The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jason Dickinson, 2024 2nd-round pick to Blackhawks for Riley Stillman

Hey,  I’m happy for Dickenson to find his game,.  But he wasn’t showing anything , of anything with us here.

Perhaps he looked in the mirror before left and had a gut check..   perhaps it puts his personal life in order better,.  
who knows , who cares.

We cleared space..  and with it , we grab 2 D men that I hope have that same divine intervention that Dickenson found.. and can support with back bone to our ranks.

Dickenson who.… gotta let this stuff go and move on.

• Cheers 1

Dickinson is a douche. Scores a goal, flinches thinking there's contact coming, sees that it is only his teammate driven to the ground, starts celebrating without a care for his downed teammate... lol. 

I've seen hints of him being a douche on this team even with his invisibleness. Now this further confirms it. 

Would be pretty bad if Chicago flips him for a 2nd at TDL lol. 

For all those complaining about us trading away our 2nd round pick, go take a look at all the drafts in Canucks history and look at our 2nd round picks. Other than Thatcher Demko, we've never hit big. Best ones after that? Michael Peca, David Scatchard, and Mason Raymond. The others aren't worth mentioning, or never even played 10 games in the NHL (though I do think Danila Klimovich is going to be a player). I'm more disappointed about the 5th rounder we traded away in that other trade. We actually hit on those. Adrian Aucoin, Gino Odjick, Kevin Bieksa, Scott Walker, Gustav Forsling, Ben Hutton, Adam Gaudette.

Edited by Psycho_Path

5 hours ago, Psycho_Path said:

For all those complaining about us trading away our 2nd round pick, go take a look at all the drafts in Canucks history and look at our 2nd round picks. Other than Thatcher Demko, we've never hit big. Best ones after that? Michael Peca, David Scatchard, and Mason Raymond. The others aren't worth mentioning, or never even played 10 games in the NHL (though I do think Danila Klimovich is going to be a player). I'm more disappointed about the 5th rounder we traded away in that other trade. We actually hit on those. Adrian Aucoin, Gino Odjick, Kevin Bieksa, Scott Walker, Gustav Forsling, Ben Hutton, Adam Gaudette.

That's not really the point.  The point is, the management team came in and said that trading picks was not something they would want/could do, emphasizing this even more when it came to clearing out salary.   Now, they're down a seemingly productive 3rd line C and a semi-high pick, while improvement in the standings has not been made.

In any event, by your logic, it would be like me saying "Fans celebrating wins, go look at all the playoffs in Canucks history and look at our appearances.  Other than 1982, 1994, and 2011, we've never come close to hitting big".   

Just because it hasn't yet happened (success with 2nds, or winning the Stanley Cup) doesn't mean it can't or won't happen.  Keeping our picks, at minimum, gives us an opportunity to unearth that great player, and for where we are at, we should be looking to build our prospect pool.

Edited by AV.
  • Cheers 2

11 hours ago, coryberg said:

Too bad for them bowman cleared their cupboards on the Jones trade before he slithered away into his forever cave.

I don't feel bad for CHI cause they had recently won multiple cups, in the past decade.  Right now, they are doing the same rebuilding formula to win more cups vs the retooling strategy, of the Canucks - which will not produce a cup...

Edited by ShawnAntoski

So we gave up a 2nd round pick to get rid of a player who is averaging a point per game on the other team.  It’s almost like the Hockey Gods want us to suffer. 

A 3rd for Dermott. A 2nd to get rid of Dickinson. A 5th for Bear.  It almost seems like Benning is still running the team. 

• Cheers 3
  • RoughGame 1

10 hours ago, Psycho_Path said:

That's a terrible way of looking at it. That's like saying because we've pretty pretty mediocre for the most part when it comes to drafting and developing our own talent that we should simply continue to trade away 2nd round picks instead of working to change that narrative. 

I've repeatedly emphasized that this club needs to address it's defense by using it's picks to draft and develop it's own D. The last D we drafted and developed who went on to become a top 4 D prior to Hughes was Edler. That's pretty awful. Only way to change that narrative is to prioritize drafting and developing our own D, holding on to our 2nd round picks more often and using them to draft D in a round more likely to produce NHL players would be a good place to start. 

We used to be a goalie graveyard but we managed to draft and develop both Schneider and Demko, we were also able to rehabilitate and develop Markstrom. Only way to change a negative narrative is to actually do so, it's not good enough to look at our history and be like "oh, well, we're shit at drafting players in the 2nd round we may as well give up on having success drafting there". 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

I'm sure if Dickinson was still with us he wouldn't be this good. We'd probably have him at 3C getting shelled nightly and he'd have about 2 points but rack up a hefty -8 by now. Watching him in Chicago he's looked really strong, but so has the whole team. He's basically getting 2nd line center minutes and playing all situations.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I'm sure if Dickinson was still with us he wouldn't be this good. We'd probably have him at 3C getting shelled nightly and he'd have about 2 points but rack up a hefty -8 by now. Watching him in Chicago he's looked really strong, but so has the whole team. He's basically getting 2nd line center minutes and playing all situations.

Probably not, but at least we'd have our pick.

17 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Two things.

1.  Dickinson was traded and PAID to be taken.  He is now a ppg defensively smart 3rd line center at this stage of the season and people are rightfully shaking their heads at how this worked out.  Another 2nd round pick gone to take an asset that is producing above his cap.  Early in the season or not.

That's frustrating no matter what camp you're in

2.  That poster is entitled to their opinions and their right to post.  They'll be involved in far less interactions with the mods than someone following them across multiple threads derailing the conversation to engage in personal issues.

Just my two cents.

My 2 cents, while that is true, he was not performing like that here and Stillman addresses the need our team has for some sandpaper. This may still turn out to be a win for both teams. 

Either way happy Dickinson has turned it around was a fan of his going back to his play with the Stars. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Chicago playing their guys above board right now waiting to sell them through the year at max or increased value to stealth tank for bedard

• There it is 2

5 minutes ago, granpappy said:

its a dream ... don't see much of anything we need that were getting from stillman. also, don't see us getting a 2nd for him but its not too big a dream is it?

Maybe the “Major” announcement today will be a statement about the philosophy to properly rebuild, and collect picks/prospects?  

spacer.png

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Alflives said:

Maybe the “Major” announcement today will be a statement about the philosophy to properly rebuild, and collect picks/prospects?  

spacer.png

that ship has sailed. following the cup run, as i recall, we started the sh*t show by signign  ryan miller. jb thought the team was still competitive when he took over ... him and aquillini ... and they kept it up, tossing mid round picks like they were monopoly money to pick up ineffective fillers. and then, the cherry on top, we give arizona a 1st pick to take on their oel contract (head in hand, shaking head).jb was a disaster, he wanted oel so bad.

as it stands, i still think our so called core is pretty good, quite like;ly the most talent we have ever had at one time. the trouble, its well known, is we have no supporting cast ... all those 2nd, 3rd, etc round picks were meant to take care of that side of it. gotta blame aquillini as he didnt want to 'tear it down' and thought we could remain competitive during the rebuild or retool or whatever ... and jb for being his henchman

On 10/30/2022 at 3:27 PM, canuck73_3 said:

My 2 cents, while that is true, he was not performing like that here and Stillman addresses the need our team has for some sandpaper. This may still turn out to be a win for both teams. 

Either way happy Dickinson has turned it around was a fan of his going back to his play with the Stars. 

I think this only turns into a win for one team and it wont be ours. There have been very good players drafted in the second round lately. Could have grabbed a potential top 4 RHD like Chesley or Luneau went last year. All to move an asset that has a positive value now. 

• Upvote 1