The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Rachel Doerrie

Rate this topic

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

Just now, AV. said:

Lol.

The same Jim Rutherford who jumps at every opportunity to do media duty and give as much candid and open dialogue as possible regarding players, coaches, trading, etc?

Yet he keeps things like contract negotiations close to the chest.

I would imagine he prefers to keep locker room issues inside the locker room too.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Yet he keeps things like contract negotiations close to the chest.

I would imagine he prefers to keep locker room issues inside the locker room too.

Just now, Angry Goose said:

You gotta love non-sequiturs

Lol.  Maybe because, unless they're sitting on a deal for months, they don't actually have numbers to leak in the first place?

C'mon now...

1 hour ago, Quantum said:

And the last comment about entitled millennials is *very* sad sack boomer of you, dude. You can make an argument but there's no need to punch down like that.

There's lots of hard working millennials that put in their time and persevere.  

Respect is earned, not entitled.  

Emilie Castonguay has earned her respect and has an amazing resume and list of accomplishments. 

Taking this matter to court on grounds of discrimination leaves me feeling no sympathy. 

I know I'm not the only one to have said this but there's obviously more to the story.

All we have is a one-sided meticulously crafted complaint written by Doerrie's high powered lawyer (Brian Burke's lawyer who likely has no love for the Canucks organization).

Why the heck did the media erroneously report Mikheyev had a torn ACL a day before this firing happened.  Seems pretty obvious to me management suspected she was a mole and they did an old fashioned sting to prove it. 

There was also clearly a mole during the draft that blew up the JT Miller trade.  When Lou made the draft day Schneider / Horvat deal with Gillis, he reportedly told the Canucks that the deal was off if it leaked to the media ahead of time.  It didn't leak and the deal happened.  This time, the deal leaked and it got yanked - causing a lot of embarrassment for the franchise..  

I doubt we will ever know for certain the extent that Doerrie was to blame either instance, but if I was a betting on it I'd say its highly likely she was involved in one or both.

Edited by The.Burrowers

25 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

There's lots of hard working millennials that put in their time and persevere.  

Respect is earned, not entitled.  

Emilie Castonguay has earned her respect and has an amazing resume and list of accomplishments. 

Taking this matter to court on grounds of discrimination leaves me feeling no sympathy. 

Thing is, according to what you're saying, not many people would be considered hard working, or would have put in the time or perseverance, if you're willing to overlook all of that in somebody who holds multiple university degrees, country-wide and expat work experience in the sport, etc, whilst, as we learned, managing a physical and mental disability. Unless, to you, age supersedes education, work experience, etc., there's nothing to suggest the person you're criticizing is not hard-working nor could be considered entitled.  Quite the opposite, I would say.

20 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Of course they have numbers, how do you think contract negotiations work?

Preferred numbers, not imminent terms that could or would get leaked to the media.  In any event, where every GM and executive always maintains that "we want to sign X player/ we prefer to keep them", Jim Rutherford is one of the few who will say that and add "if not, we'll consider moving them if we have to".  Again, far more candid and open than he needs to be since the latter is usually implied if a deal doesn't get done.  That's the gist of what I was saying.

Edited by AV.
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, The.Burrowers said:

I know I'm not the only one to have said this but there's obviously more to the story.

All we have is one-sided meticulously crafted complaint written by Doerrie's high powered lawyer (Brian Burke's lawyer who likely has no love for the Canucks organization).

Why the heck did the media erroneously report Mikheyev had a torn ACL a day before this firing happened.  An erroneous report from TSN of this magnitude is highly unusual.  Seems pretty obvious to me management suspected she was a mole and they did an old fashioned sting to prove it. 

There was also clearly a mole during the draft that blew up the JT Miller trade.  When Lou made the draft day Schneider / Horvat deal with Gillis, he reportedly told the Canucks that the deal was off if it leaked to the media ahead of time.  It didn't leak and the deal happened.  This time, the deal leaked and it got yanked - causing a lot of embarrassment for the franchise..  

I doubt we will ever know for certain the extent that Doerrie was to blame either instance, but if I was a betting on it I'd say its highly likely she was involved in one or both.

Oddly enough when asked about the deal not happening, Lou was quoted as saying "ask Vancouver". 

12 minutes ago, AV. said:

Thing is, according to what you're saying, not many people would be considered hard working, or would have put in the time or perseverance, if you're willing to overlook all of that in somebody who holds multiple university degrees, country-wide and expat work experience in the sport, 

Look up the program of Sports Management that she finished in Ontario.

Getting a bachelor's from SFU or UBC would be much harder. 

What's her experience, holding down a bunch of jobs for a few months each? 

Refer to Emilie's resume for an example of a hard working individual who has put in their time. 

16 hours ago, AV. said:

For me, I don't know that it's based so much on an actual work-related or performance issue, and certainly not anything to do with Doerrie on a personal or behavioural level, as some seem to suggest.   Rather, it is a series of instances where poor communication is occurring in an organization that hasn't exactly fostered a network of clear, healthy communication channels for a number of years now.

Among many, these details stick out to me:  
--
27. Ms. Castonguay responded to Ms. Doerrie’s explanation of what occurred by saying: “you’re not important enough to be cared about” and “no one in the media is your friend”.

28. Further, and significantly, in terms of her mental and physical well-being, despite Ms. Doerrie’s strong work performance and the praise she had received from her colleagues, Ms. Castonguay told Ms. Doerrie:“I don’t know if you have what it takes to do the job, mentally”

36. This was further confirmed to Ms. Doerrie when, at the end of this discussion with Ms. Castonguay, Ms. Doerrie asked for feedback from Ms. Castonguay on how she could improve after being told she was not mentally fit for the job, and instead of providing coaching and assistance to Ms. Doerrie, Ms. Castonguay responded bluntly that this was an HR issue now

--
For example, was using the word "mentally", perhaps meaning to allude to a certain personality or disposition, actually perceived to have been a literal remark about mental illness by Doerrie?  In other words, is it a poor selected choice of word to use that's caused needless harm?

Are the sentiments from 27 meant to have been communicated in a blunt, transparent manner to articulate the professional or desired expectations of front-office employees, but, because of the language used or its delivery, comes across as hostile or triggering remarks, instead? 

Do the events from 36 qualify as an instance where the promise to ensure a safe and healthy environment (that is, to receive constructive communication in this "environment") was perceived to have been broken or disregarded?

It's tough to say without knowing too much about either individual, but the first thought I had was that there was a lack of transparency and a fair share of ambiguity in communication between all parties.

I'm sure more will come 

Edited by bad alice french

5 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Look up the program of Sports Management that she finished in Ontario.

Getting a bachelor's from SFU or UBC would be much harder. 

What's her experience, holding down a bunch of jobs for a few months each? 

Refer to Emilie's resume for an example of a hard working individual who has put in their time. 

Subjective, but in any event, you're also omitting the MSc program.  

The experience is working for NHL teams, university teams, and many other relevant positions in the sport.  On the surface, tons of insights to be learned, connections to made, and experience to be gained.

Not sure what Emilie's resume has to do with anything, but I'm sure it is thorough and demonstrative of "hard-working".  That's the beautiful thing about "hard-work", though - it doesn't need to be a zero-sum game, and it certainly isn't determined by years of experience on the job.

Reading what has been posted it is tough, my first read is that Dorrie probably wasn’t doing a great job in a very different job than she was used to and didn’t take criticism well. 
It is clear that there is context missing and clearly there was an event that happened along the way in what was probably an already strained relationship already. 
Not sure if I have heard Emily Castonguay speak either as sometimes words French Canadiens use don’t quite translate across, or come off as more blunt than many native English speakers. 
If this is around a leak, which is interesting, then it makes more sense and she should have been removed with cause immediately. A sports organization is an exercise in controlled leaks to the press, can’t have someone running around rogue.  The stuff around NJ is very interesting and there are a couple possibilities, as stated above maybe they planted the Mik injury to see if she was leaking, or maybe it was the NJ story that was the leak. If you are going to test your ships for leaks you need an organization that doesn’t leak to play off of so in comes big Lou. Perfect foil for that, you know any stories in the media aren’t coming from his side.  
‘This is a lousy team but man do they entertain on the palace intrigue side. Meddling owner, crotchety old President drug out of retirement to right the sinking ship who hires Jim Benning after he lost 80 LBs, shaved his head and assumed a fake accent who then hires every women he can find in hockey. Man I wish they would do a 24 in that management team. 

Hate to say anything wrong but would like to hear the full story from both sides.  

Seems she might have been criticized and couldn't or didn't take that well.If that is the case no schooling would help.Maybe she should have left before it happened again. 

Yeah we just got a new kitty last month so our other one could have a girlfriend, we thought it would give her company because we already have two male cats? For some reason though even after a few weeks they still hiss at each other when they get close? Wierd :P:lol:.  But seriously there's always two side to every story but from my experience HR has always been balanced towards the company they work for rather than the employee's they deal with.

2 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

You are in the minority when it comes to thinking that this looks bad on Castonguay. 

Rachel was not "working in high management". 

This has been a very bad look on Rachel. She has done nothing to help her own case along the way. 

Actually he's not, especially if you read the details of that claim she's filed.

Edited by Bure2Win

9 minutes ago, Bure2Win said:

Actually he's not, especially if you read the details of that claim she's filed.

The entire purpose of the document that Doerrie tweeted last night is to paint Castonguay and her actions in the worst possible light. Of course Castonguay is going to look bad if you only read this one side of the story and accept is as absolute truth. 

• Cheers 1