The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Schenn to Leafs. They need Dmen

Realistically we could just slot Burroughs in full-time to provide some toughness if we move either Myers or Schenn. Bear, Myers/Schenn, and Burroughs would do for the remainder of the season. Keeper and Juulsen are in Abbotsford as RD depth if injuries hit. Woo even. 

• Cheers 1

We need more Schenns, not less.  I'd push to sign him for another year, unless we can get a very good return for him.  Regardless of the direction our management goes in the coming months, having a cheap, stable veteran presence will certainly be needed. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

That's a problem with the Leafs, there really isn't much there I'd want. Sandin? Liljegren? Niemela?

If we can somehow snag Liljegren in a trade involved Schenn and/or Myers, then I'd certainly be game.  He's a lotto ticket, but has some good elements.  Worst case scenario you get some cap certainty if you trade Myers (Even retained).

10 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

If we can somehow snag Liljegren in a trade involved Schenn and/or Myers, then I'd certainly be game.  He's a lotto ticket, but has some good elements.  Worst case scenario you get some cap certainty if you trade Myers (Even retained).

Liljegren is an absolute tire fire in his own zone.  He has zero chance of every turning into a legit NHLer and I wouldn't take that useless pylon for free.  No more defencemen who can't play defence.

The only thing I'd actually want from Toronto is draft picks.

Edited by King Heffy

10 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Liljegren is an absolute tire fire in his own zone.  He has zero chance of every turning into a legit NHLer and I wouldn't take that useless pylon for free.  No more defencemen who can't play defence.

The only thing I'd actually want from Toronto is draft picks.

Not that I hold full value in this stat, but his +/- is +3 this year and was +15 last year.  Not sure the stats show him at tire fire level.  Still a young D regardless.

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

He's cheap and he'd replace some of the abrasive element that Muzzin brought to their D though

All that more reason for them to go after more short-term options imo, particularly given how OEL's struggled this season 

My concern is that we wouldn't get more than a 4th rounder and I don't feel like that's enough for Schenn.

29 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Unless we're getting a pair of 1st round picks. 

NO.

He's one of the few good defencemen we have. 

That's not saying much, and if the idea is to be bad that's just another reason to move him. Burroughs can slot in and replace some of his toughness. 

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Maybe, it's hard to say, players are only worth as much as teams are willing to pay 

Hmm, I would say externally, that's true, but his worth to Vancouver might be more than he'd get in a trade, meaning it might not be worth trading him. I always felt the same about Tanev too.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Hmm, I would say externally, that's true, but his worth to Vancouver might be more than he'd get in a trade, meaning it might not be worth trading him. I always felt the same about Tanev too.

He might be, he might not be. But he's also 33 years old, it's hard to say how long he plans on playing and it's also hard to say how long he'll continue to play above his paygrade. As a pending UFA he should be due for a raise at the very least. 

I'm of the mind that a bottom feeder should be taking calls on everyone, and realistically if Schenn is in your top 4 that speaks to the quality of your D. Tanev and Schenn aren't remotely the same, Tanev was a legit to 4D but also a guy who folks had legitimate injury concerns about. There were questions as to how his body would hold up, I doubt anyone saw him being healthy in Calgary the way he has been. I was okay with letting him walk because of health concerns at the time. Schenn is realistically a bottom pairing guy on a better team, but also a guy who can play a bit higher if needed as he's shown. 

I won't be upset if we keep him, I understand his value to the team, but folks wanting to hold on to everyone won't help this team if we trend towards rebuild, or even retool territory. Schenn is a piece any team could easily slot in, and as one of our better performing players over the last couple seasons more than likely a guy we'd probably get calls on. 

But then again, I'm a bit more ruthless when it comes to moving players out than some. 

Edited by Coconuts

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

He might be, he might not be. But he's also 33 years old, it's hard to say how long he plans on playing and it's also hard to say how long he'll continue to play above his paygrade. As a pending UFA he should be due for a raise at the very least. 

I'm of the mind that a bottom feeder should be taking calls on everyone, and realistically if Schenn is in your top 4 that speaks to the quality of your D. Tanev and Schenn aren't remotely the same, Tanev was a legit to 4D but also a guy who folks had legitimate injury concerns about. There were questions as to how his body would hold up, I doubt anyone saw him being healthy in Calgary the way he has been. I was okay with letting him walk because of health concerns at the time. Schenn is realistically a bottom pairing guy on a better team, but also a guy who can play a bit higher if needed as he's shown. 

I won't be upset if we keep him, I understand his value to the team, but folks wanting to hold on to everyone won't help this team if we trend towards rebuild, or even retool territory. Schenn is a piece any team could easily slot in, and as one of our better performing players over the last couple seasons more than likely a guy we'd probably get calls on. 

I'm not saying hold onto him for nostalgia sake. I'm saying this because he's one of the few things that is working with the club. If he asks to be moved at the deadline that's another matter. Burroughs is no where as good a defenceman as Schenn. Let's move some bigger pieces first. 

11 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'm not saying hold onto him for nostalgia sake. I'm saying this because he's one of the few things that is working with the club. If he asks to be moved at the deadline that's another matter. Burroughs is no where as good a defenceman as Schenn. Let's move some bigger pieces first. 

He's not, but that's part of the point. If there's a season to bottom out it's probably this one. We've also got a glut of "what if's" we'll need to make room for. They likely re-up another RD in Bear, and Dermott is also a pending RFA who can play both sides. Our top RD prospect in Filip Johannson could also step in as early as next season if he has a good camp. There's depth in place at RD that'd get us through the remainder of the season. Hell, Poolman may very well return at some point.

At 33 it's not as if Schenn is going to be a long-term core piece anyway. Which isn't to say he probably couldn't provide value til retirement. If the idea is to be bad for a while and change the roster and culture it likely also means playing younger players more. It's not as if we wouldn't still have vets on the roster, I doubt OEL is going anywhere. 

If a team offers really good value for Schenn I take it, run, and plunk someone else into his spot. I like Schenn, I understand why people want to keep him, but I'm all about assets at this point. There's not a lot of room for sentimentality when it comes to a rebuild. 

Edited by Coconuts