The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

15 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Interesting how this is even a debate tbh. The team did a clear cut 180 for 5 months the second the coaching changed happened. Not sure how anyone can think the two coaches just use the same anything lol

It's Stawns we're talking about here... he'll argue debate anything and everything. 

3 minutes ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

OEL likes the back end.

I know these are cookie cutter answers but it sounds like the team has a lot more confidence in the defense than the fans and media. From the top down, management, coaching and the players have all touted the defense as being good enough.

I broke it down and compared defensive zone stats against the Avalanche and the only difference really is that the Canucks gave up 1.2 more scoring chance shots against with everything else being extremely comparable with the canucks coming out on top in a few catagories

While I fully support the d group this season where things could get out of control is if 2 top four dmen went down at the same time for an extended period of time

Hopefully having a deeper forward squad will translate into the Canucks not chasing the play as much, which is where injuries often come from

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

OEL likes the back end.

I know these are cookie cutter answers but it sounds like the team has a lot more confidence in the defense than the fans and media. From the top down, management, coaching and the players have all touted the defense as being good enough.

If Hughes works on the RH side, then yes, our defensive group is transformed.

OEL-Hughes

Dermott-Myers

Rathbone-Schenn

If Rathbone isn't ready, it'd be a lot easier to find a top 4 LHD than a top 4 RHD.  That would make a Dermott-Schenn 3rd pair, which should be pretty effective in just keeping the puck out.

• Like 1

It sounds like the plan indeed is for Quinn to play the right side with OEL.

That's a pretty good top pairing on paper at least.

That leaves a hole at LD on the 2nd pairing. Rathbone is a bottom pairing D at best right now.

I think there is a strong chance Danny DeKeyser makes this team on his PTO and Rathbone cracks the bottom pairing.

2 minutes ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

It sounds like the plan indeed is for Quinn to play the right side with OEL.

That's a pretty good top pairing on paper at least.

That leaves a hole at LD on the 2nd pairing. Rathbone is a bottom pairing D at best right now.

I think there is a strong chance Danny DeKeyser makes this team on his PTO and Rathbone cracks the bottom pairing.

I was under the impression it would be only sometimes when we need to activate the D more... There's still Myers, Poolman, Schenn Burroughs Rathbone, Dermott. 

I think we can find a 4 man combo that works

1 minute ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I like this. Give the players continuity, ability to form chemistry early on, and hit the ground running.

One thing I really hated about Green's tenure, was he mixed up lines so much that he never gave them enough time to gel together and form chemistry.

• Like 1

Just now, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I like this. Give the players continuity, ability to form chemistry early on, and hit the ground running.

One thing I really hated about Green's tenure, was he mixed up lines so much that he never gave them enough time to gel together and form chemistry.

Sounds like Garland and Kuzmenko will play on left side? Which side does Mikheyev play

30 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yup, forecheck is identical.  It's AFTER the puck is lost in the offensive zone that the defensive structure completely changes between BB and TG. 

To be honest forecheck isn't even identical. BB came in and had the 2nd guy in sync with the first because previously, the timing of F1 and F2 were off so even if TG was trying to deploy 2 fore checkers, the 2nd forward didn't play with the same aggressiveness and desparation to engage giving the opposing team way too much time to get out. Hardly any turnovers were forced. 

When BB arrived, we then played similar to Montreal in the bubble season. 2 forecheckers in and hard and quickly with full commit. That was the key difference in forcing turnovers

• Cheers 1