oilers
  2. Calgary Flames (I could see a case to swap the 1st and 2nd spots)
  3. Vancouver Canucks
  4. Vegas Golden Knights
  5. LA Kings
  6. Anaheim Ducks
  7. Seattle Kraken
  8. San Jose Sharks
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

1 and 2 is between Oilers and Flames

3 and 4 - VAN, LA, Vegas - Anyone can take 3, Vegas may have issues with their lack of depth, goaltending issues

6 - Ducks 

7, 8 Sharks, Seattle 

I could see Ducks even challenge for 5 and Vegas drop off

Yeah I think similarly to this. 

Maybe I'd give Vegas #3 and for the 4th spot Van and LA fight it out.

But with Calgary having an insane offseason, the division is gonna be rough again and likely fairly close after the top 2. 

• Cheers 1

It's going to be a tough division. Vegas will be on the outside looking in with their goalie issues but I'd be surprised if they don't make a big splash somewhere with the extra cap they've got.

As it stands, it'll be Edmonton and Calgary up the top yet again. Edmonton will be the same as last year, Calgary will probably be the same when it's all said and done if not a tiny bit worse due to their veterans getting older. Anaheim, SJS and Seattle will still all suck but will get better and steal points off the top guys more than last year. The big team for me is LA. Their kids will get better and they add a premium top scorer to their top line which was a big missing point last year. They are solid defensively, their young goalie will be better, I think they're a true candidate for top-3.

Not sure where the Canucks stack up, we have had a very average off-season and certainly haven't gotten much better, but not much worse. We have basically just added two top-9 wingers but not addressed our main areas of concern - 3C and RD.

The biggest thing will just be playing under Bruce for a full pre-season, training camp and off-season so I think with that alone we should be quite close to LA. Ultimately I think Edmonton will run away with the division, Calgary, Vancouver and LA will all be a very close 2, 3 and 4, Vegas will just be bumped down to 5th and the rest will battle in the bottom. The inter-divisional games will decide the standings in the end because from 2-5 all the teams are very close.

18 hours ago, Bobby James said:

Yeah I think similarly to this. 

Maybe I'd give Vegas #3 and for the 4th spot Van and LA fight it out.

But with Calgary having an insane offseason, the division is gonna be rough again and likely fairly close after the top 2. 

Vegas is finishing nowhere near top 3 with no goalie. 

21 hours ago, Jaimito said:

I wonder what was their ranking for 2021-22 last yr.  I doubt they had LAK in the playoff spot and Vegas missing it. There are always surprises. 

This one is from NBC sports last summer. 

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2021/10/11/nhl-power-rankings-stanley-cup-contender-tiers-as-2021-22-season-begins/

An overview of the main predictive models last October - Vegas at the top, Vancouver on the bubble and LAK missing.

The NHL website polled 14 of their writers/editors back in October.  Vancouver didn't make the top-16 but got a few votes while LAK didn't get a single vote.

• Thanks 1

1. Edmonton

2. Calgary

3. LA

4. Vancouver 

5. Vegas

6. Anaheim

7. Seattle

8. San Jose

I think LA will be the team in the WCF. People slept on them last year, and are sleeping on them again.

If Vegas gets a decent replacement for Lehner I'd rank them higher.

Wouldn't be surprised if Anaheim makes the top 3.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Master Mind said:

1. Edmonton

2. Calgary

3. LA

4. Vancouver 

5. Vegas

6. Anaheim

7. Seattle

8. San Jose

I think LA will be the team in the WCF. People slept on them last year, and are sleeping on them again.

If Vegas gets a decent replacement for Lehner I'd rank them higher.

Wouldn't be surprised if Anaheim makes the top 3.

Anaheim is gonna finish top 3 or bottom 2 no in between lol they are the Wildcard imo and LA winning the division would not at all surprise me 

• Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Anaheim is gonna finish top 3 or bottom 2 no in between lol they are the Wildcard imo and LA winning the division would not at all surprise me 

Yeah the Ducks are difficult to predict given how last year went for them -- don't often see a team that's been rebuilding be atop the division for half the season, then completely bottom out.

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2022 at 12:42 PM, VegasCanuck said:

Although there may still be some minor moves and some teams still have some housekeeping to do in terms of wrapping up contracts, I think the teams in the Pacific Division are pretty close to set as to how they will roll into training camp in September.

Based on how teams are now, how do you feel they stack up against each other and based on team strength (baring injuries), how do you feel the will finish for the season and why.

I'll start things off with projecting how I think they will finish and why.

1. Los Angeles - I like the changes that they have made, they have a young, fast team that pushed Edmonton hard in the playoffs. I think they have the overall depth to carry them to #1 in the division.

2. Edmonton - I don't think this is a cup team, I think they still have significant challenges on defense and Campbell only really fixes one position. I thing they will have a good record based solely on 2 guys up front, but unless they figure out the defense, I don't see them making it past first or second round as they sit. They can only play their first line for so many minutes.

3. Vancouver - I think this team, even with the weaker RD, made some solid improvements through last year and got deeper and stronger on offense over the summer. If Pettersson is healthy and Hughes a year older and wiser, I don't think we have a cup team, but I think the Canucks have the makeup to push Edmonton and Los Angeles hard. Our record since Bruce took over the bench would have reflected this type of position last season if projected across the whole season, and we've improved up front. I think this is doable.

4. Calgary - This is a toss up for me, they have lost roughly 100 points in offense and Markstrom can only carry them so far with being another year older. If Markstrom struggles to stay healthy, they may drop further from here.

5. Las Vegas - I personally think this is a team that is heading in completely the wrong direction. A little like Vegas, but with big question marks in net and bottom 6, they can only win so much on their top 3 forwards. If first line has to play 30 minutes per night to win games, they will struggle to make the playoffs.

6. Seattle - I like the changes and additions they made at the deadline and through free agency. They have made good use of their space to add and fill out their lineup. They aren't a playoff team yet, but they will be harder to handle this year.

7. Anaheim - Really in transition, I think they will start strong again like last season and then really fade as we get into mid December. They have a long way to go to be back to competitive.

8. San Jose - I like the direction their are being taken in by the new management team, but they have at least another 2 years to being a competitive team again.

How do you see the teams?

I'm staying with my prediction here, although I think Calgary and Vancouver will fight all year for 3 / 4. I think Los Angeles will be much stronger this season and I think Calgary is going to struggle after all the changes. We don't know how they will gel as a team.

On 8/20/2022 at 10:41 PM, Master Mind said:

Yeah the Ducks are difficult to predict given how last year went for them -- don't often see a team that's been rebuilding be atop the division for half the season, then completely bottom out.

People forget that until the first week of March Anaheim was 2nd in our division before they blew it up.

I won't sleep on them at all

• Upvote 1