The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Roberto Luongo to be inducted into Canucks Ring of Honour

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, 24K PureCool said:

He requested a trade. That is the cardinal sin for me. No matter the circumstance, a Canuck deserving of jersey retirement never ask for a trade. 

I beg to differ and he asked for one thing, didn't get it so decided he'd be better off on another team.

But his play and achievements here and in his career deserve his spot as one of the superstars in our game.

23 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

They probably don’t want to disrespect McLean by retiring #1 for Luongo 

I don't think people realize McLean and Luongo SHARE #1 or #2 spots in all statistical categories for this franchise.  If McLean is ROH, so goes Luongo.

4 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

I beg to differ and he asked for one thing, didn't get it so decided he'd be better off on another team.

But his play and achievements here and in his career deserve his spot as one of the superstars in our game.

It comes down to does a retired number just depends on performance or is it performance plus something intangible. 

People want his number retirement will judge purely on the numbers and those that does not will factor in other things off the ice. 

23 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

He requested a trade. That is the cardinal sin for me. No matter the circumstance, a Canuck deserving of jersey retirement never ask for a trade. 

Bure?

Team and fans chased him wrongfully out the crease and out of town. 

he deserves to be retired. Simple fact and I hope we get loud and demand it and they make a change to their plans

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

By you handle referring to Pettersson I assume YOUR history with the Canucks in very long. The antics Luongo got up to while playing in Vcr were his achillies . Was he a good goalie sure, unfortunately he orchestrated his own leaving to the team where his wife could keep a check on him. Vcr had a better deal planned with TO but he turned it down. He retired rather than go on LTI and that cost this franchise ( Mr Aqualini ) miilions of Cap space. He was dedicated to chesterfield rugby. If the guy had cost me millions I wouldn't have him in the building. He was the ultimate narcissistic. His humour was funny but generally sarcastic. 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, WalkWithElias said:

Roberto Luongo

1st ballot hall of fame inductee 
4th all time wins in NHL history 
9th all time nhl shutouts 
1st Canucks all time wins
2010 and 2014 gold medals
1 game short of the Stanley cup
Canucks captain 08-10
Back to back seasons where he almost went 3 games without allowing a goal 

And many more stats to list

Yet he gets snubbed and gets put into the ROH….. his jersey should be up im the rafters 

A slap to the face by the Canucks organization ….

Agree

• RoughGame 1

12 minutes ago, WalkWithElias said:

Roberto Luongo

1st ballot hall of fame inductee 
4th all time wins in NHL history 
9th all time nhl shutouts 
1st Canucks all time wins
2010 and 2014 gold medals
1 game short of the Stanley cup
Canucks captain 08-10
Back to back seasons where he almost went 3 games without allowing a goal 

And many more stats to list

Yet he gets snubbed and gets put into the ROH….. his jersey should be up im the rafters 

A slap to the face by the Canucks organization ….

All true, but dies Lou see himself as a Canuck or a Panther first?  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I don't think people realize McLean and Luongo SHARE #1 or #2 spots in all statistical categories for this franchise.  If McLean is ROH, so goes Luongo.

I love Captain Kirk, but Luongo is probably a legitimate top 10 goalie all-time, while McLean doesn’t even crack the top 50. 

21 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Lol how many numbers can one franchise retire without winning a cup?

No he should not have had his number retired. Ring of honour was the right call.

The Sabres have 6 players’ number retired, with zero Cups.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, shiznak said:

I love Captain Kirk, but Luongo is probably a legitimate top 10 goalie all-time, while McLean doesn’t even crack the top 50. 

The Sabres have 6 players’ number retired, with zero Cups.

And do we wanna be like them?

54 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

A player that deserves to be in the rafters will suck it up instead of bailing.

That 'my contract suck' quote sealed his fate for me with regards to jersey retirement. 

He didn’t “bail” because things got tough, not sure how or why you came to that conclusion. 

He wanted out because he got disrespected big time by Torts by being sat for Lack for the Heritage Classic. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1