The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Hurricanes trade Ethan Bear, Lane Pederson to Canucks for 2023 5th-round pick

I guess this trade means Alvin meant what he was saying about not rebuilding. I assume more trades are coming if we keep winning and if we keep losing we will be selling.

I'm not too happy about the retool, but if I can't change that (which I can't) I guess trading for Bear is a low risk high reward type trade.

generally I like making trades like this but for younger players, 23 or 24 years of age.

I don't think Bear is gonna do well, but you never know. at least it doesn't cost very much

10 minutes ago, Claiborne55 said:

Is Bear better than Chatfield and a 5th round pick?  plus over a million in cap space.

Well if you look at is as a whole… we traded a 2nd round pick to get rid of Dickenson so we would have cap room to give a 5th round pick to pick up Bear with that newfound cap space instead of a guy under a million.  We also gave up one of our best D prospects to replace Dickenson who we traded to make room for Bear.

so we net out…

Minus

Dickenson

Myrenberg

Dipetro

2nd round pick

5th round pick

Add

Bear

Pederson

Stillman

Some cap space for future seasons we don’t owe Dickenson

Give it a week and better options will be available on the waiver wire when we have high priority.

Edited by Provost
  • Upvote 3
  • Vintage 1

32 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Probably, makes sense that any management group would do their due diligence. And given how the last year has gone he'd probably take that 2.2M and run if offered it. 

This doesn't solve our D issues though, we have a bunch of bottom pairing D. Do they keep him over Schenn? Or is it over Burroughs? Because bringing him in has implications. If the idea is to hope he plugs a top 4D hole that's also concerning because it tells me they either can't find a legit guy right now or haven't been willing to pay up. 

5th ain't huge but this team has a history of moving out picks while also have a history of being shit at drafting and developing players outside the first round. The only way to change that narrative is to actually do it, they're hurting their chances of doing that this coming draft. I've repeatedly gone off about the importance of drafting and development, this isn't outta the blue for me, I'm disappointed. 

I'd rather have plucked someone off waivers.

With our injuries,  only Noah and Breezer  I think are at risk to go to Abby.

OEL MYERS

RATHBONE SCHENN

BURR  BEAR

Not bad not great either. 

Edited by Fen1010
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

Well if you look at is as a whole… we traded a 2nd round pick to get rid of Dickenson so we would have cap room to give a 5th round pick to pick up Bear with that newfound cap space instead of a guy under a million.  We also gave up one of our best D prospects to replace Dickenson who we traded to make room for Bear.

so we net out…

Minus

Dickenson

Myrenberg

Dipetro

2nd round pick

5th round pick

Add

Bear

Pederson

Stillman

Give it a week and better options will be available on the waiver wire when we have high priority.

Him being one of our best D prospects is not saying much…

I’m not crazy about that trade but also realize the likelihood of Myrenberg panning out is quite low. We picked up a better D prospect over the summer for free in Johansson.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Comparing a fringe NHL player in Bear to JT Miller is quite the stretch.  You should probably lower your expectations on Bear so you don't have buyer's remorse in the summer when we let Bear walk away for nothing...

That's the thing, I approach trades with an open mind. Perhaps you should try an optimistic approach rather than ruling it a failure from the get go. Perhaps it will work out well for us. It doesn't need to be a homerun, it just needs to fill a purpose and we could really use some help on the right side. It's a very low cost risk that could work out well. Yet you jump straight to doom and gloom over a 5th round pick that may, or may never, step on NHL ice for the next 5 years.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

He has a little more upside IMO but average upside at best. Stecher couldn’t stay a regular maybe Dermott/Bear can as 3rd pair D. 

Doesn’t solve our top 4 RD problems but maybe gives us a youngish 3rd RD

The problem with Bear as a 3rd RHD is he needs to be qualified at $2.2 million in the summer to retain him.  Are we going to be paying a 3rd pairing Dman $2.2 million?  

8 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'm not shitting on him, I'll give him a fair chance. I think most folks will. 

Thats good. The usual haters will do their thing I'm sure. 

And you may be right with the team history bit but that's not a black and white thing either. I get the sunk cost fallacy bit, but at the same time people's frustration with moving picks out given out history of moving picks out is warranted. 

Isn't it kind of like still being mad at your old boss for something happening at work today? I mean how far back should we go to be frustrated? 

Maybe he turns into something, thatd be great. Maybe he doesn't, probably not a big loss. But it's frustrating because I'd rather use our picks and miss that way if we've gotta miss. I've been hoping this management group can turn our drafting and developing around, that's gonna be so important if this organization ever wants to have sustained success, moving out picks doesn't encourage me on that front.

In the end it is what it is and no amount of conversation will change that, but it's frustrating. 

What do you want to use the picks for? if you can exchange a late round pick for an NHL quality player you do that every time if you have the roster room.

Are mad about the trade, or mad about the lack of a dedicated tank?

• Cheers 1