The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign J.T. Miller

4 minutes ago, JM_ said:

yeah its a tough time around here right now. Not a lot of hope.

No one seems to know the "why" of this situation. Lots of finger pointing, etc. but the reason isn't clear. Maybe its just too much losing? cultures do go down in flames sometimes.

I suspect we go 1/5 on this road trip. That should put the nail in it. 

What happens then? if we lose Bo then I want this thing blown up. 

A lot of us fans want to rebuild.  But there is the snag that is our owner. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

No one seems to know the "why" of this situation. Lots of finger pointing, etc. but the reason isn't clear. Maybe its just too much losing? cultures do go down in flames sometimes.

Yeah for sure. I wish we just had a honest direction. We are not a playoff team simply in a cold streak imo.

We act as a buyer would while being a bottom feeder. And we sit here wondering why does every team progress faster than us lol. It's such a sad sight. We the fans deserve better. The team has done it their way for 11 years and yet we are in a worse position... The fact the willy D teams would light up the current group is rather pathetic :lol:

I'll die on canuck hill, Nothing will turn me away... But holy funk boys figure it out lmao 

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, JM_ said:

To me, if Bo goes, I'm done supporting this team. If they think retooling on the fly, without Bo makes sense, and if this continual tweaking and UFA signing crap continues, I'm taking a step back as a fan. Losing Bo because the money isn't there because of JT would just be so Canuck like. To me it's either blow it up, without Bo, or retool with Bo. I've already become numb to this club as is. The roadmap has been flawed for years and the poor drafting combined with to few picks has left a laughable prospect pool. It's just a mess and I'd rather just go nuclear so that I don't get my hopes up anymore. 

Edited by rekker
  • Huggy Bear 2
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, rekker said:

To me, if Bo goes, I'm done supporting this team. If they think retooling on the fly, without Bo makes sense, and if this continual tweaking and UFA signing crap continues, I'm taking a step back as a fan. Losing Bo because the money isn't there because of JT would just be so Canuck like. To me it's either blow it up, without Bo, or retool with Bo. I've already become numb to this club as is. The roadmap has been flawed for years and the poor drafting combined with to few picks as left a laughable prospect pool. It's just a mess and I'd rather just go nuclear so that I don't get my hopes up anymore. 

I sure wish our owner could read this.  

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Exactly. Canuck luck. How much you want to bet that we trade Bo this deadline and he absolutely careers it, in his prime, for the next five years. This franchise is ffnn cursed. 

2 minutes ago, rekker said:

And we just traded next years second for another ffnn bandaid solution. ENOUGH already!!

And Allvin said we traded Myrenberg for a more fully developed player because Myrenberg is five years away from the NHL.  I think a lot of fans see this current team as 3-5 years away from competing.  Makes more sense to us fans (who think this way) to be the club adding picks and prospects to be better down the road and not trading them away for hopeful improvement now. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I sure wish our owner could read this.  

Thanks Alf. It really means a lot when a die hard fan since 82, like myself, has gotten to the point where I am beginning to not give a crap. I am not investing my emotions and love into this crap anymore if the same route is taken on the same roadmap again and again. We need a new route, new car, new driver, new songs, and Google Maps. Get all this shit together and point the car down the road and I will pack a box of beer and a bag of chips and get on board baby!

I still think an Isles trade could work out nicely, I've no issue with taking back cap if said cap expires sooner than 7.75 seasons from now. Particularly if the trade brings back young assets or picks. 

Taking cap back in trades is the likely reality given how many teams don't have a ton of open cap space. Who knows, maybe Detroit would take him. Maybe Buffalo, but I just don't see that one. 

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And Allvin said we traded Myrenberg for a more fully developed player because Myrenberg is five years away from the NHL.  I think a lot of fans see this current team as 3-5 years away from competing.  Makes more sense to us fans (who think this way) to be the club adding picks and prospects to be better down the road and not trading them away for hopeful improvement now. 

And what kind of comment is that anyways? That one pissed me off. Not ready for five years? What the hell kind of voodoo comment is that? Who in the hell knows how most any young player will be in five years. 

Edited by rekker
  • Cheers 2

28 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I still think an Isles trade could work out nicely, I've no issue with taking back cap if said cap expires sooner than 7.75 seasons from now. Particularly if the trade brings back young assets or picks. 

Taking cap back in trades is the likely reality given how many teams don't have a ton of open cap space. Who knows, maybe Detroit would take him. Maybe Buffalo, but I just don't see that one. 

After the Ladd experiment just don't see NYI bringing in 30 year olds on long term deals.  Lamoriello insists that they are a defence 1st team and sounds content to win the low scoring games.  Would they really target Miller with that mindset.

Edited by mll

I think keeping miller will accelerate us towards the bottom of the standing and have a better chance at bedard? I mean he’s on the ice for 25+ goals against now. Almost double his production and that’s not including goals scored against when he’s in the penalty box. That number would surely balloon even higher as soon as we trade bo? So maybe miller contract will help this team get those top 3 lottery pick if he keeps his negative net production up. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, mll said:

After the Ladd experiment just don't see NYI bringing in 30 year olds on long term deals.  Lamoriello insists that they are a defence 1st team and sounds content to win the low scoring games.  Would they really target Miller with that mindset.

Maybe. Depends on what they were giving up. They're certainly a team that could use a scoring boost on the wing. 

Any deal with the Isles would involve our taking cap back, it depends on who that was and what we'd get on top of it. I've proposed something around Miller for Josh Bailey+ with the part of the return being based on Bailey's expiring sooner than later. Islanders have staggered their forward cap pretty well, and if the cap starts jumping again I think they could probably fit him in.

It's hard to say what the Isles want but they were rumoured to be interested before, Miller's offense would certainly be an upgrade on Bailey's and he'd be better insulated defensively on that team. 

Any return probably wouldn't be a home run, but it doesn't have to be, it just has to work for both sides. 

28 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Maybe. Depends on what they were giving up. They're certainly a team that could use a scoring boost on the wing. 

Any deal with the Isles would involve our taking cap back, it depends on who that was and what we'd get on top of it. I've proposed something around Miller for Josh Bailey+ with the part of the return being based on Bailey's expiring sooner than later. Islanders have staggered their forward cap pretty well, and if the cap starts jumping again I think they could probably fit him in.

It's hard to say what the Isles want but they were rumoured to be interested before, Miller's offense would certainly be an upgrade on Bailey's and he'd be better insulated defensively on that team. 

Any return probably wouldn't be a home run, but it doesn't have to be, it just has to work for both sides. 

I'd be surprised if they were looking into Miller.  

Going into the off-season Lamoriello listed improving the defence as the main objective.  He explained that to be a good team you build from the net out and insisted that NYI is a defensive team.  He talked of being a goal differential guy - ie limit goals against and get 1 goal more than the opponent to win.  He's not looking to outscore their mistakes - the focus is playing solid defence 1st.  

He talked of wanting to add 2 Ds.  He got Romanov and said that he would try to use a F to get another D - that hasn't worked out yet and they are probably still looking.  They had an opening on their 3rd pairing with Romanov expected to be in the top-4 - not sure how that has worked out but they are still a D short of the 2 he was looking to add.  He was trying to use a F for a D.

Up front he said he was going to try to make a hockey trade - a F for a F.   He excluded using picks/prospects on older players saying that they had to get younger.  Miller is an older player.  

NYI ended up doing nothing other than adding Romanov with Lamoriello then going with the cliché "sometimes the best moves are the ones you don't make".  He explained that the trades available were going to create holes elsewhere and wouldn't have made them a better team.  

Given the quality of the draft this year, this losing is a blessing - hopefully management realizes this. They need to punt on this season, clear as much cap as possible, trade a significant piece like miller or horvat to address the D and try their best to finish last overall. IMO they'd come out way ahead next year - top 3 pick would be huge, preferably bedard, especially if they move horvat 

Edited by Pbhatti00

5 minutes ago, Pbhatti00 said:

Given the quality of the draft this year, this losing is a blessing - hopefully management realizes this. They need to punt on this season, clear as much cap as possible, trade a significant piece like miller or horvat to address the D and try their best to finish last overall. IMO they'd come out way ahead next year - top 3 pick would be huge, preferably bedard, especially if they move horvat 

You know there’s zero chance we’re getting Bedard right? We’re not allowed to have nice things….

6 minutes ago, mll said:

I'd be surprised if they were looking into Miller.  

Going into the off-season Lamoriello listed improving the defence as the main objective.  He explained that to be a good team you build from the net out and insisted that NYI is a defensive team.  He talked of being a goal differential guy - ie limit goals against and get 1 goal more than the opponent to win.  He's not looking to outscore their mistakes - the focus is playing solid defence 1st.  

He talked of wanting to add 2 Ds.  He got Romanov and said that he would try to use a F to get another D - that hasn't worked out yet and they are probably still looking.  They had an opening on their 3rd pairing with Romanov expected to be in the top-4 - not sure how that has worked out but they are still a D short of the 2 he was looking to add.  He was trying to use a F for a D.

Up front he said he was going to try to make a hockey trade - a F for a F.   He excluded using picks/prospects on older players saying that they had to get younger.  Miller is an older player.  

NYI ended up doing nothing other than adding Romanov with Lamoriello then going with the cliché "sometimes the best moves are the ones you don't make".  He explained that the trades available were going to create holes elsewhere and wouldn't have made them a better team.  

Fair points, but what he said going into the season and where they're at further on could be very different things. Isles are off to a good start, and have been winning quite a bit as of late, they very well may not feel they need to add an offensive jolt at this point. They've also been very good defensively, so there's a chance that while maybe they'd like to bolster their D it's not currently as big a priority as originally thought. If they continue this current trajectory it could impact how the view things closer to January, February, or the deadline. As a team they're not far removed from having some playoff success. Wasn't that long ago they were in a conference final. 

Could very well be that down the road they're in a position where things have shifted, and where they may be considering looking for an offensive player who might bolster their playoff chances, or ability to compete come playoff time. A Miller trade probably doesn't happen sooner than later anyway, so it's hard to say. 

I personally wouldn't write the Isles off as a potential landing spot. Particularly if management is willing to make a deal that's more of a fair deal than a clearcut win, it's unlikely anyone's gonna rob Lou.