The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Boston Bruins | Nov. 13, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, ABNucksfan said:

Watching him play is the evidence hes soft ;) Him going to a more flexible stick because “it easier on the body” is not surprising. He clearly doesn’t care about laying it on the line for his teammates and fans.

Might be a bit of a stretch but hey, Say something like “easier on the body” while being a hockey player maybe its time to find a new job. Which, thankfully the writing is on the wall, this will be soft as butter bo’s last season here. 

Horvats the last player on this current roster that can be connected to the the prior era. You know the one that went to the SCF in 2011.    2 weeks ago bieksa whist in practice before the game ceremony was shown skating around with BO talking and it was quite obvious bieksa has/had Bo under his wing so to speak. Bieksa was a leader. A throw back to a different era. But a leader nonetheless. bieksa recognizes Bo as a leader. Horvat leads by example His current points streak reflects that perfectly. Because his seemingly soft style of leadership isn’t as blatant as previous captains from other eras does NOT detract from his true leadership abilities. Bo leads by example ,blame for the current state of this team is not on Bo it’s on the the rest of the team NOT following his lead. Bo Horvats leadership style is much like Sydney Crosby on and off the ice. In game against Anaheim he got into a fight which was promptly broke up.  Bad take! ABNucksfan!!!! 

Edited by chon derry
  • Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

5 hours ago, BlackRedYellow said:

Unpopular opinion… but where is Petey when we face tough/better opponents!? (When eveybody blames Miller or Horvat for not hitting)

He completely goes quiet… then turns up with 4-5 points against teams like the Ducks or Coyotes etc… 

Agree.. he is invisible when his team needs offense the most. He hasn’t scored in a while… but everyone loves him for his points vs less weaker teams.

11 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

At this point I hope they don’t change anything.  Lean into this losing.  Sell what you need to.  Try to draft high.  Do whatever you can to trade Miller.

Should be enough pieces left over to start fresh with a real hardass systems coach (Sullivan?) next season. 

Trotz is the defensive master technician. NYI Tavares led team was one of the worst goals against in the league.   They lost Tavares, brought in Trotz and dropped their goals against to one of the best in the league in one year.   And made two conference finals in a row.  Their aging vets of course couldn't keep it up forever.    This team is still young enough but it would take a miracle like that at this point, and still at least one trade for a 22-24 year old top four D.   IF the owners make a bid for him then that's just another file, on the side of the ledger they just want bums in seats.  And $$$ now.   Have to wonder why Yeo is in the teams  back pocket.   To me he's a full tank coach.   Sooo....guess we find out soon enough either way.   

And either way we need to trade one forward.   Just for cap flexibility if nothing else. 

• There it is 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

I think our owner does keep out of hockey ops.  What he does is set the direction.  His direction is clearly wrong.  He needs to set a rebuilding direction.  

Yep.  Yeo?   Was he hired in case Bruce's team flopped?   Yeo was always a head scratcher ... but he's not a head scratcher if Bruce gets fired and Yeo takes over.   A rebuild patsy.  

• There it is 1

3 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Great evidence... a new stick means a player doesn't care :lol: and they're soft :lol: funny.....

Hey at this point we are all grasping at straws.   But this is a pretty bad straw grasp.   The stick is in there somewhere, but Bo's play has been terrific since 25 or so games to end to season last year.   Linden hit guys for sure but couldn't fight Smyl with one arm tied behind Smyl's back (whenever he did drop the gloves I cringed or watched it with hands on face through a crack in the fingers) ....  as for the stick, an idea that one can actually grab onto and make a good point - pretty sure that's our poor cap structure and lack of D.   

How can anyone complain about Bo's play?  He's playing great.    Leadership.  Come on.   Great players and players playing great wins cups.   Sure leadership is part of that formula, and good teams have stacks of them, not just one.    Bo didn't score a goal!   Sh!t what a crap leader.   Now it seems weird when he doesn't score a goal.   To me this Miller vs Bo is great, too bad it didn't include EP yet.   We need players that hate to lose.   We also need ones that are measured and even keeled so when that happens, they can keep that massive weight from crushing them.  

Culture change needs to happen organically.   It's anyones guess if it's personel or it's coaching or a mix or both.   But the easy straw - is we don't have a good enough defense.   And well our goaltending hasn't been a strength this year either.    Neither goalie has won a game yet for us. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

I’m sorry but anyone who thought this mess would be cleaned up in one off season is delusional or stupid. Period. 

Wow, look at you and your crystal ball and Ivory tower.

I don't think people expected us to be a contending team in 8 months (more like 10 months). But when the GM has skipped past trading assets for picks, and gone straight to signing core pieces (miller, Boes Mistakes!!) and picking up supporting UFAs (Mikayev, Kuuz) there's a general expectation from fans that we will be trending upwards, not downwards. Don't blame the fans for having hope, blame the GM for giving that false sense of hope by making significant errors. This is wasted year and now they are going to have to start over by trading assets for picks, something they should have done last year!

1 minute ago, JayDangles said:

Wow, look at you and your crystal ball and Ivory tower.

I don't think people expected us to be a contending team in 8 months (more like 10 months). But when the GM has skipped past trading assets for picks, and gone straight to signing core pieces (miller, Boes Mistakes!!) and picking up supporting UFAs (Mikayev, Kuuz) there's a general expectation from fans that we will be trending upwards, not downwards. Don't blame the fans for having hope, blame the GM for giving that false sense of hope by making significant errors. This is wasted year and now they are going to have to start over by trading assets for picks, something they should have done last year!

Our owner will not allow trading key core pieces for futures.  Like Benning, this new management is following the direction set out by our owner.  It’s a foolish direction, and we should be doing like you’re suggesting, but that just will not happen until our owner gives the okay.  And he refuses. 

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Our owner will not allow trading key core pieces for futures.  Like Benning, this new management is following the direction set out by our owner.  It’s a foolish direction, and we should be doing like you’re suggesting, but that just will not happen until our owner gives the okay.  And he refuses. 

In an earlier post Alf you said ownership had to have an attitude adjustment about how winning teams are constructed. I would expand that critic and suggest that most of the Canuck fanbase have to rethink this team. I don't know how the Acquilinis view the Canuck situation. Most likely their attitude is much like most Canuck fans. They want a winner. What I have seen of their tenure is a willingness to pay to the maximum to make a winner possible. Have they followed the best possible directions? If they have not then a fair level of blame should be placed on team management who have not convinced them of an alternate route. There have been a series of people who have moved thru the org and have failed. 

I don't put all the blame for what is going on with the Canucks on ownership. At some point the fans have to seriously look at their own attitudes. Quick to suggest they want a serious rebuild but then call for playoffs at whatever price. Historically management has most often folded and made short term deals to do what the fans screamed for, playoffs. 

A tear down could take another 5 years in the wilderness. Most of the players we consider core will likely be gone. A lot of losing in the process. No guarantee of success. All this aside I think it has to be done. 

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, grandmaster said:

Give your head a shake. This has to be the dumbest post I’ve seen. Ever 

I think your response tops it...... based on the quality of your response I doubt that you were around during the era in question

Lazy play, sulky attitude, not living up to a big contract, questionable leadership ... seems about right. Why makes you see a difference?

Edited by GB5
  • Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

9 minutes ago, GB5 said:

I think your response tops it...... based on the quality of your response I doubt that you were around during the era in question

Lazy play, sulky attitude, not living up to a big contract, questionable leadership ... seems about right. Why makes you see a difference?

Your post was utter garbage. Miller is meeting his offensive expectations and does put in effort. You obviously have a hate on for the guy so much that you will only see his mistakes and act like no one else on the team is doing the same thing. The team is disjointed with several of our key players not being good defensively, not just Miller.

I used to be a Messier fan and recognized that he did absolutely nothing of value. I went to games and saw how bad it was, ended up hating the guy for not putting in any effort.  For you to say that these guys are the same is truly ignorant. Miller sweats his bag off every game.

Also, Miller didn’t rip the C off of Bo and never will.

Miller kept bettering himself and got 99 points as our co-MVP last season while Messier highest point total was 60 points and had very little value to the team.

Your unintelligent argument is truly irritable to every Canuck fan that watched that era. 

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

13 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Your post was utter garbage. Miller is meeting his offensive expectations and does put in effort. You obviously have a hate on for the guy so much that you will only see his mistakes and act like no one else on the team is doing the same thing. The team is disjointed with several of our key players not being good defensively, not just Miller.

I used to be a Messier fan and recognized that he did absolutely nothing of value. I went to games and saw how bad it was, ended up hating the guy for not putting in any effort.  For you to say that these guys are the same is truly ignorant. Miller sweats his bag off every game.

Also, Miller didn’t rip the C off of Bo and never will.

Miller kept bettering himself and got 99 points as our co-MVP last season while Messier highest point total was 60 points and had very little value to the team.

Your unintelligent argument is truly irritable to every Canuck fan that watched that era. 

Miller puts in the effort when he feels like it

• Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

In an earlier post Alf you said ownership had to have an attitude adjustment about how winning teams are constructed. I would expand that critic and suggest that most of the Canuck fanbase have to rethink this team. I don't know how the Acquilinis view the Canuck situation. Most likely their attitude is much like most Canuck fans. They want a winner. What I have seen of their tenure is a willingness to pay to the maximum to make a winner possible. Have they followed the best possible directions? If they have not then a fair level of blame should be placed on team management who have not convinced them of an alternate route. There have been a series of people who have moved thru the org and have failed. 

I don't put all the blame for what is going on with the Canucks on ownership. At some point the fans have to seriously look at their own attitudes. Quick to suggest they want a serious rebuild but then call for playoffs at whatever price. Historically management has most often folded and made short term deals to do what the fans screamed for, playoffs. 

A tear down could take another 5 years in the wilderness. Most of the players we consider core will likely be gone. A lot of losing in the process. No guarantee of success. All this aside I think it has to be done. 

Not only that a "tear down", the way people are using it here, is a myth.......4 big moves is about as "tear down" as any team goes.  What many are clamouring for here would set the org back decades.........that's never going to happen.

Nor does it need to

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

John Marino in the offseason does not help this team

We have zero balls. 

It's always been the Canucks issue ever since the Sedin era. 

We don't have the a hole guys that are willing to go out and put the other guy in a stretcher to win. 

Too many nice guys that don't command fear or respect on the ice. 

Fun team to play against. 

Need to change the identity of this team. If you beat us, you'll leave the game in pain because we will absolutely do everything we can to hurt you on the ice. 

Soon enough our young stars will start seeing more open ice. 

Aaron Rome literally put a guy on a stretcher… Raffi Torres, Rick Rypien RIP, Bieksa, Kesler, Tanner Glass.. We’ve had plenty of snarl over the years.

We tried with Dorsett to keep that going, unfortunately he had a career ending surgery, then we tried with Ferland and he had concussion issues.. JT Miller has some snarl, Podz was dropping the mitts, Pearson has dropped the mitts a few times… I dont think this team is that soft. Plus Myers has a mean side to him. They brought in Joshua for this reason, but he hasnt really shown much of it.

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1