The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Monahan, 1st to Montreal

AngryElf

1 hour ago, Paul-walker said:

Monahan has had surgery on both hips. He’s done. Another Kesler.

Kessler had hip re-surfacing - ie hip replacement.  Monahan was operated for a torn labrum.  Quite a few players have had labrum hip surgery and resumed their careers. Demko even had double hip labrum surgery back in 2015.  Point, Kucherov, Seguin, Pastrnak etc.

Not sure Hughes would have traded for Monahan if he wasn't healthy given his justification for trading Weber's LTIR contract.  They have the same cap hit granted 1 year left for Monahan vs 4 for Weber - maybe he feels they can manage this season and it was years 2 to 4 of Weber's deal the issue.  

He explained that it was important to trade Weber because they would never have been able to get full LTIR relief and would have lost millions in cap space if Price also went on LTIR.  Hughes felt that the price of trading Weber would have only gone up if Price was to be declared unable to play.  Sounds like Price will indeed start the season on LTIR and they knew it when trading for Monahan.  Maybe it doesn't matter for this 1 season when they aren't expected to be competitive but Price/Weber both on LTIR was a major concern.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Absolutely!   He's now worth 6 firsts.  A Schnieder and a 3C.  

+ future considerations. 
We need to stock that cupboard too.

If we amassed enough then we can hopefully package trade 5 different future considerations for a better arena DJ.

cmon PA/JR, work some magic.

Edited by RWJC
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Would be nice but I doubt it. He’s still valuable to that team. I just wish he was gone because he’s still such a beast, haha. I have a love/hate for him as a player. 

Only Lucic and Chara were around during a time players were seriously tough and rough still, Chara more so.    I lost a lot of respect for Lucic when he finally fought a really good fighter (think it was Orr), got in trouble and screamed for the linesman to come in and help him out,    Up until them didn't mind making punching bags of lesser fighters and smaller players.   Prout lol ... not exactly a "killler" but handled him too.   It was the end of an era, and one that he didn't seem to entirely understand as far as the code went.   Chara.   Well he was never a top enforcer or close to it either, but he i absolutely respect.   And well, Lucic i suppose is just what's left of what's left of that breed of players. 

• Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Here are the conditions on the 2025 first-round pick (it's going to confuse you):

1. In the event Calgary's own 2024 first (1st) round choice is selection 20-32 (inclusive) (following the determination of the 2024 NHL Draft lottery results), then Montreal shall have the option, exercisable until 48 hours prior to the start of the 2024 NHL draft, to exchange the conditional 2025 or 2026 first round choice to become Calgary's own 2024 first (1st) round choice); or,

If Florida's 2025 First (1st) Round Choice Transfers to Calgary (pursuant to the conditions on an earlier trade)

2. In the event the conditions to trigger Montreal's option as noted in #1 above does not occur, or Montreal declines to exercise this option, the following conditions shall prevail:

• A) If both Calgary's own 2025 first (1st) round choice and Florida's 2025 first (1st) round choice (previously acquired by Calgary) are not in the top-10 selections of the 2025 NHL Draft (following the determination of the 2025 NHL Draft lottery results), then Montreal shall receive the earlier of the two (2) stated choices; or,
  • B) If Calgary's own 2025 first (1st) round choice is a top-10 selection and Florida's 2025 first round selection (previously acquired by Calgary) is outside of the top-10 selections (following the determination of the 2025 NHL Draft lottery results), Montreal shall receive Florida's 2025 first (1st) round choice).

If Florida's 2025 First Round Choice DOES NOT Transfer to Calgary (pursuant to the conditions on an earlier trade)

3. In the event the conditions to trigger Montreal's option as noted in #1 above does not occur, or Montreal declines to exercise this option, the following conditions shall prevail:

A. If Calgary's own 2025 first (1st) round choice is not in the top-10 selections of the 2025 NHL Draft (following the determination of the 2025 NHL Draft lottery results), Montreal shall receive Calgary's own 2025 first (1st) round choice, and additionally,

• 1) If Florida's own 2025 first (1st) round choice is not in the top-10 selections of the 2025 NHL Draft (following the determination of the 2025 NHL Draft lottery results); and,
  • 2) Florida's 2025 first (1st) round choice has been transferred to another NHL Club; and,
  • 3) Florida's 2025 first round draft position is better than Calgary's 2025 first round draft position; then Calgary will transfer their own 2025 fourth round choice to Montreal.

B. If Calgary's own 2025 first (1st) round choice is a top-10 selection (following the determination of the 2025 NHL Draft lottery results), Montreal shall receive Calgary's 2025 first (1st) round choice, subject to the following condition below:

• 1) In the event Calgary's 2025 first (1st) round choice is the first (1st) selection overall in the 2025 NHL Draft (following the determination of the 2025 NHL Draft lottery results), Calgary will retain its own 2025 first (1st) round choice and Montreal shall instead receive Calgary's own 2025 third (3rd) round choice and a conditional 2026 first (1st) round choice. Montreal shall receive the better of Calgary's 2026 first (1st) round choice or Florida's 2026 first (1st) round choice (following the determination of the 2026 NHL Draft lottery results) (previously conditionally acquired by Calgary).

https://www.nhl.com/canadiens/news/canadiens-acquire-sean-monahan-from-flames/c-335312254

After reading this I believe Montreal gets a draft pick of sorts. 

spacer.png

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, RWJC said:

+ future considerations. 
We need to stock that cupboard too.

If we amassed enough then we can hopefully package trade 5 different future considerations for a better arena DJ.

cmon PA/JR, work some magic.

Well at least U2 is all done with.   With apologies.   Not that i didn't like U2, i freaking loved them - but might as well go up a level and play some Zeppelin,  or even the Stones or Beatles.   In that order. 

• Cheers 3

16 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Would be nice but I doubt it. He’s still valuable to that team. I just wish he was gone because he’s still such a beast, haha. I have a love/hate for him as a player. 

He's got some serious character issues though.  Might be worth it to get rid of the last locker room cancer remaining from last year.

14 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Only Lucic and Chara were around during a time players were seriously tough and rough still, Chara more so.    I lost a lot of respect for Lucic when he finally fought a really good fighter (think it was Orr), got in trouble and screamed for the linesman to come in and help him out,    Up until them didn't mind making punching bags of lesser fighters and smaller players. 

Orr talked about that fight in a documentary. Lucic was a rookie or in his second year and Orr broke his nose with a punch, so Lucic was done.  

Lucic has fought all the top guys before (Derek Boogard in juniors even) and since with the exception of Reeves.  

Probably a top 3 heavyweight left over in the league although I think he's close to retiring. 

12 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Only Lucic and Chara were around during a time players were seriously tough and rough still, Chara more so.    I lost a lot of respect for Lucic when he finally fought a really good fighter (think it was Orr), got in trouble and screamed for the linesman to come in and help him out,    Up until them didn't mind making punching bags of lesser fighters and smaller players.   Prout lol ... not exactly a "killler" but handled him too.   It was the end of an era, and one that he didn't seem to entirely understand as far as the code went.   Chara.   Well he was never a top enforcer or close to it either, but he i absolutely respect.   And well, Lucic i suppose is just what's left of what's left of that breed of players. 

5 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

He's got some serious character issues though.  Might be worth it to get rid of the last locker room cancer remaining from last year.

Absolutely agree with both of these sentiments. I also look at it from another perspective though and what his presence alone on the bench can afford for in terms of boosting confidence for some players who aren’t so apt or keen to defend themselves.  I guess it’s more of an insurance policy so to speak…if you run, slash or attempt to injure one of our guys, you or your top players will receive the same treatment in return by someone who is capable of doing real damage. 

it’s still a contact sport that is played at high speed and guys like Kadri utilize every aspect of their toolbox to engage competition. Considering he’s going to be valuable for CGY, it’d be nice to know we have someone who could virtually eviscerate him if need be. He will still be the kind of player he is, so a response is a solid option considering he’s now a regular in our division. 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Here is a more cleaner version of the conditions via CapFriendly. Do this help?

FaeodTcUIAAG6Vt?format=png&name=large

AKA Montreal is most likely to receive the better of Florida or Calgary 2025 1st rounder. 

15 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Lucic doesn't have character issues.  

He's been loved by every one of his teammates.  

Wasn't he the one helping Tanev move? 

He greeted Tofu at the airport.  

No character issues, you gotta let 2011 go. I would take Lucic for 1 mil in a heartbeat. 

12 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Orr talked about that fight in a documentary. Lucic was a rookie or in his second year and Orr broke his nose with a punch, so Lucic was done.  

Lucic has fought all the top guys before (Derek Boogard in juniors even) and since with the exception of Reeves.  

Probably a top 3 heavyweight left over in the league although I think he's close to retiring. 

It was his fourth season.  And he also lost to guys like Bolton and Chris Neal before that ... again didn't mind pounding away at guys like Witt, Komiserak, Clarkson, Barrett Jackman .... Eager (a draw - the same guy that a 41 year old Gary Roberts destroyed!)  and Ruutu etc ... but when he fought the actual fighters he didn't do as well.   Agree he's a top heavy in todays game.   It also goes to show what's happened to the league.    I remember when this happened, it was news because it was the first time he actually fought one of the leagues best heavy's even though he had the same or bigger frame. 

Not the same as Roberts tuning Eager or Shanny almost retired, going at it with Brashear, is it? 

Edited by IBatch