The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Do You Have the Stomach For a Rebuild?

Rate this topic

Warhippy

Would You Accept A Rebuild?  

208 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 hours ago, EP Phone Home said:

It would’ve helped balance the club no doubt about it had we traded Miller. But even then I have had my reservations with the pipeline on our Defence. While acquiring more help on the backend for the here and now, I still think we need 3-4 blue chip Dmen in our system. That doesn’t happen overnight and definitely takes 3-4 years before they have an impact on the club. We need a top pair

*RSD that can play with Hughes 
*A LD replacement for OEL 

*A RSD to replace Myers

*Another RSD for depth or trade chip for other areas to improve. 

All that takes both a lot of picks to get right and then development. So to answer your question if I have wanted a rebuild, earlier in the summer. I didn’t want to sound like a negative Ned, but also maybe management found a way to get a gem or two from a trade or a 2nd round pick. But the holes on Defence for me have been a concern since we lost Tanev,Stetcher in the off-season of 2020. It takes a long time to build a defence and we have neglected it so far.

My heart will always belong to this team and of course I have the best intentions for this club. Sometimes you cheer with your heart and it gets broken. But deep down in the noggin of mine I sort of had the sense that to do this correctly we needed a proper rebuild. But I wanted to be wrong, still do! It’s just not a happy place for us fans right now. But the heartbeat of my passion for this will always be there. Accepting it is the first step. I think lots of fans are coming to this realization now and most are open for it. And that is a true fanatic my friend!

Cheers Spook007

Cheers amigo. 

I feel your pain/frustrations. 

Think we are all in the same boat. We want to believe, but as time passes, reality starts to set in, and the start to this season has been like a slap in the face to the majority. 

This team is unlikely to get it done. Too many holes to be filled and yes even Trading Miller for a RHD might not have been enough. 

Think they are stuck with OEL for the foreseeable future, but yes we need far more top rated d-men in our prospect pool. 

I was hoping for us to draft a d-man instead of Lekkimakki. 2 of them in particular stood out to me. Nevermind...

I think...... no I hope the next 5 games will be a realisation that this doesn't work, and they start to take it apart....

Sitting back almost knowing, that playoffs is a pipedream, while doing nothing, is as criminal as poor drafting/ poor team building. 

Once you can see it doesn't work deal with it. Go and tell the fans, you know they'll be disappointed, but they can see the same. And then let it sink. 

This season let it sink to the bottom, accumulate what ever you can, and take stock next summer. 

Will Owners accept? Not sure, will PA be allowed to continue with and exyend front office? (who cares)... 

If owners will accept PA to do it, maybe even tell him to do it, it may change the settings. 
But to hear PA say they came into Pittsburgh and after a retool they won 3 SC's made me cough and start to think he's a bit delutional. Hell of a difference when you've got Crosby and Malkin to build your team around. 

You know, I sit a shitload of miles away, and can watch when I chose (which for my hard tried wife is almost always live @ 3am). 

But you are the paying customer, the fans in the stands, season ticket holders and folks coming to games now and again. You are the voices. Unite and let the owners know you'll be behind them if they rebuild over the next 3-5 years or how long it will take...

I'd hate to watch our version of Arizona, but I also want to see a team winning games and play good hockey, so if this is what it takes...

Can I just quickly add, that I think, what made a lot more scream rebuild, has been the lazy play by Miller to start the season. 
The defence is really poor, but watching players sign a mega contract only to play like LE.... 

Anyway, once a Canuck always a Canuck. 
A proper fan. 

Cheers EP. 

Edited by spook007
  • Like 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

I'm curious who doesn't have a stomach for a rebuild, and why. 

It doesn't need to be a long haul...although yes it could be.   EDM lucked out with McDavid and Draisatl.   Eventually most teams get it back on track though, just takes time.   It's very hard to do what St.Louis and SJ have managed - as in teams that usually make the playoffs, with very little rebuilding along the way.     

TO, OTT, NYR, COL, LA., ANA...CAR, BUFF, EDM etc etc etc. 

You have to at least put your team in a position to get the next wave of talent.  It's possible that we could keep Demko, EP and QHs and trade all the rest.   And use some of those assets to even dump players.    

Doesn't need to be that drastic either.   But unless we go on a winning streak and some ... the clock is ticking. At this point we should be a playoff team.   To me anyways, if we don't or aren't in a good position by the TDL, it's time to pivot.  

• There it is 2

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

Cheers amigo. 

Think we are all in the same boat. We want to believe, but as time passes, reality starts to set in, and the start to this season has been like a slap in the face to the majority. 

This team is unlikely to get it done. Too many holes to be filled and yes even Trading Miller for a RHD might not have been enough. 

Think they are stuck with OEL for the foreseeable future, but yes we need far more top rated d-men in our prospect pool. 

I was hoping for us to draft a d-man instead of Lekkimakki. 2 of them in particular stood out to me. Nevermind...

I think...... no I hope the next 5 games will be a realisation that this doesn't work, and they start to take it apart....

Sitting back almost knowing, that playoffs is a pipedream, while doing nothing, is as criminal as poor drafting/ poor team building. 

Once you can see it doesn't work deal with it. Go and tell the fans, you know they'll be disappointed, but they can see the same. And then let it sink. 

This season let it sink to the bottom, accumulate what ever you can, and take stock next summer. 

Will Owners accept? Not sure, will PA be allowed to continue with and exyend front office? (who cares)... 

If owners will accept PA to do it, maybe even tell him to do it, it may change the settings. 
But to hear PA say they came into Pittsburgh and after a retool they won 3 SC's made me cough and start to think he's a bit delutional. Hell of a difference when you've got Crosby and Malkin to build your team around. 

You know, I sit a shitload of miles away, and can watch when I chose (which for my hard tried wife is almost always live @ 3am). 

But you are the paying customer, the fans in the stands, season ticket holders and folks coming to games now and again. You are the voices. Unite and let the owners know you'll be behind them if they rebuild over the next 3-5 years or how long it will take...

I'd hate to watch our version of Arizona, but I also want to see a team winning games and play good hockey, so if this is what it takes...

Can I just quickly add, that I think, what made a lot more scream rebuild, has been the lazy play by Miller to start the season. 
The defence is really poor, but watching players sign a mega contract only to play like LE.... 

A proper fan. 

Cheers EP. 

Good post Spook.    Your a trooper for getting up that early to watch games.   Have been away for most of this start - home get to watch a couple games...and hoping that includes a turn around.  

I really don't care who's on the roster as long as the efforts there ... that part i'm not happy about.    These guys haven't figured out yet, like Juice and others did, that the off-season isn't about frolicking around.   Sure have some rest - spend it with the family ... but come prepared.   Green was on JV but he didn't listen.  That part, or element, needs to be squashed out.    Won't change unless a culture change occur's.    We shouldn't be this bad.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Sativika said:

I bleed Canuck's blood. I'll put up with a rebuild for sure. However, they should've done it when TL was prez and instructed ownership to go the rebuild route. 

Well.....such is life in Canuckdom!

Both Gillis and Linden told the owner we needed to do a proper rebuild.  We saw what happened to them.  Most fans will stomach a rebuild, but will our owner?  Even this new management is trying to avoid rebuilding.  It’s been a decade of this philosophy and three management groups.  IMHAO this falls on our owner. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

Cheers amigo. 

A proper fan. 

Cheers EP. 

Amazing and well spoken post! It’s therapeutic to share our inner Canuck thoughts and pain.

I didn’t know that about you Spooks, I really appreciate what you have to do to watch the boys play. Always dedicated and bleed blue and green.

One day hopefully we can all witness our team win it all because it’s dedication like yours that shines through the darkness. Thanks again for such an awesome reply. Hope you have a solid day Spooks!

Cheers!

• Like 1

We need a rebuil.d

Why?

Our best RHD in club history is/was Bieksa

As I see it these are our needs?

Top pairing RHD.

Middle pairing RHD of size to eat minutes.

Minimum 2 quality fill in RHD prospects.

Middle and bottom pairing LHD of size to eat minutes

Top line RW

Middle 6 RW

tope flight RW prospect as our best option now is Boeser

Middle 6 LW

Bottom 6 LW

Our available prospects for these areas?  Karlsson, Rathbone, Woo, Juulson, Klimovich.

The kicker.  Our entire D core, by and large outside of Hughes and Dermott are older.  By the time we draft and develop these we will need to be looking at replacements for essentially our entire top 4 d core.  This is not even mentioning Pettersson being approaching 30, Miller aging out of his contract and Boeser having his 17th wrist injury.

The issue is, the age of our players between the D core and forwards is staggered so heavily that by the time we replace one we need to replace the other.  2010/2012 was great because our core was effectively all the same age, grew together.  It is also the last group this team ever successfully developed in the Moose system from 2004-2006 including Hansen/Burrows/Bieksa/Edler/Kesler.

Things need to be torn down period.  because we're gonna just do the exact same thing we've done since 2012 and pretend just changing the paint in teh dressing room will get this team over the hump.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, DSVII said:

Demko won't be operating at sub .90 forever. So the more important question is....when this team does inevitably bounce back and approaches the .500 mark. Will the fanbase still stick to the conviction we need a rebuild? 

100%

This team gets destroyed by speed.  Tonight's game is against the lowly seattle kraken, but they are incredibly fast.  We are without Dermott and Hughes.  On paper that forward group is like a porsche against a tractor when our top pairing will be Myers and OEL

Then we get 24 hours before facing the Penguins.

We could feasibly lose these next two games and fail to record a regulation win in October and while we might only be 6 points out of a playoff spot, this will only be our 2nd divisional game meaning 5 games against everyone in our division still barring 4 against Edmonton and Seattle.  Tons of points that will go either way in a tug of war where 3 point games are a death sentence to a playoff berth.

Next week is Jersey, Anaheim, Nashville.  2 incredibly fast teams and a defensive team.  Jersey is so fast I am actually afraid of them.  Anaheim wins or loses on the backs of whether Gibson cares enough to try.  Nashville can't score a timely goal to save their lives, but they are as much a victim of bad luck as our team is.

So ya, we could possibly pull to a .500 team within the next week.  But then we could also go winless to start November and I will still be calling for a rebuild

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Both Gillis and Linden told the owner we needed to do a proper rebuild.  We saw what happened to them.  Most fans will stomach a rebuild, but will our owner?  Even this new management is trying to avoid rebuilding.  It’s been a decade of this philosophy and three management groups.  IMHAO this falls on our owner. 

Exactly.  IF Francesco cannot stomach a rebuild, then call it a "renovation" or  "refresh".  Whatever you call it, it HAS to happen.  We are one of the worst teams in the NHL since we went to the Cup final in 2011.  Something needs to change.  

5 minutes ago, Zoobs said:

Exactly.  IF Francesco cannot stomach a rebuild, then call it a "renovation" or  "refresh".  Whatever you call it, it HAS to happen.  We are one of the worst teams in the NHL since we went to the Cup final in 2011.  Something needs to change.  

at this point, I can't stand anything but a rebuild

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Good post Spook.    Your a trooper for getting up that early to watch games.   Have been away for most of this start - home get to watch a couple games...and hoping that includes a turn around.  

I really don't care who's on the roster as long as the efforts there ... that part i'm not happy about.    These guys haven't figured out yet, like Juice and others did, that the off-season isn't about frolicking around.   Sure have some rest - spend it with the family ... but come prepared.   Green was on JV but he didn't listen.  That part, or element, needs to be squashed out.    Won't change unless a culture change occur's.    We shouldn't be this bad.  

Cheers amigo. 

Exactly... beyond frustration to see players doing fabulous things and bringing up expectations, just to see them come back totally flat and lack lustre. 
simply not ok... and I'm not pointing fingers towards main earners or not. 
They are all paid to do a job, so do it... 

We all f up now and again, but it should never be for the lack of trying.  
Does my head in. Worked my entire life night and day, and of course screwed up now and again, but can with my head held high, say that it was never for the lack of trying. 
I like what the former football manager for Utd Matt Busby told his players about fans. 
These are hard working people, who spend their money to be entertained.... somebody tell that to these overpaid drifters... 

I'm also starting to warm to the idea of a 1-2 year stealth tank. Suck real hard a d in 2 years supplement the team to succeed. 

On 10/25/2022 at 4:23 PM, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Retooling?  It needs a massive overhaul.:lol:  Two of the three only top 4 D on this roster we have are already older than Hamhuis when Jim Benning was hired as GM.  (That's how old they are now as Edler was SEVERAL years younger then as OEL or Myers).

In my mind, we have room for one top 4 guy - preferably a mobile yet strong defensive guy to compliment Hughes. This allows OEL and Myers to man the 2nd pairing, which I believe is at least completely adequate. That only leaves our bottom pairing, which I also feel is adequate. 

We aren't moving Hughes, and OEL's contract is next to impossible to lose. They are also two solid players - even if OEL isn't playing quite to his cap hit. After getting a partner for Hughes, that's already 3/6 set. Myers isn't playing to his salary either, but he isn't a bad player and an adequate 3rd d-man or possibly a top-end 4th. That's 4/6. Then there's Schenn who is really best suited as a 3rd pairing guy but does well in that role. 5/6. That leaves Rathbone, Poolman, Stillman, and Burroughs to fight it out for the last spot, which I think is perfectly acceptable. 6/6. It's not quite this simple due to handedness, but you catch the idea....

So again, while it would be nice to have more star power on the blueline, I don't think we are overall in horrible shape. Trade one of our many forwards for a permanent partner for Hughes, which allows everyone else to shift down into roles where they aren't given more responsibility than they can handle. Also, if our offense can get on track, we should easily be in the top half of the league for scoring which means more time on the offensive zone and less time in our own zone. This in itself should boost the defensive performance of the team in general, and would help take the pressure off the D and Demko alike.  I think we would be just fine.

That is, on paper. At the end of the day, this team needs to figure out why they are performing so poorly. Without that, no retool or revamp is likely to make all the difference.

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

The problem is no rebuild method guarantees success. Many teams have tanked only to retank, and then retank again. Tanking doesn't guarantee anything. What actually gets you to contender status is building around your stars along with good coaching and systems that optimize your players strengths.

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

We need a rebuil.d

Why?

Top pairing RHD.

Top line RW

Middle 6 RW

Middle 6 LW

Bottom 6 LW

Our available prospects for these areas?  Karlsson, Rathbone, Woo, Juulson, Klimovich.

The kicker.  Our entire D core, by and large outside of Hughes and Dermott are older.  By the time we draft and develop these we will need to be looking at replacements for essentially our entire top 4 d core.  This is not even mentioning Pettersson being approaching 30, Miller aging out of his contract and Boeser having his 17th wrist injury.

The issue is, the age of our players between the D core and forwards is staggered so heavily that by the time we replace one we need to replace the other.  2010/2012 was great because our core was effectively all the same age, grew together.  It is also the last group this team ever successfully developed in the Moose system from 2004-2006 including Hansen/Burrows/Bieksa/Edler/Kesler.

Things need to be torn down period.  because we're gonna just do the exact same thing we've done since 2012 and pretend just changing the paint in teh dressing room will get this team over the hump.

You are the Preacher in Penticton and I’m all for it. Such a sad reality that the best drafted and developed RD was juice. At some point you would think our scouting for this position has to drastically change no? You have been a very loud advocator of this glaring organizational weakness for awhile. I strongly appreciate it. Somethings got to change it has to. It’s why we are in this mess with no contingency plan on the farm and on the roster. It’s long overdue my friend. 

19 hours ago, EP Phone Home said:

100% He has to come out and say it. It HAS to be words that come out of Francisco’s mouth that will give fans the trust and belief again. Like you said perfectly, fans are disenchanted and feeling hopeless right now. To be so stubborn to try and trick the hockey fanbase again with this numb narrative of retool on the fly will have grave repercussions on him and his franchise. FA has to know that it was in this moment he knew, he f***** up. 

Frankie coming out and talking about a firm direction that didn't involve spinning our wheels in mediocrity would be welcomed.

6 hours ago, IBatch said:

I'm curious who doesn't have a stomach for a rebuild, and why. 

It doesn't need to be a long haul...although yes it could be.   EDM lucked out with McDavid and Draisatl.   Eventually most teams get it back on track though, just takes time.   It's very hard to do what St.Louis and SJ have managed - as in teams that usually make the playoffs, with very little rebuilding along the way.     

TO, OTT, NYR, COL, LA., ANA...CAR, BUFF, EDM etc etc etc. 

You have to at least put your team in a position to get the next wave of talent.  It's possible that we could keep Demko, EP and QHs and trade all the rest.   And use some of those assets to even dump players.    

Doesn't need to be that drastic either.   But unless we go on a winning streak and some ... the clock is ticking. At this point we should be a playoff team.   To me anyways, if we don't or aren't in a good position by the TDL, it's time to pivot.  

I'd rather a long haul rebuild that what we've seen on the ice most of the last ten years. If things don't change I'm not sure guys like Pettersson, Hughes, and Demko will want to stay in Vancouver. 

Could already see Bo deciding he wants a fresh start, almost all he's done here is come up in a losing environment. 

3 hours ago, DSVII said:

Demko won't be operating at sub .90 forever. So the more important question is....when this team does inevitably bounce back and approaches the .500 mark. Will the fanbase still stick to the conviction we need a rebuild? 

Sure, mediocrity won't change anything around here. I don't care if some think less of me for it, I hope this skid continues. The longer this continues to play out the more apparent it'll be that change needs to occur. We've been bad for years, I'd rather commit to being bad and rebuilding than trying to compete and failing. 

We saw it last season with Green, it'd be nice if Aqua came out and said we're going to rebuild the way he came out and addressed things after turfing Benning. 

I don't have faith in this veteran group, I'm not even sure the younger guys will want to stay if things don't change sooner than later. 

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

We need a rebuil.d

Why?

Top pairing RHD.

Top line RW

Middle 6 RW

Middle 6 LW

Bottom 6 LW

Agreed, I'm firmly on the rebuild train now. This team doesn't have what it takes and we've poor organizational depth. 

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, EP Phone Home said:

Amazing and well spoken post! It’s therapeutic to share our inner Canuck thoughts and pain.

I didn’t know that about you Spooks, I really appreciate what you have to do to watch the boys play. Always dedicated and bleed blue and green.

One day hopefully we can all witness our team win it all because it’s dedication like yours that shines through the darkness. Thanks again for such an awesome reply. Hope you have a solid day Spooks!

Cheers!

Cheers amigo. 
yes wouldn't that iust be amazing. 
all the best EP and enjoy the game. 

cheers bro. :towel:

• Cheers 1