The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ethan Bear | #74 | D

-AJ-

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Appears pending RFA's are sorta crazy to go for these gigs. Not sure if we should sign him to begin with...

Yeah, it's crazy for an RFA to go play overseas when they don't even have a contract signed for 2023.  If you get injured seriously you could be out of a paycheque for a year...

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yeah, it's crazy for an RFA to go play overseas when they don't even have a contract signed for 2023.  If you get injured seriously you could be out of a paycheque for a year...

11 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I suspect all these players had insurance. Petey wanted to play for Sweden but could not arrange insurance fast enough. It sounded a little strange at the time but who knows? Your point about RFA or UFA's being reluctant is bang on. Even with insurance it is questionable whether an injury would not have long term impact on earnings. 

19 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I suspect all these players had insurance. Petey wanted to play for Sweden but could not arrange insurance fast enough. It sounded a little strange at the time but who knows? Your point about RFA or UFA's being reluctant is bang on. Even with insurance it is questionable whether an injury would not have long term impact on earnings. 

Bear is how old, 25?

He could average 2 mil per for 10. He’s risking 20 mil. That would be a very steep insurance bill for Hockey Canada. 

• There it is 1

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I don’t believe they could get a big enough insurance policy for Petey to play. I mean his next contract could be pushing $90 million. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I don’t believe they could get a big enough insurance policy for Petey to play. I mean his next contract could be pushing $90 million. 

How did they ensure the Olympic hockey team with all that talent? I don't know. It was done some how. I think the NHL and NHLPA has to sanction this type of thing.  

4 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

How did they ensure the Olympic hockey team with all that talent? I don't know. It was done some how. I think the NHL and NHLPA has to sanction this type of thing.  

I'm assuming to play in the Olympics players take some sort of risk.  For the WC I don't think most players if any would take that same risk...

Insurance or not, I wouldn't re-sign him, his QO is going to be what, 2.5M? I'd rather sign a UFA like Connor Clifton (coming off a 1M deal, bottom pairing minutes with Boston all year long) or Schenn or heck even Burroughs can play that role for a lot cheaper, or we take the option of acquiring a slightly better guy for only what, 2-3M extra?

3 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Insurance or not, I wouldn't re-sign him, his QO is going to be what, 2.5M? I'd rather sign a UFA like Connor Clifton (coming off a 1M deal, bottom pairing minutes with Boston all year long) or Schenn or heck even Burroughs can play that role for a lot cheaper, or we take the option of acquiring a slightly better guy for only what, 2-3M extra?

Yeah, Bear is nice, but not worth $2.0M+

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Boudrias said:

The WC today is more of a second class tournament and not a top priority.

If all players were available we could talk business.

8 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

The WC today is more of a second class tournament and not a top priority.

If all players were available we could talk business.

Would sure be interesting. If all players were available, does Bedard crack the lineup?

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Would sure be interesting. If all players were available, does Bedard crack the lineup?

Crosby didn't crack the 2006 lineup, but then, I think hockey world in NA is more accepting of young talent now. Who knows, maybe Bedard is better than Crosby at that young age.