The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Nashville Predators at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 05, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, stawns said:

You sell, for sure, but you don't sell on the young players with their prime years ahead of them and you don't sell on players who play key ropes that you don't have replacements for.  You can sell on miller without taking a massive step backwards because there are players who can fill that role.  You don't sell on Bo because there is no one on the team or in the system to fill that role and they'd be taking a massive, likely catastrophic step backward by doing so.

1 hour ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Okay but live in the now. We have EP and BO in a pretty strong top 6. Skills show on the PP but every other aspect of the game is very concerning. It's been a decade of finishing near the bottom. We added to last year's group and got worse. That's enough of a sample size to know the combination of players just does not work. It's not to say we even have any bad FWDS... they are all pretty decent in their own right... It's just our build is not working and I'm ready to start fixing that issue while guys are approaching 30 and looking for massive contracts

One thing people should remember that want to go scorched earth is how hard it is to make trades right now. That's why a measured approach is the most sensible without losing our shirt in the process. People need to relax. The team is in a quagmire, it won't be resolved overnight. What we do need to do is make the couple key moves like dumping Boeser and Miller for the best return. If we could accomplish that this year that's a success and the cornerstone for tomorrow.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Prior to the season when I was very hopefull we would look even a little different then a total disaster defensively... I would try to do that. But that ship sailed for me. 

1 player isn't going to fix the world's worst PK and the total 3rd period collapse. Focus should be weaponizing cap space + young assets for the roster / future trade pieces. It will align with our 3 year plan alot better

That's why Hughes, on top of miller and boeser deals, might be the best play they can make.  They need a deal where one player goes out and multiple good players come back 

3 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Prior to the season when I was very hopefull we would look even a little different then a total disaster defensively... I would try to do that. But that ship sailed for me. 

1 player isn't going to fix the world's worst PK and the total 3rd period collapse. Focus should be weaponizing cap space + young assets for the roster / future trade pieces. It will align with our 3 year plan alot better

Of course that’s better, but will our owner take a couple steps back?  

8 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

One thing people should remember that want to go scorched earth is how hard it is to make trades right now. That's why a measured approach is the most sensible without losing our shirt in the process. People need to relax. The team is in a quagmire, it won't be resolved overnight. What we do need to do is make the couple key moves like dumping Boeser and Miller for the best return. If we could accomplish that this year that's a success and the cornerstone for tomorrow.

I agree sir. Mine extends over the course of the next two seasons till majority of the dead weight falls off instead of paying to remove it asap so we could pay even more assets to try and fix the current roster

• Cheers 2

8 hours ago, rekker said:

Meh, losing a second in that Dickenson trade was just stupid. If it was solely a cap dump, taking back Stillman was just as dumb. I didn't like it at the time, hate it even more now. There were other ways to find the cap room for Bear. 

I’m not defending it just saying that’s the most positive part of that trade 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Of course that’s better, but will our owner take a couple steps back?  

I've noticed the majority on Twitter ( loudest bunch ) are all for it, Including the media are really starting to suggest it's the route to take. All polls keep showing upwards of 90% want to fix it properly. 

I'm just trying to fix what we can in JRs 3 year timeline he mentioned when coming here. We have to surround EP and Hughes properly ASAP along with a decent prospect pool so we arnt behind the 8 ball as we acend ( hopefully )

The Sabres have 20m in capspace and seem to be finally ascending around their youth. That's the situation we need to be in by the end of next season. 

Fans just need to be loud towards FA about have some damn patience, Listen to your fanbase or sell the damn team

35 minutes ago, Knucklehd said:

If we can trade Miller without retaining salary, we take it and run like the old Ikea commercial... "start the car!!"

As long as we can (pretty sure we can)

Retain 50% of only THIS year of Miller's salary.. That would do wonders in a trade. Gives someone like Boston a PPG fwd for only 2.6m

They will have lots of space next year. Honestly a perfect partner and team for Miller lol

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Strawbone said:

Miller vs Bo is like Republicans vs Democrats. Half the people are on either side and you’ll never get them to agree. 

Ha,

I was thinking of posting the same thing.

And just like politics we need a group that supports the centre(s).

In this case, support the great centres we have.

If people don't like JT as a centre, ok...how about as a top line winger that can take faceoffs when needed? He's very versitile, durable, a passionate leader, can play in every situation, can be the top point getter, Is on a very reasonable contract...I mean ,come on. 

Some people still are saying he plays lazy etc...

I think he on a 6 ( or is it 7?) game point streak, got a goal last night aswell as 3 breakaways...

People. It's not Bo or JT that are anywhere close to an issue on this team. Stop the partisan maddness!!!

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

Two day break until next game.  Daylight savings this weekend too. 

Good for travel, rest, practice. Work on the defense, PK. 

Two back to backs on this 5 game road trip. 

Martin will play twice I bet. 

No easy games. Going 500 will be a success. 2-2-1.

Edited by Jaimito
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, AlexBurrows14Yu said:

I think today was Demko.. he only faced 16 shots when third goal went in.. what else do you want from defence when they’re limiting shots against.. he should have had the last two goals.. but he gave up on the play both times

I don’t think demko gave up on the play personally 

12 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Old Demko would have had the second and or third goal.

Should never have made it to OT.

I agree I don’t think demko of last season let’s in 1/2 of those three goals. and they weren’t egregious goals.

But still can’t help but notice a trend of us getting outplayed or having collapses in the third period.

with Martin or demko in net. 

Edited by R3aL
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Mustard Tiger said:

I agree sir. Mine extends over the course of the next two seasons till majority of the dead weight falls off instead of paying to remove it asap so we could pay even more assets to try and fix the current roster

Exactly. Why waste assets now when we have an anchor in Myers holding up our whole pivot anyway? Should be aiming for when his contract is done for things to start fully turning around. Who knows maybe we can move him in the summer after his bonus has been paid. Until then our defence can't really be fully addressed.

• Cheers 1