The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jason Dickinson, 2024 2nd-round pick to Blackhawks for Riley Stillman

Wouldn't it be crazy if Stillman ends up being a 20 minute, 30-40 point scoring defenceman in a year or two's time. He's only 24, just notched 2 (easy) assists and a +3 against Montreal...

I jest obviously but to be fair he is still quite young. We should realistically burry him in the minors, let Rathbone or Wolanin or Burroughs or literally anyone else play for now until he can prove he can defend well (and maybe don't play him with our other liability, Myers), but I suppose you can never give up on a defenceman who's under 25-26 years old.

• Cheers 1

On 12/4/2022 at 6:36 PM, canuck73_3 said:

Stillman has been abysmal to ok. Dickinson wasn’t a fit here and ate up too much cap. Nothingburger deal being blown up. 

They way some are dwelling over this trade, you would think that you guys gave up Orr or something.

• Cheers 1

• 1 month later...

Just a couple points to this necro bump...

1.  Dickinson looked like Dickinson last night.  Whew....!  Although Stillman is still Stillman.  And we lost a 2nd.  Speaking of 2nd...

2.  Maybe I'm in the minority here, but man, for some reason I thought we lost our 2nd for this year's draft.  Nope.  This is a 2024 2nd round pick.  Lots of time to recoup the pick.  REALLY glad we still have the 2nd for this year's deep draft.

Anyways, that's all. 

• Cheers 2

On 10/29/2022 at 11:19 PM, ShawnAntoski said:

Good chance, Chi trades him for something - 6pts in 6 games

On 11/5/2022 at 12:02 AM, Provost said:

7 points in 9 games playing limited minutes and no PP time.

You can find several posts where I said Dickenson was my pick for a bounce back season.  He had been too good in his role for too long before coming to Vancouver.

On 11/6/2022 at 2:32 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

This is quickly going down as a stealth worst trade in our franchise history. Seemed like an innocent cap dump and now it's turned into trading away a 2C PPG and a 2nd round pick for a 7th defenceman who is single handedly losing us games.

On 11/6/2022 at 12:01 PM, Mustard Tiger said:

Paid a 2nd to ditch a near PPG fwd and take on another 1.4m capdump. Only this team man. Only this damn team would have this outcome lmfao

On 11/8/2022 at 4:04 PM, ShawnAntoski said:

This trade seems to be mostly about Allvins' analytics department: trying to unearthed a gem.  Instead it is CHI, that sold high and will more than likely, be trading Dickenson for something...

4 points and -7 in his last 23 games.

What a stud! Definitely a 2C near ppg player who has had a bounce back season and Chicago will be trading for something.The Daily Show Wow GIF by The Daily Show with Trevor Noah

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

Just now, coryberg said:

What a stud! Definitely a 2C near ppg player who has had a bounce back season and Chicago will be trading for something.The Daily Show Wow GIF by The Daily Show with Trevor Noah

Have you not been following what Stillman is doing?  Dickenson plus a 2nd is worth a lot more than Stillman and a tiny amount of cap space freed up.

Chicago is purposefully tanking, and is just terrible overall... Kane and Towes for example has +/- of -26 and -23 respectively while playing mostly in the offensive zone while Dickenson plays almost exclusively in the defensive zone so his production and +/- has to be put into actual context.

Dickenson would have been our 3C this year once it was determined Miller couldn't do it.  He is still a useful NHL player unlike Stillman who is trash. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Hmm did we say this stuff prior to yesterday's game or maybe was it in Oct / Nov lmao

• Upvote 1

I'd rather have kept Dickinson and the 2nd over a 5-6D in Bear, and I think Bear's played well. 

They painted themselves into a corner with Dickinson by going out and blowing their cap wad on more forwards, they'd have been better off giving him more than a single season to show what he could do. Could have just bought him out at the end of this season and still had our 2nd. 

12 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Kinda was the point being made, marginal player is marginal, next up water is wet. 

I still hate this deal and hate everyone who bumps it ( including myself haha! )

We really paid a pick in the mid 40s to take on a different multi year negative asset and save ourselves 1.4m when we actually could have used a bland 3C like Dickinson in a season like this 

Pretty sus assessment PA and JR came up with after being able to review this club for nearly a year prior to this deal lmao :unsure:

I want to be positive but it's friggin hard!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 1/25/2023 at 11:45 AM, Mustard Tiger said:

I still hate this deal and hate everyone who bumps it ( including myself haha! )

We really paid a pick in the mid 40s to take on a different multi year negative asset and save ourselves 1.4m when we actually could have used a bland 3C like Dickinson in a season like this 

Pretty sus assessment PA and JR came up with after being able to review this club for nearly a year prior to this deal lmao :unsure:

I want to be positive but it's friggin hard!

Dickinson was beyond useless here and they weren't expecting the wheels to fall of like they did. The knee jerk reactions and back pedaling are good for a laugh though. Along with the people who insist that we spent a 2nd to acquire Stillman, and not the actual fact that the 2nd was what was needed to dump a terrible contract.

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Cheers 1

If coaching was the problem, then trading draft capital to dump Dickinson was dumb. It was dumb at the time. Only got dumber as they make dumber moves. I dunno why we keep bumping this thread though. At least with the OEL trade we moved a high pick. And it still has major implications on the team, so bumping that thread is somewhat justifiable. This is a bottom 6 guy that net us the tank commander. Seems like a wash to me if we get a decently high 1st rounder. Why keep talking about a borderline nothing burger trade when we can go back to making unrealistic Miller/Horvat trades where we take 0 cap back somehow?

Remember when everyone said we shouldn't have traded Dickinson because he was doing so well in Chicago and looks like the old Dickinson?

image.png.b9357aa1700867aebe829d74f716f2ec.png

And remember how people kept saying we gave up a 2nd for Stillman because they were too simple to realize we actually gave up a 2nd to get rid of Dickinson?

Remember Jordan Klepper GIF by Paramount Network

• Cheers 2

45 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

Remember when everyone said we shouldn't have traded Dickinson because he was doing so well in Chicago and looks like the old Dickinson?

image.png.b9357aa1700867aebe829d74f716f2ec.png

And remember how people kept saying we gave up a 2nd for Stillman because they were too simple to realize we actually gave up a 2nd to get rid of Dickinson?

Remember Jordan Klepper GIF by Paramount Network

Can we give them Stillman back for free?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

If coaching was the problem, then trading draft capital to dump Dickinson was dumb. It was dumb at the time. Only got dumber as they make dumber moves. I dunno why we keep bumping this thread though. At least with the OEL trade we moved a high pick. And it still has major implications on the team, so bumping that thread is somewhat justifiable. This is a bottom 6 guy that net us the tank commander. Seems like a wash to me if we get a decently high 1st rounder. Why keep talking about a borderline nothing burger trade when we can go back to making unrealistic Miller/Horvat trades where we take 0 cap back somehow?

1 we did trade a second as well as Dickie. Dickie for Stiller straight up would have been a win

2 we just played Chicago, the team involved and Dickie's current squad, = bump the thread