The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign J.T. Miller

The the Canucks it’s hard to evaluate their season last year.  It’s filled with so many anomalies that heavily slant the statics to one side when it’s not and never was nearly as bad.  Two teams played last year, Green’s team and Boudreau’s. One team couldn’t kill a penalty to save its life, the other PK under Bruce was completely opposite,  completely different system, but it was better and was getting better.  I’ve heard it was because of Petey’s wrist injury that was the reason for the slow start. But I think it was Green and not showing confidence in Petey, and maybe Petey fed off on that negative energy and it hurt his confidence.  This was the Stars game In November, does Petey look injured?  This game was an anomaly for Petey.

49 minutes ago, Provost said:

We had all those players except the two Russians… one has been a 3rd liner and the other hasn’t played an NHL game…. And we weren’t even a playoff team.

Not how how adding two mid range (at best) guys turns us into a “top team for sure”.  

I mean we can be hopeful and excited,  but those are whacky expectations.  Maybe that is why  people here get so depressed, get all insane and unrealistic and then freak out because those unrealistic expectations aren’t met.

Maybe true.   But it's a realistic expectation that the current crew mostly will get a little better together next season.   

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

The more we digest the Miller extension the more it looks great for us.  With Demko, Hughes, Petey, Bo, Bess, OEL, Pods, Mikyyev, Kuzmenko, Garland, Myers and Miller we have a top team for sure.  Should get several really good runs at Cups in the next 5-7 years. 

We will win a Cup in the next 5 years

• Cheers 2

49 minutes ago, KingRaj91 said:

You can't look at it this way. Our young guys (Podz, Hogs etc), are expected to be much better this year than they were last year. Our best player was terrible in the first half of the year, Boes didn't play well either and these two are expected to have comeback years. We are a younger team and every year our younger guys are expected to get better, and just based off this off-season, we've also gotten a lot deeper. This is an exciting year and I think we have one of the deepest forward groups in the league if things pan out. 

It is exciting, but saying we are definitely a top team is just genuinely silly and not based in any sort of reality.

To get to still missing the playoffs, most of our top players had career years last year, some by a huge margin.  That would be really unusual to get repeated.  You certainly can’t just assume improvement by the young players and not also account for someone else to fall off. 

Miller

Demko

Petterson

Hughes

Garland

Myers had his best +/- of his career and was more effective than he has been since his rookie campaign 

The key players were also healthy, not losing many games to injury.

Maybe magic happens and we become a top team… but that would be a shocking dark horse miracle to most of the hockey world, including the team brass who keep saying there is a lot of work to do and they didn’t get what they wanted accomplished.  Pundits are putting our team right on the playoff bubble which seems pretty fair.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

It really depends which team we are (and for us fans, which one we believe we are).   It's been a long time since our second half was better then the first.   A very very long time.     Get the hesitation to crown us with anything.     THN has us with most 40 point guys then any team in the NHL, and 8 20 goal scorers. Not even some of the dynasty's of old had that.    Even with our D not adding many goals, both the WCE era and peak Sedin era it's possible we end up with more goals then both of them.   Should be fun hockey to watch.    Not sure our PP is 26.7% good all year either ... but if it is that's pretty amazing really.   Pundits mostly do have us as a bubble team.    But not all of them.  

So good odds you get to make your annual thread explaining why it's impossible to make the playoffs i suppose too!      Me, despite all the abuse and suffering as a fan, haven't been excited about our team in a long time.   We no longer have a cash strapped team like we ended up with during both the WCE and Sedin era.   A ton of options (for now anyways) to make a big trade, minor ones or just stick with it.    Depending on how this season goes likely defines those options.  Me i'm going with the Bruce sample size.    Because this core is just getting started.    

Yes baby... lets see some optimism... its been a looooooong summer, and damn the team looks tasty. 

Lets drop the puck and see how we fare... the worst that can happen is we suck, and then a fair few will be moved over the coming year or two... 

But I think we'll be having a good season. Whether it'll be a GREAT season remains to be seen, but I haven't been this optimistic in a long time...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Yes baby... lets see some optimism... its been a looooooong summer, and damn the team looks tasty. 

Lets drop the puck and see how we fare... the worst that can happen is we suck, and then a fair few will be moved over the coming year or two... 

But I think we'll be having a good season. Whether it'll be a GREAT season remains to be seen, but I haven't been this optimistic in a long time...

Yes.   Team really gelled last season from the 25ish game and on.   Even Green won 2 out of 3 his last games with us.   Maybe i'm overly optimistic.    Don't think anyone would be surprised if we end up at or near the top in our division, or just outside looking in.   That's a much better range to be in then we got used too.   Teams just got some good mojo right now.   Horvat getting signed before the season starts would be the cherry on top, and team can just go in without any distractions, and work on building what they did the second half of last season.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, KingRaj91 said:

You can't look at it this way. Our young guys (Podz, Hogs etc), are expected to be much better this year than they were last year. Our best player was terrible in the first half of the year, Boes didn't play well either and these two are expected to have comeback years. We are a younger team and every year our younger guys are expected to get better, and just based off this off-season, we've also gotten a lot deeper. This is an exciting year and I think we have one of the deepest forward groups in the league if things pan out. 

Does anything not go as planned in your scenario or does everyone have bounce-back seasons and repeat career years? 

I'm not being critical,  just wondering if there's a scenario out there where some guys come dn to earth and/or have totally 'off' years and where does that leave us if it happens?

Edited by Fanuck

A little “off “. Topic here…

but wanted to post this here because it is the most active thread .

Penticton’s Stars Camp is approaching,  and I wanted to share a young scout who does an amazing job of keeping an eye, and passing on great insight regarding all of the Canucks young prospects throughout the year, where ever they are in the world.

Youll get some great Video daily.

Ive been following him for a few years, he is quite talented and loves what he does.

… now back to your regular program. ;) 

“JT Miller”.   Do we really need him ?  lol.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

I'm curious how 

OEL Hughes (Finally have a shooter next to Huggy)

Rathbone Schenn (Bone thugs n harmony)

Burr/Derm Myers (Hit squad)

Would look? Can Rathbone jump into an offensive role playing sheltered minutes to start?

Still think by the time the playoffs roll around we will need an established shut down D. Nic Hague or the like Ryan Graves, Gavrikov. To play alongside Myers when the games get more meaningful.  

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Does anything not go as planned in your scenario or does everyone have bounce-back seasons and repeat career years? 

I'm not being critical,  just wondering if there's a scenario out there where some guys come dn to earth and/or have totally 'off' years and where does that leave us if it happens?

Injuries to our D could be murder.   Forwards not so much.   Our forward depth is good.  EP had an awful start last year, Brock his worst season yet, Hogs might end up in the AHL to start the year given the new additions and how things went for him last year...we endured terrible PK and bad PP the start last season too.   But our 5 x 5 play was actually decent throughout.    To me unless we suffer a rash of injuries, there are pretty good reasons to be optimistic.   Team should get a little bit better.   And we will be awfully hard to defend against. and fun to watch. 

• Vintage 1

29 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Injuries to our D could be murder.   Forwards not so much. 

Nobody wants to acknowledge the unimaginable - a serious injury to Demko for 20+ games give or take would likely end our season.  Martin is a likeable guy, but putting our hopes on him as our depth in that position is definitely not without considerable risk.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Fanuck said:

Nobody wants to acknowledge the unimaginable - a serious injury to Demko for 20+ games give or take would likely end our season.  Martin is a likeable guy, but putting our hopes on him as our depth in that position is definitely not without considerable risk.

Now that, that is our achilles heel. 

However, many talented teams have the same issue.

Gotta be good to be lucky and lucky to be good.

• Vintage 1