The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jason Dickinson, 2024 2nd-round pick to Blackhawks for Riley Stillman

11 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

I hope you're right.  That means Kuz is north of 5.5 to re-sign - which means he is a hell of a player.

Let's see. I expect he is a 25/25/50 guy and 5.5 gets it done.  If he is better than 25 goals and 50 points halleluiah!

I think he's going to be a 50-60 point guy, which puts him out of Van's range without moving garland or boeser, imo.

1 hour ago, LTC123 said:

I don't understand trades like this:  What's the advantage for CHI to take on salary/overpaid roster spot to give away a good D?....just to get a 2nd round pick?    They give up Stillman to be anchored with cap?  

Probably following NYR lead-suck hard for a few years and acquire young talent and maybe/hopefully acquire some ready to go players once theyve done that.  Will be interesting to see if/when it works

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I think he's going to be a 50-60 point guy, which puts him out of Van's range without moving garland or boeser, imo.

With Ferland off and Dickinson moved and the cap going up and Virt and Holtby off the books the Canucks will have some 6.6M to sign Horvat Kuz and Hoglander to increases next year.  If Horvat get 1.5 of that and Hogs gets 500k there is some 4.6 to increase Kuz. So he can get about 5.5M on a new deal without us moving anybody.  Let's see...

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

With Ferland off and Dickinson moved and the cap going up and Virt and Holtby off the books the Canucks will have some 6.6M to sign Horvat Kuz and Hoglander to increases next year.  If Horvat get 1.5 of that and Hogs gets 500k there is some 4.6 to increase Kuz. So he can get about 5.5M on a new deal without us moving anybody.  Let's see...

Canucks next year are at 15 players signed with close to $16 million in cap space.  If Horvat is at 7 and Kuzmenko is at 5.5 and Hoglander is at 1.5 then that leaves only $2 million left to sign 5 more guys.  The math doesn't add up.  Also, I am assuming we are upgrading the RHD position and not going with the same guys again, so I'm thinking we will also need money to sign a RHD via UFA or trade for one.

At the end of the day, we need to make a trade.  It's either going to be Horvat, Boeser or Garland.  Pearson could work too...

Edited by Elias Pettersson

7 hours ago, BPA said:

With Seattle, I would try a bigger trade deal.

Rathbone + Garland

for

Larsson

Seattle gets a top LHD prospect and a top 9 F on a good contract.  Vancouver gets a legit top 4 RHD.

That would be my suggestion.

That's not a bad suggestion...  Seattle gets a scorer that will put fans in the seats (Garland would be a perfect draw there and get PP1 time), and gets a good young d-man...  my issue is that Larsson isn't enough value as I value Jack Rathbone and Conor Garland much higher then one Adam Larsson, and also Canucks would be in principle trading a 26 and 23 year olds for a 29 year old player.  

I do like the needs that get filled on both teams.  Rathbone and Garland would be perfect for Seattle, while Larsson is exactly what we need in Vancouver. 

13 hours ago, Dazzle said:

All this blame tho and not one for trying to address the defense. This was his only trade so far involving a defenseman. Allvin has a long way to go to prove himself.

Yep. Granted He certainly does, and we'll see if he can do it. Benning was given time to do it as well, and he hasn't addressed that right side either. Allvin has inherited Benning's team. I'm willing to give PA a little bit of time to undo a lot of the mess that JB got this organization into. 

50 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Canucks next year are at 15 players signed with close to $16 million in cap space.  If Horvat is at 7 and Kuzmenko is at 5.5 and Hoglander is at 1.5 then that leaves only $2 million left to sign 5 more guys.  The math doesn't add up.  Also, I am assuming we are upgrading the RHD position and not going with the same guys again, so I'm thinking we will also need money to sign a RHD via UFA or trade for one.

At the end of the day, we need to make a trade.  It's either going to be Horvat, Boeser or Garland.  Pearson could work too...

I don't think it's going to be Bo. Probably Boeser or Garland. 

Pearson could go, but he wouldn't fetch much of a return for a legit RHD. 

Brock would probably fetch the most out of the group of forwards you've listed.

54 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I hate to be the guy that says it, however Horvat and Boeser would be the ones to send out if it was up to me.  It would really help for them to have a big year to build up their value, which I have no doubt they will being on PP1.  

I'm a little bit tired of having such docile players on our team and would prefer the little pitbull in Garland or Pearson who always steps up for teammates.  I know that Boeser and Horvat are just as good but this would be my preference anyways. 

3 hours ago, LTC123 said:

I don't understand trades like this:  What's the advantage for CHI to take on salary/overpaid roster spot to give away a good D?....just to get a 2nd round pick?    They give up Stillman to be anchored with cap?  

This is a great trade for Chicago. Stillman is nothing more than a dime a dozen depth player, they essentially get a 2nd round pick for eating Dickinson's money.

11 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

This is a great trade for Chicago. Stillman is nothing more than a dime a dozen depth player, they essentially get a 2nd round pick for eating Dickinson's money.

I wouldn’t say that. He is a 24 year old whose stats are on the rise. He is a solid NHL player who also has a nice nasty edge to his game. 

The Hawks do not want to compete well this season as they are going to try for the Bedard sweepstakes. 

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Sorry partner your math is wrong. 

8 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Sorry partner your math is wrong. 

Vancouver Canucks Salary Cap, Draft Picks, and Player Contracts - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

CapFriendly shows 15 contracts on the books for 2023-2024 for $67,597,500 with $15,902,500 in cap space.  Those 15 contracts DON'T include Horvat, Kuzmenko and Hoglander.  I said if we sign Horvat at 7 plus Kuzmenko at 5.5 plus Hoglander at 1.5 that equals $14 million, which leaves us with 18 contracts signed and $1,902,500 in cap space to sign 5 more guys.

So, what part of my math is wrong?

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Vancouver Canucks Salary Cap, Draft Picks, and Player Contracts - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

CapFriendly shows 15 contracts on the books for 2023-2024 for $67,597,500 with $15,902,500 in cap space.  Those 15 contracts DON'T include Horvat, Kuzmenko and Hoglander.  I said if we sign Horvat at 7 plus Kuzmenko at 5.5 plus Hoglander at 1.5 that equals $14 million, which leaves us with 18 contracts signed and $1,902,500 in cap space to sign 5 more guys.

Cap is going to 83.5mil

i did your proposed contract plus added existing players like Rathbone and Joshua and we are still under the cap with 20 players 

if Kuzmenko can get 5.5mil then Boeser Pearson or garland will be gone

if Pearson is traded we can add Burroughs Aman and another cheap contract

198063F2-1CEB-4255-981F-B6A6643E3324.png

Edited by mordekai
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

I wouldn’t say that. He is a 24 year old whose stats are on the rise. He is a solid NHL player who also has a nice nasty edge to his game.

By all accounts and underlying numbers, this is simply not the case. Like Poolman, the fans of his previous team don't seem to care whatsoever that he's leaving, and there's likely a reason for that. The same way nobody in Canuck Land is going to miss Dickinson.

Perhaps he can show he can be a steady bottom pairing guy, I'm not ruling it out, but with what he's done in his career thus far he's pretty much a waiver wire type player.

I seem to recall in recent years us acquiring a couple other "24 year old D-men with tools and potential" and people trying to convince me they were good gets and then they were predictably complete disasters. So I'll believe it when I see it with Stillman.

Edited by kanucks25
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mordekai said:

Cap is going to 83.5mil

i did your proposed contract plus added existing players like Rathbone and Joshua and we are still under the cap with 20 players 

if Kuzmenko can get 5.5mil then Boeser Pearson or garland will be gone

if Pearson is traded we can add Burroughs Aman and another cheap contract

198063F2-1CEB-4255-981F-B6A6643E3324.png

This is no different to what @Elias Pettersson already stated. He also assumed $83.5m cap hit for next season and said we’d have $1.9m space after 18 players signed. We can definitely be under the cap with only 20 players.

However I think his points are valid that we would really need 23 players on our roster plus an upgrade to our RHD. So still valid points right?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Capped out like this so we better be 100+ point team. 

• Upvote 1

I'm really hoping we can offload Ferlands contract get out of LTIR and keep $2 Million unspent as we have that much in potential performance bonuses this year and It would be nice to go into next season with all our cap so we can re-sign Bo, Kuz and Hogs.

• Upvote 1