The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Roberto Luongo to be inducted into Canucks Ring of Honour

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

8 hours ago, lmm said:

maybe its cuz I'm older, but I bet I can easily name 20 goalies better that Luongo

Maybe retiring too many numbers without winning a cup is a curse for both the Sabres and Canucks

they may be out entry cousins, but they are not a franchise the Canucks should be looking to for validation

Plante

Dryden

Worsley

Esposito

Vachon

Cheevers

Parent

B Smith

Fuhr

Durnan

Thompson

Hainsworth

Roy

Hasek

M Brodeur

Tretiak

Dunc Wilson

Whenever THN does their all-time goalies, Luongo comes in mid-20s...Sawchuk ranks one, Roy two.   Part of the reason their ranks works well because their first massive one around 98, a lot of hockey experts were still around that watched guys like Shore, Hall (another one you missed), Sawchuk etc.   People would be surprised at how they feel about guys like Bobby Hull too.   Top ten all-time fastest skater,  hardest shot etc. 120mph ... with a wooden stick.   Goalies wore masks as a result of curving sticks.   Love that list for sure.  Luongo gets into the top 20-30 for sure though, and a big part of that was because of his time with us.   ROH is exactly where he should go. 

Edit: Hockey historians have gone back and calculated save percentages for goalies all the way back to the early 50's now.   It's a pretty amazing tell.   Most folks got to see Hasek, or at least were young enough to hear all about his heroics.   Drydens save percentage was just as good.   Hall, Bowers, Plante also unreal ... Parents PHI tenure awesome too.    Espo, Parent and Dryden best goalies of their era.   Roy the best playoff goalie of all-time (What Thomas did was pretty sick, but nothing like what i watched Roy do in 1993, arguably the best player in the world and that's with Mario etc).   Why he beats out Broduer and Hasek, Plante and Hall ... there is a debate for any of the top six all-time goalies to be number one.   Sawchuk's shutout ratio is just sick. And any goalie with 400 plus wins when there was ties ... well ... was amazing.   Luongo's stats adjusted his wins end up in Sawchuks range but played a lot more games.   Lundqvist's even more so.   Lundqvist vs Luongo is a pretty good debate.   THN has Lundqvist right there with him. 

To me Cujo is right there with Luongo really.    Osgood isn't far off either.  

Edit:  Their famous 98 list, since then they won't bump anyone that was still playing, to avoid recentcy bias.    With one exception, Lidstrom lol.   They sure sell in love with him.    Anyone who would take him before Potvin, Coffey, Borque, Robinson, Al Mac, Orr etc are nuts.  Orr scored more goals in 670 games than Lidstrom did in 1564, yet i've read some people who think Lidstrom is the best all-time lol.   Arguably he's even in the top ten.   Larry Murphy offense,  and a better defender in my books anyways.    Lidstrom is part of a group of guys in the third tier:

1. Orr

2. Borque, Coffey, Robinson, Al Mac, Shore, Harvey

3.   Pronger, Lidstrom, Chelios, Leetch, Blake, Park, Stevens, Murphy, Neidermayer, Salming, Howe. 

Had the Norris been a thing, Shore would probably have ten of them.    And Lidstrom's last Norris was a joke, a minus player, it was a total gimmie because the competition wasn't stiff (and hadn't been in years), and they just wanted to give him one last one for posterity or something.    Lidstrom couldn't win a trophy in his 20's, because the guys in their 30's were still better than he was.    They aged out ... Gonchar,  Phanuef ... yikes wow ... Pronger and Niedermayer that's about it.   Watching Blake destroy guys at the blue line as a rookie ... i'd have a tough time deciding between those two.   Lidstrom got his points and was "the perfect human" ... but also didn't have an easy go of it before the rules changed and against guys like Borque and Coffey early on, or Chelios, Stevens, Blake really.    Most overrated player in the history of the sport.    Yes he's awesome.   But he's not the second best D all-time that's for sure.   Or top five either.    Just the best of what remained.   The 2000's until Crosby and Ovi came on the scene, wasn't that good talent wise.   Not every era is the same - just like Perry's Hart trophy.   Sure doesn't compare to many if any others does it?   Potvins, Borque's and Coffey's Norris trophies >>> then most of Lidstrom's. 

Im guessing anyone who ranks Luongo in the top ten also thinks Lidstrom is the best.   At least they did get to see what greatness looks like.   Ranking how great requires perspective though.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 2
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

I think retiring the jersey numbers is stupid.

Montreal does it correctly imo.

They retire the Jersey, e.g. RICHARD 9

If they retired the numbers, they'd have no 2 digit numbers left!

And (personal opinion), the league should not have been allowed to retire the 'Number 99'.

Just the GRETZKY 99 jersey.

The Whiner didn't play for us; why the hell can't we use number 99?

Gretz certainly didn't do us any favours.

Come to think of it, neither has the league.

Free 99!

And make the worst player on the team wear it in shame.

(Ok, that wouldn't work; but you get my drift.) FWG!

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, SuitnTie said:

Retired in Florida and screwed the Canucks instead of going to LTIR..

Hope he gets some boos. 

Not to mention one of the most important series in Canuck history didn't go well and he had a lot to do with it. 

Sleeping on it isn't making this decision any better. 

Jersey retirement is for the most excellent & meaningful players in your organization's history, Luongo easily meets the criteria. Hes our greatest goalie ever, served as captain as a goalie(!), and he was sooo important to this franchise - which cannot be understated. Before like 2010/11/12 timeframe he was more popular/important than the Twins. 

I'm more disappointed in this than how the season is going, which is saying something. 

12 hours ago, Coconuts said:

The right call, if he'd been ours a bit more and a Panther a bit less I could see an argument for jersey retirement 

Edler should be next once he retires 

Edler? ROH or jersey retirement?

I love Edler and I would have loved to have seen him retire a Canuck. I disliked Benning's decisions to let Edler walk. 

But, I doubt his jersey gets retired. Even ROH, I doubt it's going to happen.

2 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Not to mention one of the most important series in Canuck history didn't go well and he had a lot to do with it. 

Number retirements: Smyl, Linden, the Twins are all good. The Twins for their overall contribution to the city and org. Their 2011 CUP play, not so much. Smyl and Linden were absolute warriors. Linden's play in '94 made him a legend and the best Canuck ever to wear the uni. 

Ring of Honour: is a nice touch by the org to recognize those players who stood out. Lui is OK there but I agree with your point that he kinda wilted with a 3 game lead that cost the Canucks a CUP. Not all on him but as you pointed out he has his share of responsibility. 

10 hours ago, shiznak said:

Okay, during his tenure with the Canucks, he was a top 5 goalie in that span. 

4th in GP

4th in wins

3rd in GAA

2nd in SV%

3rd in SO

That's the issue I think.  He's not really #1 for this franchise.  He had a remarkable career and one of the best all-time, but it wasn't all with the Canucks. 

33 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

I think retiring the jersey numbers is stupid.

Montreal does it correctly imo.

They retire the Jersey, e.g. RICHARD 9

If they retired the numbers, they'd have no 2 digit numbers left!

And (personal opinion), the league should not have been allowed to retire the 'Number 99'.

Just the GRETZKY 99 jersey.

The Whiner didn't play for us; why the hell can't we use number 99?

Gretz certainly didn't do us any favours.

Come to think of it, neither has the league.

Free 99!

And make the worst player on the team wear it in shame.

(Ok, that wouldn't work; but you get my drift.) FWG!

Gino! Gino! GINO!!

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Whenever THN does their all-time goalies, Luongo comes in mid-20s...Sawchuk ranks one, Roy two.   Part of the reason their ranks works well because their first massive one around 98, a lot of hockey experts were still around that watched guys like Shore, Hall (another one you missed), Sawchuk etc.   People would be surprised at how they feel about guys like Bobby Hull too.   Top ten all-time fastest skater,  hardest shot etc. 120mph ... with a wooden stick.   Goalies wore masks as a result of curving sticks.   Love that list for sure.  Luongo gets into the top 20-30 for sure though, and a big part of that was because of his time with us.   ROH is exactly where he should go. 

Edit: Hockey historians have gone back and calculated save percentages for goalies all the way back to the early 50's now.   It's a pretty amazing tell.   Most folks got to see Hasek, or at least were young enough to hear all about his heroics.   Drydens save percentage was just as good.   Hall, Bowers, Plante also unreal ... Parents PHI tenure awesome too.    Espo, Parent and Dryden best goalies of their era.   Roy the best playoff goalie of all-time (What Thomas did was pretty sick, but nothing like what i watched Roy do in 1993, arguably the best player in the world and that's with Mario etc).   Why he beats out Broduer and Hasek, Plante and Hall ... there is a debate for any of the top six all-time goalies to be number one.   Sawchuk's shutout ratio is just sick. And any goalie with 400 plus wins when there was ties ... well ... was amazing.   Luongo's stats adjusted his wins end up in Sawchuks range but played a lot more games.   Lundqvist's even more so.   Lundqvist vs Luongo is a pretty good debate.   THN has Lundqvist right there with him. 

To me Cujo is right there with Luongo really.    Osgood isn't far off either.  

Edit:  Their famous 98 list, since then they won't bump anyone that was still playing, to avoid recentcy bias.    With one exception, Lidstrom lol.   They sure sell in love with him.    Anyone who would take him before Potvin, Coffey, Borque, Robinson, Al Mac, Orr etc are nuts.  Orr scored more goals in 670 games than Lidstrom did in 1564, yet i've read some people who think Lidstrom is the best all-time lol.   Arguably he's even in the top ten.   Larry Murphy offense,  and a better defender in my books anyways.    Lidstrom is part of a group of guys in the third tier:

1. Orr

2. Borque, Coffey, Robinson, Al Mac, Shore, Harvey

3.   Pronger, Lidstrom, Chelios, Leetch, Blake, Park, Stevens, Murphy, Neidermayer, Salming, Howe. 

Had the Norris been a thing, Shore would probably have ten of them.    And Lidstrom's last Norris was a joke, a minus player, it was a total gimmie because the competition wasn't stiff (and hadn't been in years), and they just wanted to give him one last one for posterity or something.    Lidstrom couldn't win a trophy in his 20's, because the guys in their 30's were still better than he was.    They aged out ... Gonchar,  Phanuef ... yikes wow ... Pronger and Niedermayer that's about it.   Watching Blake destroy guys at the blue line as a rookie ... i'd have a tough time deciding between those two.   Lidstrom got his points and was "the perfect human" ... but also didn't have an easy go of it before the rules changed and against guys like Borque and Coffey early on, or Chelios, Stevens, Blake really.    Most overrated player in the history of the sport.    Yes he's awesome.   But he's not the second best D all-time that's for sure.   Or top five either.    Just the best of what remained.   The 2000's until Crosby and Ovi came on the scene, wasn't that good talent wise.   Not every era is the same - just like Perry's Hart trophy.   Sure doesn't compare to many if any others does it?   Potvins, Borque's and Coffey's Norris trophies >>> then most of Lidstrom's. 

Im guessing anyone who ranks Luongo in the top ten also thinks Lidstrom is the best.   At least they did get to see what greatness looks like.   Ranking how great requires perspective though.  

nice work

I agree with all of that

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, jyu said:

Without Moore elbow, Naslund's peak years could have lasted a few more seasons. Moore's elbow ruined the careers of Moore himself, Naslund, and Bertuzzi. I blame that f*ckface Tony Granato for all of this. 

Naslund's rise to stardom basically saved the franchise and that's why his number is retired.

It almost feels like a movie with how dramatic things are being a fan of the Canucks.

When Messier arrived, the media was like, he could help us over the top (since we were only few years removed from 1994 run). Then, $hit took place and the team was losing money and McCaw threatened to move the team -- Grizzlies had just relocated around that time so it didn't feel like an empty threat. Then, WCE came to the rescue and the team became relevant again. Then it felt like all our hopes were lost with Moore elbow and WCE's decline...  Then the Sedins took over. Luongo arrived. Kesler developed into an elite two-way player. Burr became a 30 goal scorer. It felt like we were on the verge... only to be blocked by a superior Blackhawks team. Then, we finally slayed the dragon. Only to lose in the game 7 to Boston. So many crosschecks to Sedins backs were uncalled. By putting the whistle away, the refs basically helped Boston to keep the Sedins cycle game to the perimeter. Boston was a great team and I give them credit for committing to their game plan but I think the cup should have been ours.

Winning the cup in 2011 would have made for a great way to end the story. Come up short in 1994, villains (Mess and Keenan) take over, Nazzy saves the team, Sedins carry over and take the team to new heights (president's trophy), then win the cup.

The new era after the Sedins feels like an entirely new story. I hope this one doesn't entail as much drama and suffering.

The end of this story should have ended with the Sedins and luongo being the Heroes that saved the day. Everything was lined up for it to end that way. 

• Like 1

He should definitely be having his jersey retired here if he had played more here.

He is 2nd all time in games played, 4th in wins, 9th in shutouts and he has the best save percentage of any goalie to ever win at least 400 games.

The only issue, for me at least, is he played 55% of his career in Florida.

ROH is a fitting tribute to his time here and all he accomplished as a Canuck.

14 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Smyl never won a major award so that barometer is out the window.  Luongo also played more seasons here than Bure, so that barometer is also out the window.  None of the players who have had their jerseys retired have a ring, so that barometer is also out the window...

Every situation is different.

Linden is essentially Mr. Canuck to a lot of people, heart and soul of the franchise.

Smyl played most of his career in the 80's when the Canucks didn't have much a history. Not to mention full 10+ year career in Vancouver and captain.

Bure was a generational talent that led the league in goals 3 times, once as a Canuck.

Sedins... self-explanatory. 

I'm not saying Luongo doesn't have a case, but I rather the criteria be more strict, at least going forward.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, jyu said:

Edler? ROH or jersey retirement?

I love Edler and I would have loved to have seen him retire a Canuck. I disliked Benning's decisions to let Edler walk. 

But, I doubt his jersey gets retired. Even ROH, I doubt it's going to happen.

ROH

He's played more games as a Canuck than any other inductee, in fact he's fourth all time with 925

He holds several Canucks D records

I dunno how you don't put him in there

• Cheers 1