The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Los Angeles Kings at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 18, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

7 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Why pigeonhole him as a 7th D? At least on this roster right now, he belongs in the top 6 when he plays well, at least from what I’ve seen.  

To me this is just a way to tell us he won’t play much no matter how anyone else plays. 

• RoughGame 1

17 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

They'll probably trade Burroughs away, to take the heat off of Stillman. 

I wish our media would ask the tough but well researched questions that are backed by analytics along with the eye test like asking how they feel about Burroughs' play which is backed up by evidence A B and C... And what he needs to do better to become a regular nhler... There's ways to ask questions that are leading but not threatening or overly critical... 

I'm too lazy and dumb to do the research but I believe I remember Burroughs actually having great stats in terms of analytics (I may be wrong) 

• Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I wish our media would ask the tough but well researched questions that are backed by analytics along with the eye test like asking how they feel about Burroughs' play which is backed up by evidence A B and C... And what he needs to do better to become a regular nhler... There's ways to ask questions that are leading but not threatening or overly critical... 

I'm too lazy and dumb to do the research but I believe I remember Burroughs actually having great stats in terms of analytics (I may be wrong) 

I think BB is just training Demko back to his old self.

He want Stillman to giveaway the puck in intricate situations for Demko to flex his muscles. :bigblush:

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Coconuts said:

It's okay, we still have Jannik Hansen who holds nothing back when it comes to the Canucks 

Yes we do and lucky for it because he's a Canuck himself.   Ripping on the Canucks contract structure, when they "haven't done anything yet" can't be taken literally though because every team in the entire league is doing this.    

Sure that he know's better, the team did it with the Sedins too (8.35% of the cap each on a bridge after ONE decent season for example)  - it doesn't matter what someone has or hasn't done, it only matters who that player compares to if he's a UFA plus the market,   and RFAs  get paid primarily on what folks think they can do.   Sedins sure did, as do both highly touted players, and or ones that did what Brock, QHs and EP did on their ELC's.    Nobody expects 18-21 year olds to "peak".   

What id love him and other media types to do is get on the Burkie train, who's been hammering this drum since Penner was poached.   Why should guys get third contract money on their second deal?   Feel the league needs to address this.    Put a cap on RFA deals.   It's a strange business where guys who can't grow a beard yet, take such a big part of the pie, and guys like Schenn and Edler have to take peanuts to play at all.   A lot do solid vets have retired early as a result, when absolutely they'd be better options then 3-4 guys on most teams.   The fans suffer as a result too.   Sure it's nice to see new faces, but there 100% is an AHL element added.    Players used to have to earn their spot on the roster and for sure they still do ... but it's also easier now than ever to do that.    Guess before guys got on that probably shouldn't because they used their fists to get a shot.   But a lot of those guys ended up as very good players.   Tonordi for example.     Used to be that you had to literally fight your way onto a roster if your were fringe ... now it's almost a given you get some games just to make cap work. 

• Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

He passed the eye test for me last year, as a player that belongs in this league either on our team or somewhere else as a 6-8th D.   We need a Bieksa type or Burrows, or Hansen.   A guy who worked his butt off to get to this level, and forced their way into the lineup as a result.    Personally love an underdog story.    Burroughs is a bit old, but who cares - if he can do it, give him the spot.

It does say something about our cap structure, and the tiny difference in the level that these guys play when Brisbois settles things down, and all heart Burroughs just keeps doing his thing.   To me he could be our current Stetcher with more sandpaper.    And also lets us trade Myers and not take too much of a hit even without a replacement right away.    Sure he will get more games.   And that he's loving every game he gets to play as well. 

20 hours ago, stawns said:

Petey is becoming a dominant player before our eyes and his line is fun to watch.......which means BB will probably split them up 

That was the first game I've seen a glimpse of last year's team.  I know everyone is dreaming of bedard etc, but I'd much rather see them win. That said, they still have to make some serious roster moves, regardless of how they're playing.

Bruce There it Is.   Would sure be nice to get back to that wouldn't it?   Team for sure can ... it's mostly the same roster.  That team was very good, especially down the stretch until Horvat got injured.   Considering the hole we started in... sure would have been great to see us as fans get rewarded and even more so the players and team.      We know they can do it.   

Brock/Garland and Myers out and a decent 4-5 D vet back would be a good first step.   A blockbuster like Seth Jones would be something too... If Myers went to TO for 50% retained we'd have the space.    That would be a solid defense core, and give the team time to draft for later. 

CHI might want to get out from under that contract.   Would you trade Brock and next years first for Seth Jones?   Free agency will not fix our D.   We were lucky to get Myers in the first place ... a lot of teams are looking for RHDs ... AP and Hamilton's are very rare (and i wanted Hamilton badly - but 32 teams bad odds winning that sweepstakes!)... We'd be able to create three very solid pairings or two very good ones with Seth Jones as our anchor.    Seems like a JB like move, but as you know this core's in serious trouble if they can't upgrade their defense.   Most rebuilding teams come out with at least two drafted defenseman.   Sedins had Bieksa and Edler (and would have had Bourdon too ... RIP), WCE era has Aucion/Ohlund/Sopel (92/94/95)... it takes years to develop these guys.   Maybe that player in Frolunda is close ?   

To me i see two paths.   One is we

make a hockey trade and sign Horvat.   That has to include a top four D or it won't work.     The other is we blow it all to smitherings and target 3-4 years down the road instead.    EP/QHs/OEL only guys we keep.   Don't mind either one.   But something inbetween concerns me.  

Edit:  We can pray for a trade like Lumme for a second.   Or Scheaffer for Salo.   But those are extremely rare too.   Podz for a Salo would also work of course lol.   Hogs for a Salo.   That's even better.   Bear was a decent pick-up as was Dermott.    Those are the norm though.   Same as Stillman really, and for all those complaining about him don't forget it including dumping Dickinson's cap.    If CHI wants to play ball - maybe Dermott or Burroughs plus Brock would make them happy, but expect it's going to have to hurt more then that.   And he's got a NMC.   So probably not going to happen. 

Edit:  Still thin NJ could trade Severson even if they are kicking butt still at the TDL.   Marino, plus Nemec and Luke Hughes in the wings ... tiny chance he stays in NJ. Averaging 40 points per season per games played for four years heading into this year ...  Weager, Dumba, Severson and Klingberg all looking for their pay days.    Weager of course would be my first choice, Klingberg my last, but Dumba a close second to last.    All these guys will sign deals that likely eclipses Myers.   RHDs are very tough to find. 

Edited by IBatch

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

Yes we do and lucky for it because he's a Canuck himself.   Ripping on the Canucks contract structure, when they "haven't done anything yet" can't be taken literally though because every team in the entire league is doing this.    

Sure that he know's better, the team did it with the Sedins too (8.35% of the cap each on a bridge after ONE decent season for example)  - it doesn't matter what someone has or hasn't done, it only matters who that player compares to if he's a UFA plus the market,   and RFAs  get paid primarily on what folks think they can do.   Sedins sure did, as do both highly touted players, and or ones that did what Brock, QHs and EP did on their ELC's.    Nobody expects 18-21 year olds to "peak".   

What id love him and other media types to do is get on the Burkie train, who's been hammering this drum since Penner was poached.   Why should guys get third contract money on their second deal?   Feel the league needs to address this.    Put a cap on RFA deals.   It's a strange business where guys who can't grow a beard yet, take such a big part of the pie, and guys like Schenn and Edler have to take peanuts to play at all.   A lot do solid vets have retired early as a result, when absolutely they'd be better options then 3-4 guys on most teams.   The fans suffer as a result too.   Sure it's nice to see new faces, but there 100% is an AHL element added.    Players used to have to earn their spot on the roster and for sure they still do ... but it's also easier now than ever to do that.    Guess before guys got on that probably shouldn't because they used their fists to get a shot.   But a lot of those guys ended up as very good players.   Tonordi for example.     Used to be that you had to literally fight your way onto a roster if your were fringe ... now it's almost a given you get some games just to make cap work. 

What a novel idea. A CAP within the CAP! The accounting departments within NHL orgs will be hiring more pencil pushers (Like me) to keep track. :) I am making fun but otally understand and kinda agree with your point. AT what point does the last deal that goes down get discounted by other NHL orgs as being irresponsible. The level of desperation varies significantly within the league. Timelines impact certain actions as well. Many moving parts.    

6 hours ago, IBatch said:

Weager, Dumba, Severson and Klingberg all looking for their pay days.    Weager of course would be my first choice, Klingberg my last, but Dumba a close second to last.    

Weegar has already signed an extension in Calgary. 

An often overlooked UFA target is Zub. He is playing top 4 minutes and is an underrated defense first Dman. Could likely get him on a more serviceable contract than Severson or Dumba. Our Russian connections may also make it easier for us to sign him as a UFA too.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

An often overlooked UFA target is Zub. He is playing top 4 minutes and is an underrated defense first Dman. Could likely get him on a more serviceable contract than Severson or Dumba. Our Russian connections may also make it easier for us to sign him as a UFA too.

I’d be all in on Zub if he hits UFA. Perfect partner for Hughes. He’s probably looking at a contract in the $4.5 million range. He’s a true defensive defenceman. 

• Cheers 4

44 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Im a big fan of Zub, only reason I can imagine him not getting re-signed though is if he doesnt like Ottawa

Im sure Ottawa will do everything they can to keep him

• Sad 1