The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Podkolzin for RHD

A year ago we had one big, juicy trade piece that was playing way above his pay-grade and could legitimately garner a great return for the position we are most lacking.

I never wanted to trade JT, and I'm glad we didn't. 

At this point, the only option I think is Garland. For a team to give up on the type of value we need, he's the only player that's playing lights out on a team-friendly deal. And accordingly, he's been proposed quite often. But I wouldn't want to trade him either.

Another thing occurred to me - and I wouldn't want to do this either...what about Podkolzin?

Throughout the league I think execs would be licking their chops at what he is and what he projects to become.

If there were a similarly exciting, similarly aged RHD (like a Braden Schneider or something) - would anyone here dig that deep and trade such an exciting prospect?

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Putgolzin said:

A year ago we had one big, juicy trade piece that was playing way above his pay-grade and could legitimately garner a great return for the position we are most lacking.

At this point, the only option I think is Garland. For a team to give up on the type of value we need, he's the only player that's playing lights out on a team-friendly deal. And accordingly, he's been proposed quite often. But I wouldn't want to trade him either.

Another thing occurred to me - and I wouldn't want to do this either...what about Podkolzin?

Throughout the league I think execs would be licking their chops at what he is and what he projects to become.

If there were a similarly exciting, similarly aged RHD (like a Braden Schneider or something) - would anyone here dig that deep and trade such an exciting prospect?

I think the problem is that Podkolzin has not yet blossomed............

For instance, if your expectation is someone like Dobson, well he has already had a 50 point season as a Dman

So then, you really have to lower you expectation, which is counter productive

I honestly think a high end Dman would cost you Podkolzin + a 1st (Not something I would want to do at this point)

It is a good idea, I just don't think you would accomplish what you set out to do

• Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

I think the problem is that Podkolzin has not yet blossomed............

For instance, if your expectation is someone like Dobson, well he has already had a 50 point season as a Dman

So then, you really have to lower you expectation, which is counter productive

I honestly think a high end Dman would cost you Podkolzin + a 1st (Not something I would want to do at this point)

It is a good idea, I just don't think you would accomplish what you set out to do

Yup.

I seriously doubt you'd get even mild interest if Garland (a PROVEN & valuable commodity) for Dobson without adding.

22 year old top four defensemen aren't going to be had for a top 6 winger (let alone an unproven one in Pod).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 2

I am guess you could go after someone like Baron in Montreal or Faber in Minnesota, but then, are you getting value?

Someone like Piece in Carolina or Roy in LA, just feeds the beast, and they are older, (27/28? year olds)

Severson and a pick for Podkolzin, might work, but he is a UFA in a year and will want big money, where as Podz will still be asking for lower end money, so Cap becomes an issue.

It certainly is not a easy move regardless.......more like chess than checkers, IMO

Edited by J.I.A.H.N
  • Cheers 1

I think I mentioned this before, but it's REALLY weird how the director of that movie classic "A Christmas Story":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Christmas_Story

(sort of "fun for the whole family")

*ALSO* directed this REALLY classic horror film (a film that has pretty much influenced all slasher movies including Carpenter's Halloween) much earlier:

(that 1974 movie still creeps me out to this day)

2 hours ago, Putgolzin said:

trading a cap friendly player does not fix our issues. We need our young, cap friendly players to compete.

Has to be someone like Garland, as much as I'd like to keep him.

• Cheers 1

Miller has been quoted as saying he thinks Podz will be really, really good for this team, we've signed Mikheyev and Kuzmenko to make him feel more comfortable, and it's expected that he'll start on a line with Petey. I'm honestly thinking management feels we have a future Mark Stone-esque star here, and want to make sure he feels as happy as possible to make negotiations as smooth as possible. 

I think if you were able to ask them who they thought is untouchable on our team, Podkolzin would be there. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JM_ said:

Podz has to be in our untouchable list imo. He has the potential to be a forechecking beast and a top line player. IMO we need to look at locking him up to an 8 year deal as soon as its possible.

I guess this is to all the poster's, not just you Jim, but I always caution everyone........don't be married to anyone player, be married to the team! The team is the only constant, and is always evolving. 

I too, would not give Podkolzin up, "unless" the return was exceptional, and we could replace him internally. I do not advocate trading him, but would under the right circumstances. I just do not see those circumstances in this case................

I would trade Podkolzin for..........

Makar, Fox, Seider, Hiskanen, Dobson, Drysdale, Clarke, Juricek, and or Nemek........................no team would trade their blue chips for Podkolzin rather 

Would you trade Quinn Hughes for Podkolzin....................or would accept that if he were offered for Podkolzin........well sure you would???? You had better! At least for the first five that are proven...............the other 4 are all pretty much in the same league, but yet unproven................you know, sorta like Podkolzin!

just my thoughts!

• Vintage 2

4 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

I am guess you could go after someone like Baron in Montreal or Faber in Minnesota, but then, are you getting value?

Someone like Piece in Carolina or Roy in LA, just feeds the beast, and they are older, (27/28? year olds)

Severson and a pick for Podkolzin, might work, but he is a UFA in a year and will want big money, where as Podz will still be asking for lower end money, so Cap becomes an issue.

It certainly is not a easy move regardless.......more like chess than checkers, IMO

Baron or Schneider for Podkolzin would be an absolute catastrophe. Faber is the only one of those close to fair value, but would still be at best a sideways move. Ultimately doesn't make sense. Pesce or Roy not worth it either. Severson for Podkolzin I guess could make some sense, but I think I'd rather wait and see just what we have in Podkolzin. Severson might be had with a package including Garland plus.