The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign J.T. Miller

1 minute ago, -DLC- said:

Might be mixing me another batch of Koolaid to drink.

Wonder when Miller will be in town? New baby and fam in tow...could be a week or two.

I would think with covid and other things around they might wait to fly with the lil one, but I guess they could do a private charter as well. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

JTM is for sure playing the role of centre all over the ice.  He might go back to wing (especially when we don’t have the puck) as he ages though. 

4 minutes ago, JM_ said:

yeah that could be. I guess he could be a bit unique in this way as well, is there another winger that takes as many face offs as JT?

Didn’t JT mention this in an interview recently?  The John Scott one perhaps?

I thought I remembered him saying that he likes to slide over to the wing (after taking the draw) when he plays with EP.  When he plays with others then he stays at C.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Qwags said:

Still doesn't solve our issue of atrocious D.

Hughes and OEL simply aren't enough. Was hoping we could move Miller for a good D piece. Oh well.

Well suppose it depends what you mean by atrocious.   It was certainly that when Edler and Tanev constantly were injured and Hutton Del Zotto etc were around.  12th isn't so bad.   And as far as team D goes it certainly got a lot better the second half as well (of course it helps when the puck isn't in our zone and we don't fold into the stupid five man box every time the puck enters our zone either lol)...  

Anyone thinking Miller was fixing our D was a little delusional.   He never was.   Succession planning for sure is an issue still.   OEL/Myers wasn't that bad (other then expensive - that's what happens when you can't draft your players) neither was QHs/Schenn.   Too bad we didn't have much after that.     As of right now our D is average.    Demko wasn't  "saving us" ... Luongo did that when he first came on.    Wasn't that good back then either - but did become good.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

So by saying no team does it, it means it’s very uncommon. You’re taking it too literally. You found one example of it, good job!

Most GMs have more class and common sense than to trade a player before their deal even kicks in.

As for Philly doing well I’m not sure the owners would agree. They had a team that was two wins away from a cup to one that traded two of their best players, one right after signing a new long term deal. Doesn’t really seem like a Gm with a direction. :lol:

Well, one successful example.  It's known that Mike Gillis tried to trade Alex Edler before his 6 year deal came into effect.  Similarly, there are other examples where NTCs/NMCs may kick into a contract (could be year 2 or year 3, doesn't really matter) and teams explore moving those players before those take effect.  The point is, as much as it may be frowned upon, it's a part of the business.  Most GMs don't sign or trade for players with the intention of getting rid of them so soon, or shortly down the line.  They move them when there's a valid reason to move them on (i.e going into a new direction, the interest in the player is too significant to turn down, the player isn't meeting expectations etc).  Jim Rutherford is known as Trader Jim for a reason.  Check his record of deals.  But, in any sense, I really don't believe we'll have such a case with J.T. Miller unless stuff absolutely hits the fan this upcoming season.

Don't think Flyers were all too bothered moving Carter or Richards, especially since a lot of hockey circles are familiar with the off-ice issues that were ongoing in Philadelphia during that time.  Here's what Ed Snider had to say in 2012.
https://www.deseret.com/2012/5/29/20415561/snider-rooting-for-ex-flyers-carter-richards

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Might be mixing me another batch of Koolaid to drink.

Wonder when Miller will be in town? New baby and fam in tow...could be a week or two.

I’ve always appreciated your sense and understanding of good humour Deb,  from someone who loves to be involved in a good chirp now and then …. Thank you.

Id miss Stawns if he left here,  always share good conversation with him,.   I think he just got caught up in the hype of a great Christmas with a trade.

glitter , lights and those unopened boxes with high expectations of the best of the best ;)

I would it be surprised if the overwhelming excitement of everything in JT’s life right now has him rushing back to Vancouver this week to participate with his friends and team mates in anything going on - on ice ,  and getting the home in Vancouver in good order for Mum just to walk in and relax.

Good preparation is the key to success,.   Something engrained in him already.

I beleive he is scheduled to interview with Alvin tomorrow sometime..   but I don’t know if he is already here in person to do that or will Zoom it. ??

perhaps someone else knows?

3 minutes ago, AV. said:

Well, one successful example.  It's known that Mike Gillis tried to trade Alex Edler before his 6 year deal came into effect.  Similarly, there are other examples where NTCs/NMCs may kick into a contract (could be year 2 or year 3, doesn't really matter) and teams explore moving those players before those take effect.  The point is, as much as it may be frowned upon, it's a part of the business.  Most GMs don't sign or trade for players with the intention of getting rid of them so soon, or shortly down the line.  They move them when there's a valid reason to move them on (i.e going into a new direction, the interest in the player is too significant to turn down, the player isn't meeting expectations etc).  Jim Rutherford is known as Trader Jim for a reason.  Check his record of deals.  But, in any sense, I really don't believe we'll have such a case with J.T. Miller unless stuff absolutely hits the fan this upcoming season.

Don't think Flyers were all too bothered moving Carter or Richards, especially since a lot of hockey circles are familiar with the off-ice issues that were ongoing in Philadelphia during that time.  Here's what Ed Snider had to say in 2012.
https://www.deseret.com/2012/5/29/20415561/snider-rooting-for-ex-flyers-carter-richards

Miller.   His clauses were shredded when he was traded from TB.   But we shouldn't even be talking about this because it won't happen. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Lot of silence from the “if he wanted to be here he’d be signed by now” crowd.

Man, the toxic positivity here is real right now. It's ok to have different opinions, but the board line bullying of people who have different opinions is kinda weird. Makes for pretty un-fun hockey debates.

Edited by Shayster007
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

Didn’t JT mention this in an interview recently?  The John Scott one perhaps?

I thought I remembered him saying that he likes to slide over to the wing (after taking the draw) when he plays with EP.  When he plays with others then he stays at C.

Certainly could be what he prefers.  Petey is by far the better of the two without the puck - especially in our own zone. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, AV. said:

Trading a player part way through a deal and trading a player before they even play one game on their new deal are two very different things.

You haven’t even seen if they can live up to the new deal or not. You basically just had a change of heart and wanna back out of it.

That’s bad business practice and sure other players may still sign with them, but I guarantee more than a few players/agents were turned off by that. And I would think they’d be a little hesitant to sign any deal without immediate no trade protection.

Flyers should have been bothered when they saw both those players hoist the cup twice in the next couple years. If they had off ice issues they should have been resolved internally and had the right leadership above them brought in. Someone like Sutter clearly had them focused to be the best players they could be.

The team has never had a direction since then, so I’m not sure every Flyers fan isn’t regretting the impulsive decision Holmgren made. 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, -DLC- said:

That's what I said too (and it's leading at 59%)

Has the potential of a solid shut down line that plays the hard matchups

I think its also time for me to declare 

I believe Miller will be in the selke conversation this year

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1