The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Sounds like Hughes still really wants to play with Schenn. 

Over the last 9 months, the Canucks failed to get Quinn a RD (and I'm not sure Bear is the answer). Now it's forcing the Canucks to have to possibly use him on the right side with OEL. Not sure how that partnership will go.

Also, Poolman is such a ?  One hit could end his season. 

Rathbone is a small rookie, and who knows how he'll do against the world's best, full time. 

Edited by NUCKER67

15 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

Let’s be honest.  
They aren’t winning a damn thing this year, but a playofh appearance where we don’t get swept would be a pretty big win in my books.  

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. 

Last year, the team under Boudreau was the real team. That team competed and held up with the best in the league and team ran out of gas at the end. This is a team that when on their game had ZERO turnovers against the Avs in their own building where they were dominant. You can't fluke a stat like that. We would easily be in the playoffs had Bruce coached the entire season.  Bruce has now had the whole offseason to strategize and come to camp ready. He is further bolstered by a great coaching staff. 

Our achilles heel last year was not the defence. It was our record setting league worst pk. Think about how many more games we would have won with just an average pk stat. 62.8 percent at once point... 

We addressed that this offseason with some key acquisitions. 

I expect a much better season from petterson and Boeser. Miller hopefully stays at his level or drops slightly. 

Podz another season older. Hogz will bounce back. Horvat will stay Horvat. We added 2 skilled forwards and brought more sandpaper and size on the 4th line. 

I'm so excited for this season. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

As long as the coach doesn't use it to evaluate players like that other dummy! :frantic:

I'm hoping that in the split squad games, we see lines 1 and 3 stay in Vancouver and 2 and 4 elsewhere and switch vice versa 

Guys who will play together need to gel during camp. 

Last year, way too much time in camp / preseason was spent trying to decide whether we want digiuseppi or Petan etc.

We know who the top 9 are. Only guy battling there is hogz so keep him in the mix. 

The 4th line is between Dickinson, Dakota, Lazar, Lockwood 

We need Bruce to cut the camp roster down immediately where we have 26 forwards and 14 defence. 

Coach gotta come out and say cuts happen before game 1 so bring your best all throughout camp and scrimmages because that might be your only chance. 

I'm hoping camp is used to reiterate and coach structure and systems with the players that will be here rather than evaluating 13-15th forward talent

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Sounds like Hughes still really wants to play with Schenn. 

Over the last 9 months, the Canucks failed to get Quinn a RD (and I'm not sure Bear is the answer). Now it's forcing the Canucks to have to possibly use him on the right side with OEL. Not sure how that partnership will go.

Also, Poolman is such a ?  One hit could end his season. 

Rathbone is a small rookie, and who knows how he'll do against the world's best, full time. 

I dunno about that. What I read is that Hughes is a very diplomatic and well trained media guy. All those great comments about Schenn has truth to it but I think he also wants to try RD and doesn't want Schenn or media to take the story and run with it like Hughes prefers to go 1RD rather than be paired with Schenn etc. I think he's just being sensitive to his old partner. He stops himself from talking about wanting to play with "O" and goes back to complimenting Schenn 

I think Hughes wants to be more versatile and have the Canucks use him like a true rover on D which is easier from the right. I was surprised to hear that he felt too stationary on the left side and being on the right will allow him to activate more. 

Hughes is smart and I think he knows that with reps on the right side, Canucks get another fresh look on D which could generate more scoring opportunities when the Canucks need to move Hughes up with OEL. 

He wants to do this from time to time but doesn't want it to sound like he wants to move up for a permanent role. 

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

Let’s be honest.  
They aren’t winning a damn thing this year, but a playofh appearance where we don’t get swept would be a pretty big win in my books.  

Making the playoffs is doing something, restoring a bit of Canucks pride we lost after get spanked by the Bruins who literally destroyed our team for years but if that's what it took to get out of selling the farm for a depthless roster that never gets anywhere, I'm glad it happened. 

Unless management bows to the whims of stupid fans and go back to the same ole days of pre 2012 we might actually start to make cup runs and not just one year, that's nothing but dumb as a post thinking that we can win without depth. How far did that get us? ZERO! 

No more! Finally happy about where we are and where we're heading but this year is the starting point.  Time for some serious a$$ kicking.. 

Edited by iceman64

I have a feeling the Canucks are just strapped for cap space and assets/prospects etc. They have big contracts with OEL and Myers and one of them has to go. My guess is it'll be  Myers. Some of their current player are untradeable. Nothing they can do, except put them back in the lineup. 

It might take 2 years before the Canucks are able to do some actual major improvements, to make them contenders. By then, Kuzmenko, Pearson, Garland, Dickinson and Myers will most likely be gone.

The D is what it is this season, and the team is just going to have to play much better defensively. The goal this year is playoffs. 2024/25 will be the Cup run.