Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah it's important to get these lines straight. Heck of a task considering all the line-ups we've seen here. Although, I'm sure BB has an idea of who he wants to try where. A few new guys in Aman, and Karlsson, etc., that need looks but otherwise just getting the line combos worked out is imperative. It should be very interesting how it plays out. A guy like Joshua needs to have a good camp but we pretty much know who is going to be on the squad with how deep our forwards are. I could see some defence guys like Keeper staying around longer.

Agreed. We need to come out of the gates firing. This means we need a very productive and efficient camp /preseason. We cannot have the same lax approach to the beginning of the season like years past. Evey game matters and is valuable in our chase for a playoff spot

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yea Greens nonchalant attitude got really played. 
 

It’s like you can act that way if you have a track record of success and know that you can push the right buttons when the time comes. He did not and didn’t know how to get his team going consistently. 
 

Probably what bugged me the most about him. He had an arrogance of a much more accomplished coach. A little humility could have gone a long ways with him.
 

Like the only reason he became a head coach was in large part due to luck. He got the Winterhawks job because the head coach was suspended and then rode a good team to the playoffs. Then he got the Utica job and rode Markstrom to a finals. There’s no way he should have been hired as a head coach so soon. He needed assistant experience first.

TG,s Pre and Post games reeked of arrogance. When they'd lose he's even have that silly smirk on his face. He got to be head despot in Utica and that team suffered. 

How is it that Boudreau, win or lose, can spontaneously give an accurate take in a brief post game. 

You're right, TG was an arrogant man. Didn't really earn the head honcho's job. The Bubble was an anomaly. Give him a wee bit of credit for it but that team could

have coached itself.

 

  • Cheers 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You guys think if we didn't resign Green, and moved on to a more experienced coach that he would have a job right now somewhere else? I feel that last season made his tactics look minor league at best. I kind of think so. Up till then he was "okay" but only for a rebuilding team looking for a stop gap coach.

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rick_theRyper said:

You guys think if we didn't resign Green, and moved on to a more experienced coach that he would have a job right now somewhere else? I feel that last season made his tactics look minor league at best. I kind of think so. Up till then he was "okay" but only for a rebuilding team looking for a stop gap coach.

Considering BB uses the same systems, I doubt that's the issue.  He just lost the room

  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/19/2022 at 7:18 PM, Odd. said:

I remember last season being so pissed off that we didn’t see our NHL line up until the very last game. I hope we focus more on building chemistry then playing guys who we know are nowhere close enough to play in the NHL right up until the last pre season game. We had a historically bad start to the season.

Apologies if it's been said already,  but "historically bad" ??????   

 

We started last season with 6 games on the road, and went 3-2-1.  I started following the Canucks in 1982, and can remember many worse starts than that!! (e.g. in our most recent SCF year, we went 2-3-1,  with 3 of these 6 at home)

 

The 84-85 (Bill LaForge) era was among the worst. .... 1-5 in the first 6, continuing ineptitude to 1-9 after ten, and 4-14-2 when he got fired after twenty 

 

 

 

Edited by Googlie
  • Cheers 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

Yup, pretty much the same as BB

BB had the guys shooting more high danger chances, completely changed the PK, and playing more aggressively. Thats about as much as you could expect with a mid-season change. 

 

  • Like 1
  • Cheers 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, JM_ said:

how do you figure that?

In the ozone both coaches use a 2-1-2 press that emphasizes a hard forecheck to create turnovers and once they possession they like to move the puck around the perimeter with a "hinge" player for puck support.

 

Defensively both coaches employ a collapse system to clog up the slot and prevent shots from getting through.

 

On the PP,  both coaches use an umbrella formation with the ppqb at the top, a fwd at the halfwall on both sides, a fwd in the corner and a trigger man that follows the puck.  Both coaches also use the "drop" in the nzone on the pp breakout

 

On the pk, both coaches use the diamond with one player up high, two on the sides and one down low.

 

Obviously there's variations and differences, but their systems are the same at the core and their philosophy is pretty much the same as well.  The problem with TG last season was ex caution, not systemic

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, JM_ said:

you could say this for 1/2 the league tho. 

 

It is the small variations and differences that changed how the team went from a passive, easy to beat team to the one we saw under Bruce executing far better. 

 

This is a pretty good review of the changes: https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canucks-hockey/how-much-have-the-canucks-actually-improved-under-bruce-boudreau-4926557

 

 

agreed, the league has become homogenized, imo

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

agreed, the league has become homogenized, imo

I just keep coming back to that PK. How could it have been that bad? 

 

Camp should be really interesting this year, I do wonder what other tweaks BB and co want to try. If its the same and just better execution, thats fine too. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, JM_ said:

BB had the guys shooting more high danger chances, completely changed the PK, and playing more aggressively. Thats about as much as you could expect with a mid-season change. 

 

again, that's execution, not systemic.  TG lost the room, no one is arguing that

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, stawns said:

In the ozone both coaches use a 2-1-2 press that emphasizes a hard forecheck to create turnovers and once they possession they like to move the puck around the perimeter with a "hinge" player for puck support.

 

Defensively both coaches employ a collapse system to clog up the slot and prevent shots from getting through.

 

On the PP,  both coaches use an umbrella formation with the ppqb at the top, a fwd at the halfwall on both sides, a fwd in the corner and a trigger man that follows the puck.  Both coaches also use the "drop" in the nzone on the pp breakout

 

On the pk, both coaches use the diamond with one player up high, two on the sides and one down low.

 

Obviously there's variations and differences, but their systems are the same at the core and their philosophy is pretty much the same as well.  The problem with TG last season was ex caution, not systemic

Lol, what a load of crap.  BB literally said defence starts at the opposition blueline.  You can see it deployed with a MUCH more aggressive hold in the neutral zone vs TG's attempt to hold at the Canucks blueline.  Completely different approaches :picard:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I just keep coming back to that PK. How could it have been that bad? 

 

Camp should be really interesting this year, I do wonder what other tweaks BB and co want to try. If its the same and just better execution, thats fine too. 

 

They were absolutely fragile at the end of Greens time. Afraid to lose, afraid to take a penalty, afraid to be scored on, afraid of the media. Who didn't think OMG another penalty , another goal against, another loss.

BB was the perfect antidote for a spiraling team, and hopefully he can bring in more structure this year to push those pucks out of the D zone quicker than last year. 

  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Lol, what a load of crap.  BB literally said defence starts at the opposition blueline.  You can see it deployed with a MUCH more aggressive hold in the neutral zone vs TG's attempt to hold at the Canucks blueline.  Completely different approaches :picard:

can you explain how, using examples from TG's systems as well?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...