The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Hurricanes trade Ethan Bear, Lane Pederson to Canucks for 2023 5th-round pick

16 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Probably, makes sense that any management group would do their due diligence. And given how the last year has gone he'd probably take that 2.2M and run if offered it. 

This doesn't solve our D issues though, we have a bunch of bottom pairing D. Do they keep him over Schenn? Or is it over Burroughs? Because bringing him in has implications. If the idea is to hope he plugs a top 4D hole that's also concerning because it tells me they either can't find a legit guy right now or haven't been willing to pay up. 

5th ain't huge but this team has a history of moving out picks while also have a history of being shit at drafting and developing players outside the first round. The only way to change that narrative is to actually do it, they're hurting their chances of doing that this coming draft. I've repeatedly gone off about the importance of drafting and development, this isn't outta the blue for me, I'm disappointed. 

I'd rather have plucked someone off waivers.

I think he's certainly capable of being an upgrade on any of our RD right now. Whether he does or not, we shall see soon enough. Ultimately he's probably a 4/5 tops which would be a solid deal. Worst case he's a cheapish experiment that didn't work. 

We need to stop dragging in the entire teams history into every deal tho. Its not fair to the player. Lets not shit on him before he's even played a shift for us. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

exactly, its media and fans who pull the " deep draft " card. Ask the scouting departments of each club and while there is always a different mix of values it tends to play out quite similar year after year.

That there are people complaining that the Canucks just traded a 5th round pick, a potential player if they hit to be 30% likely to make the NHL for a right handed mobile puck moving defenseman who can kill penalties and block shots.....literally what the fan base wanted and for a 5th round pick. This is why Vancouver fans gets a bad reputation. Its not the best trade in the world but it is a win without a doubt.

Not to mention the player is ready to show what he can do after sitting in Carolina DUE TO CAP REASONS, not because his play dictated Jalen Chatfield out performed him lol.

The Office Thank You GIF

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Claiborne55 said:

Is Bear better than Chatfield and a 5th round pick?  plus over a million in cap space.

Probably not.  But, because he's a new shiny toy, some fans will forego using their brains and engage in anti-intellectualism to convince themselves this is a good move.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We gave up a 3rd for Dermott so I guess Allvin is improving...

He has a little more upside IMO but average upside at best. Stecher couldn’t stay a regular maybe Dermott/Bear can as 3rd pair D. 

Doesn’t solve our top 4 RD problems but maybe gives us a youngish 3rd RD

Edited by Junkyard Dog

Just now, JM_ said:

I think he's certainly capable of being an upgrade on any of our RD right now. Whether he does or not, we shall see soon enough. Ultimately he's probably a 4/5 tops which would be a solid deal. Worst case he's a cheapish experiment that didn't work. 

We need to stop dragging in the entire teams history into every deal tho. Its not fair to the player. Lets not shit on him before he's even played a shift for us. 

I'm not shitting on him, I'll give him a fair chance. I think most folks will. 

And you may be right with the team history bit but that's not a black and white thing either. I get the sunk cost fallacy bit, but at the same time people's frustration with moving picks out given out history of moving picks out is warranted. 

Maybe he turns into something, thatd be great. Maybe he doesn't, probably not a big loss. But it's frustrating because I'd rather use our picks and miss that way if we've gotta miss. I've been hoping this management group can turn our drafting and developing around, that's gonna be so important if this organization ever wants to have sustained success, moving out picks doesn't encourage me on that front.

In the end it is what it is and no amount of conversation will change that, but it's frustrating. 

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 2
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Poolman gave us nothing we needed defensively, and offensive play died on his stick.

bear can pk and moves the puck well.

After seeing how badly we got hemmed in our own zone against carolina, i do think bear makes us better. 

Excited to see what he can do, especially given that he's going to immediately get a chance to play top-4 minutes for the first time since he got covid. 

• Vintage 1