The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

13 minutes ago, nuck-lifer said:

If Rathbone steps into the line up I would like to see Schenn as his partner. Best positioning RD as well as muscle to allow Rathbone to use his skillset. Similar to how he worked out for Hughes.

OEL Hughes

Dermott Myers

Rathbone Schenn

Poolman steps in on the left side with Schenn if Rathbone sits.

Don’t think they’re sold on Dermott as a top 4 otherwise they wouldn’t be looking at a guy like Bear.

6 minutes ago, HKSR said:

It's systems when the coach instructs his team to tighten things up in the neutral zone and attack the puck at the opposition blue line vs collapsing into the defensive zone.  Giving up the blueline 9 times out of 10 means the opposition is flying through the neutral zone with speed (which only happens if there is no neutral zone pressure), and therefore they can't shut things down at the blue line.  Have you  just started watching hockey? lol!

No, that's execution

16 minutes ago, stawns said:

No, that's execution

So what is the definition of systems vs execution?

I feel like execution or lack of execution is discussed when the correct strategy is in place and a winger is open but the player fails to execute and makes a poor pass or misses the net etc. 

One could also say failure to execute when TG clearly told the defensemen to pinch up and pressure at their blue line but instead they skate backwards and give up our own blue line rather easily. 

While I've read numerous times about BB wanting to play an aggressive high pressure forecheck with D men attacking the opposing blue line, I don't ever recall TG talking about that. 

How do you know that's what TG demanded of the defensemen when we saw no evidence of it throughout his tenure here? 

Schmidt was maybe the only one that played that way and he stuck out like a sore thumb because nobody else did so there was no help. He was on an island and wanted to GTFO to Winnipeg of all places lol. 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

The players themselves mentioned that the systems were almost identical and that the changes from TG to BB were more mentality/trust/deployment based than systems based

Yeah but "almost" isn't the same lol. It's the little things a NHL vet knows that AHL quality guy doesnt. I'll 100% agree change in voice, And a real players coach were the main reason for success under Bruce. But something more than just a voice changed the PK completely 

2 hours ago, nuck-lifer said:

If Rathbone steps into the line up I would like to see Schenn as his partner. Best positioning RD as well as muscle to allow Rathbone to use his skillset. Similar to how he worked out for Hughes.

OEL Hughes

Dermott Myers

Rathbone Schenn

Poolman steps in on the left side with Schenn if Rathbone sits.

I like this because our 2nd and 3rd pairings are both like lite versions of last years 1st and 2nd pairings.

Dermott is like a slightly crappier OEL, and Rathbone is a slightly crappier Hughes.

So definitely not as good but with way easier minutes.

And behind a potentially massive 1st pairing.

This is neither here nor there, but I’m irked at the new Canuck calendar from Pharmasave. I’ve bought it for years and years, and always enjoyed looking through each month, with awesome pics of the most famous or new Canucks. But now they’ve made it about the Canucks’ player’s pets. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed watching the players’ dogs race between periods at the game… but I hardly need a calendar with each pet profiled each month. That’s just weird.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1