The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Montreal Canadiens at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 05, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I’m saying, and never have, that Aquino meddles in hockey ops.  I do suggest he sets the direction which is to “win now”.  So his management will follow that direction and make moves in hopes of “winning now” even at the cost of futures.  And the proof is very apparent.  It’s been pointed out many times.  Nonis said in his recent interview he wouldn’t sacrifice the future to get Brad Richards in a “win now” move.  He was fired.  Then every move by management till now has been following that same direction.  If questioned, that person is replaced.  Now JR is following the same orders.  And his actions show that.  We will know for sure if Aquilini will finally smarten up and allow moves that aren’t “win now” as we approach the coming TDL.  If Bo, Kuz, are moved for futures then JR has the reins and we can look forward to a better future.  IMHAO I don’t think our owner will allow it though.  

I listened to that Gallagher interview, it was pretty cool.   Nonis too.   Very little was actually said about owner meddling, Tony said twice he had knowledge of it, once which Nonis indirectly - not directly, validated by saying he always did what he thought was best for the team.   He never actually said he was fired for it but it's safe to say you can read between the lines on that one.   The other time was after the final.   Knee jerk reactions to "get tougher"  Kassian deal (big mistake IMO, CoHo was helping our second unit actually work it, and the kid was not ready for first line duties in Buffalo ... sure he had health stuff too but maybe it wouldn't have come up so quickly, he had zero pressure on our team compared to what he had once he took Hanks role on in Buffalo) ....

MG getting fired because he wanted to rebuild?   How about for letting the goalie thing fester for a couple years?  Or going to the owners and asking to buy out Booth and Ballard - all that cap savings down the toilet.     And even that, re-signing the Sedins at an even higher cap hit at 33.   Yikes.    MG deserved to be fired.   Only traded one first ... couldn't draft himself one player in six years other than Horvat.   A deal he should have made two years before at least.    AV should have kept his job too.   Another dumb move.   MG deserves some props, but was no Quin, Burke or even Nonis.    

JB era was all over the map.   But the pain was coming.   And it did.   Just like it is in Detroit now.   Holland, the crème de la crème of GMs for two decades couldn't make a go of his third cycle.   And he did trade his firsts like hockey cards to win now.   It worked too.   Wilson had SJ as a top team for almost two decades, their re-tool actually worked ... nice to have a Couture, Pavelski etc to work with for sure.   Now their turn for some pain is coming.   

Right now this team is two top four defenseman away from being a real beast.    But we have a lot of issues.   No prospects.    High taxes (hard to not overpay UFAs in that case ... RFAs too)... and to plan properly for the future and the present a lane needs to be picked.  

Tanking hard and trading everyone we can is one path.    So is trading to fix things.    Including our futures.   Sure would like to see a team with Horvat on it going to the post season for a run of five years plus ... hope they start with one trade anyways.   And that's Brock or Garland.   Then Myers.  

Edit:  As for Allvin.   Like Sakic, he's taking his time.   And is getting some heat for it.    That's fair.   But I do understand that hockey deals in December aren't that common.   And that it takes two to tango.   Likely a Garland or Brock trade won't be cap going one way.   A player for player deal.   If Brock could get us our third two way C then that's ok.   As long as he's under contract for a couple years and also 25 or younger.    Garland is basically a cap dump.   Only playing 12 or so minutes ... glad this goal wasn't disallowed like his last one lol. 

Edited by IBatch

31 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Kind of where i am with Brock or Garland.   We need to make a trade and start somewhere.    Even if it's a player back type deal and not for futures,  we will need the cap space no matter what direction we take.   Cap space to improve the team later or now.   And if we do decide to blow it up, one of those must trades, already is done.   If the team decides to tank hard, an internal cap is a must for a year or two down the road.    It doesn't need to be a long tank (like COL we already have some good pieces) ....  This season and next.   

Don't have the right answer.    But one of those guys needs to be traded...same with Myers.  

Sell on strength. If Montreal had better finish they would have scored another 3 goals. The issue with Van is not their offence. I still want a serious rebuild. 

• Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Why aren’t they “win now” moves?  Mik is 27 and paid very well.  Kuz Missile is 26.  (Great signing). But it’s only a one and done.  If we are interested in building a better future we will trade Kuz at the TDL.  If we don’t, then we risk losing him for nothing.  Lazar and other bottom six signings are all at their ceilings.  These are all moves to help us “win now”.  

All our coming UFAs, who have value, should be traded for young assets/ picks if we are going away from the “win now” direction, including Bo and Kuz Missile.  

For sure this is one direction.   I'd be awfully miffed if we miss the playoffs and none of these guys are moved.    There is a path where we sign Kuzmo and Horvat as well, and trade other guys to upgrade our D.     That's the best i've got anyways.   Regardless it has to start somewhere.   Brock for Lucic and a pick wouldn't be so terrible - but i don't see us trading with CAL...although Brock might be happy there with Tanev and the rest of our leftovers.   Brock of course in this deal his money then is used wisely in the off season.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

Came late to this one, saw score at end of first and said not worth looking for stream. 
‘Why are regional blackouts still a thing. Makes no sense in current era. 
‘I can see every game played by American teams but not Canadian teams and the national networks don’t pick up many Canucks games for good reasons. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, mordekai said:

what did button say?

Basically just trashing the Canucks. Talking about how they have Quinn Hughes and then after that only 6-7 spot defensemen and that they're destined to lose with that defense. Just absolutely gleeful about the youth in the Montreal lineup and how they are doing this and that.

And then Canucks started scoring and then he starts bitching about how the refs are missing calls on the Canucks like too many men and how Hoglander's high stick DEFINITELY shouldn't be a penalty cuz it was a follow through on a shooting motion from the goalie, etc. Then he started trashing how Montreal's youth wasn't playing the right way. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

When you look at the goals against they were due to sloppy defending. First goal against our forwards can't move the puck out of the D zone, hits Garland in the bloody back then back to the Montreal forwards who score quickly.

Another was a rush against, Myers plays it badly and doesn't get his stick in the lane, easy tap in.

Some were straight shots Martin should have saved.

The dagger was Hughes skating back losing track and knocking into our own net.

Our offence is unreal, sure, but we should have won this game 5-2, not 7-6...

• Cheers 1

Some good takes out of this game:

- adversity from a 4-0 deficit
- PK was 100% 

- PP was 50%

- Delia got a win

- Garland finally scores

- Bo continues his tear 

- puts us back to one game below 500

Most shocking take:

- Still Man got out of this as a +3

Edited by grandmaster
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

If Montreal had better finish they would have scored another 3 goals

Same with the Nucks.

Dominated MTL for the fist 10 mins. Lots of chances/

Hogs alone could have gotten 2 goals as the game went on.

Wild ride of a game.

Nice for the team to dig out of the holoe for Martin who had his worst outing. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Its been a decade since even Aquilini isn’t that delusional. I just don’t buy the narrative. And hiring Rutherford realistically backs that up. 

Yeah. Just the fact that AQ flew to JR's house to convince him to fix this dumpster says a lot. JR isn't signing on to be his puppet, and he did not move to Vancouver just for the greqt Chinese food. He's HHOF builder who wants autonomy. At his age, he can just walk if he doesn't like the job.  Until he resigns, I will assume he has full autonomy to do things as the prez. 

PA is learning too, but he is sheltered by JR, which is good. And the other AGMs are doing the work too, which we don't see.  Facility upgrades, development support (Sedin, Higgy) are all upgraded. It will take yrs to see the results, not just one off season. 

The trick now is to see who they want to go with and build with, and who to let go and trade for assets.  Yes, they did sign JT and so they picked one.  I'm sure some of us will be upset once a fav player is traded, but we all know it's necessary to fix this mess.  This season so far has been very trying, and revealed a lot of holes that need to be addressed.  Even Bruce and his staff is being tested. I don't think it's a given he is gone next yr. If he proves he can get things done, you never know.  

• Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Can someone make a Gif of Bruce's rant on the bench? 

This is the most life we've seen from the bench since forever. 

I'm not counting Torts btw. That's his default mood. 

It was good to see. 

btw we're there any close ups of that call? 

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Stillman was a hail mary for getting rid of Dickinson’s contract, but more of a hail mary that got picked off when your down by 20. 

The management had plenty of opportunities to put their stamp on the team while buying some cap.

JT to Rangers - Potential, RHD, 3c and...

Mariano for Rathbone = Another RHD

JR said he was going to make changes but needed 6 months before he started. It is a year and a day. 

• There it is 1

5 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Rutherford, hence bringing in a 3 time cup winning GM pedigree. 

Because he was handed Crosby, Malkin and Letang.

He took on the job here. Hired a rookie GM and then surrounded him with too many voices. Management is built like they are a bank not a sports team. Too many opinions and directions. You need one direction and then you have to run with it. Failure is all JR. 

Edited by FaninMex
  • Haha 1