The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flames re-sign Mackenzie Weegar

Flames looking at a solid 4 year window at least, which is pretty darn good.

Giving out contracts like this when you are in their position is a lot different than us doing the same when we are likely a lot farther from contending.

5 years from now they could jumpstart rebuilding and trading away older veterans with 50% retained to get young assets back from the next wave of contenders.  Weegar at $3 million cap hit when the cap ceiling is $100 million would be chump change to get a veteran D man for depth, even if he isn’t a top 3 guy anymore.

Hats off to GM Treliving. He had what could have been a disastarous summer with the departure of JG and MT. The fact he was able to replace them with Kadri, Hubby Doo and Weegar, inking them long term is very impressive. Seriously, the Saddledome is a dump. Their core is not young but they are certainly ready to compete for a cup over the next handful of years.

Weegar, Anderson, Kadri, Huberdeau, Markstrom

Having those 2 RD players locked in has me very jealous. 1 of those guys would be sooo sweet for our backend, plus they still have Tanev!!

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Provost said:

Flames looking at a solid 4 year window at least, which is pretty darn good.

Giving out contracts like this when you are in their position is a lot different than us doing the same when we are likely a lot farther from contending.

5 years from now they could jumpstart rebuilding and trading away older veterans with 50% retained to get young assets back from the next wave of contenders.  Weegar at $3 million cap hit when the cap ceiling is $100 million would be chump change to get a veteran D man for depth, even if he isn’t a top 3 guy anymore.

I don’t know if it is a solid 4 years, definitely solid 2 years. Potentially up to 4 is absolute max though

Weegar will be on their top pairing for the next 4-5 years, so this is a great signing and great cap hit IMHO.  They have a clear window now of 4 years.  They need to make the best of it because after 4 years they will be done and paying 3-4 guys big money into their mid to late 30's...

Edited by Elias Pettersson

They won the trade, in the short term. The next 4 years there's no reason to believe there'll be a drop off from Weegar or Huberdeau. But who knows how these two look going into their mid 30s. But, Calgary has a window which is right now. So they're paying a premium for Marky, Huberdeau and Weegar's mid to late 30s for a chance at a cup now. They're a good team on paper. Gonna be interesting to see how this turns out for them in the short term. Cause long term there is immense risk overpaying so many dudes. But, there's always the chance they maintain some form going into their mid to late 30s. So it could just turn out to be a great trade for them even if they don't win a cup.

Edited by N7Nucks

5 hours ago, Honourable Hughes said:

Plus with the cap going up, his $6M will feel more like $4-4.5M

In order for 6 million (7.3% of the current cap) to feel like 4 million (4.8% of the current cap) the salary cap would have to go up from 82.5 million to 123.75 million. Most projections have the cap going up by 9 or 10 million in 5 years time. Safe to say that the cap will not be rising by 41.25 million dollars within the entirety of this contract.

21 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Yeah you're right and besides Horvat and Rathbone plus 1st wouldn't be good enough to get a Robertson.  

I can't think of a good quality RHD that we could get with that package. Schneider is not nearly good enough, the rest of the contenders don't have any RHDs under 25 not named Makar and Fox. Who am I forgetting? 

I would go after Dobson but NYI has a comparable in Horvant with Brock Nelson and they already have good center depth after locking Barzal down. I think Dante Fabbro is someone I would go for but I think that package we're sending them is overkill. They definitely would want someone like Horvat seeing their center depth isn't very good. 

7 minutes ago, suitup said:

I would go after Dobson but NYI has a comparable in Horvant with Brock Nelson and they already have good center depth after locking Barzal down. I think Dante Fabbro is someone I would go for but I think that package we're sending them is overkill. They definitely would want someone like Horvat seeing their center depth isn't very good

Nashville has without a doubt the deepest center depth in the league...

Screenshot_20221008-092405_Chrome.jpg

22 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Yeah you're right and besides Horvat and Rathbone plus 1st wouldn't be good enough to get a Robertson.  

I can't think of a good quality RHD that we could get with that package. Schneider is not nearly good enough, the rest of the contenders don't have any RHDs under 25 not named Makar and Fox. Who am I forgetting? 

Unfortunately, we're likely stuck in not getting a "Dobson" type. We can't afford the assets to get that caliber of player.

We'll need to focus on trading for expiring RFA's like Hague, more unproven guys like Schneider, Prokop etc or targeting undrafted college/Euro UFA's (we could use a Tanev 2.0 free agent) and hope a couple develop in to at least complementary #2-#4 D to play around Hughes/OEL.

Carolina, New Jersey, LA etc all have deep D pools, we need to find a way to snag some of that depth via trade and use that expanded front office/scouting department to find the next Tanev.

I’m still not convinced Calgary is a “great” team. Little Johnny and Turtlechuck had amazing seasons last year in contract years and Marky was great at times in the regular season (but also awful at times too). Hubie also had a great season on a really good team. Weegar also had a career year too. Their defense might be great but it’s going to be interesting to see if they have the firepower when it counts. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/7/2022 at 10:33 AM, Shayster007 said:

Flames won that trade in my opinion.

Nobody knows who won the trade until these players show what they can do for several years and even the rest of their careers it's all guessing.

After this trade I seeked out the opinions of Florida fans who are the people that actually know these players inside out and a lot of their fans were very unhappy with Weeger and Huberdeau especially in the playoffs saying that these players did not rise to the level they hoped and both didn't do much to help the team and even hurt their teams not producing enough and making critical mistakes especially Weeger.

Something else negative I doubt fans know here who are saying that it's such a steal for the Flames is that both these players were in the top 7 in turnovers last season which is definitely a team hurting stat and something that ended the high scoring Panthers playoff hope the last few seasons.

I'm going to wait and see how these players perform both offensively and defensively and how these contracts play out when these players are on the tail end of their Flames careers.

On 10/8/2022 at 10:48 AM, BobbyClarke said:

I’m still not convinced Calgary is a “great” team. Little Johnny and Turtlechuck had amazing seasons last year in contract years and Marky was great at times in the regular season (but also awful at times too). Hubie also had a great season on a really good team. Weegar also had a career year too. Their defense might be great but it’s going to be interesting to see if they have the firepower when it counts. 

I agree.  Markstrom was ventilated by Edmonton in the playoffs.  Neither he nor Tanev are as good as they used to be.  I expect the Flames to be hard-working and chippy but not very successful.  AND, none of them are getting any younger.  Hubie disappeared in the playoffs.  Kadri is still a puke and will draw penalties and suspensions.  And the roof could cave in at any time and then they'll be playing in a practise rink somewhere.  Plus, how many players are going to defect to get out of there this year?

• Cheers 1