The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks Getting Calls on Luke Schenn

Warhippy

5 minutes ago, CanuckFan1123 said:

I think there’s a lot of market demand for Schenn compared to Schmidt though. Schmidt was basically a Vegas cap dump and then a “didn’t work out in Vancouver” dump. Schenn can fit into any teams cap with no retention and there’s no commitment to him and he’s a cup winner which teams will want dearly because he’s been there before. Someone will pay a 2nd or else a 3rd with a decent prospect. No doubt in my mind. The market is very much in our favor with Schenn. 

We will see I guess.

Again, don't trade Schenn unless the return is a 2nd.  Trading him for a 3rd is a negative given who he is, how well liked he is, how pregnant his wife is, what a leader and good guy and solid player he is.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, J-Dizzle said:

I haven’t followed his development a lot, and it’s possible he becomes a later bloomer… but even if he is what he is now that likely helps our bottom pair. And you can’t teach big. 

Some recent news. 

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/lightning/2023/02/17/lightning-cal-foote-nhl-trade-deadline-salary-cap-nick-perbix/

I know it's only a very small sample size however laying it all on the line to block shots, protecting the net and clearing space for the goalie. 

Doesn't this sound like the sort of D- man we need. 

The fact of the matter is he hasn't had the chance to play regularly. 

If it was a straight swap what could we loose.

Especially if Schenn comes back home next year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47/50 contracts. We will sign McDonough + livingstone and one more ncaa guy. Maybe the hold up is we don't want to take back a contract and everyone is insisting on it. Maybe remaining 49/50 incase they are looking at another unsigned guy. 

... Realistically none of those signing happen though and we get a 4th from schenn + he doesn't sign back in the summer :lol:

If they are going to trade Schenn it should be for a 2nd and they should tell him they won't sell him for less than that.  Also they should tell him that  after the season to come back and we will give you a 2 yr deal at 1M per.

If they sell him for crap he is going to say screw you guys for selling me for a low price when my wife was pregnant - I ain't coming back. And his teammates are going to say this management is a bunch of losers.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

I question whether a second round pick is really worth making this move. Schenn wants to be here. He costs so little and can mentor incoming defencemen. If we move him now, just as his new baby is entering this world, he won't be wanting to rejoin this group in the fall. It'll be a burned bridge rather than a mentoring bridge and steady, hard-nosed defenseman for good value, all for what's likely to be a late second round pick that may never materialize into anything.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Tanks a lot 1

2 minutes ago, Slegr said:

I question whether a second round pick is really worth making this move. Schenn wants to be here. He costs so little and can mentor incoming defencemen. If we move him now, just as his new baby is entering this world, he won't be wanting to rejoin this group in the fall. It'll be a burned bridge rather than a mentoring bridge and steady, hard-nosed defenseman for good value, all for what's likely to be a late second round pick that may never materialize into anything.

In my opinion, this should never be the thought process of a rebuilding team. I understand there is the human side of everything, however this is a perfect opportunity to load the gun with another bullet.

• Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, myre said:

In my opinion, this should never be the thought process of a rebuilding team. I understand there is the human side of everything, however this is a perfect opportunity to load the gun with another bullet.

A late 3rd isn't going to make a hill of sh!t of difference in whatever kind of rebuild/retool they're going for here, outside of currency.  A late 2nd would be a similar scenario.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Its great if he really wants to be here in Vancouver. The likelihood that he signs in the summer is probably very good and him leaving the city for a Playoff run is not the worst case scenario for him or his family.

He is a professional hockey player playing where he wants to, his contract is expiring and the team can secure future assets for him, the team makes this move and the player moves on. He may sign back in the off season, in which case he could very well be offered more security or term in a deal. Zero issue with him coming back for more than a season and zero issue with him being dealt to add an asset. 

No burned bridges.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

18 minutes ago, stawns said:

A late 3rd isn't going to make a hill of sh!t of difference in whatever kind of rebuild/retool they're going for here, outside of currency.  A late 2nd would be a similar scenario.

But it could very well make a difference, Edler, Marchand, Letang, Killorn, Quick, Parayko, Trochek..........all selected in the third round. Cole Cassels also selected in the third round too haha.

Point is, whether you like what the team is doing or not or have confidence or no confidence in management there is always a possibility a third rounder can turn into an NHLer. 

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

But it could very well make a difference, Edler, Marchand, Letang, Killorn, Quick, Parayko, Trochek..........all selected in the third round. Cole Cassels also selected in the third round too haha.

Point is, whether you like what the team is doing or not or have confidence or no confidence in management there is always a possibility a third rounder can turn into an NHLer. 

The odds are not ever in our favour.  A handful of players in the hundreds or thousands of misses doesn't change that.  Further to that a player taken in this rounds is 5 years out if they do happen to beat the odds to get to the NHL

• Like 1

According to Elliotte Freidman, there are several teams after Schenn. He thinks a 3rd round pick was the offer last week but since then the offers have increased due to multiple teams being involved. 

Pretty sure we will get a 2nd for Schenn, or a 3rd round pick plus a prospect that JR/PA like. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson

A late 2nd round pick gives you a trade chip to trade down a few spots if you like a player and he’s still on the board. I could see a few guys teams love missing day 1 and picks 33-36 could be a hot commodity, or a player still on the board at 10 if the Canucks have the Isles pick at 14. 

That late second moves you down into those areas easily or you can trade one of your 2 4th round picks. More draft capital gives you more options on the draft floor and trades. 

I’d  do my best to trade that late second with the Isles pick and draft twice in the top 10. 

Edited by KyGuy123
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, KyGuy123 said:

A late 2nd round pick gives you a trade chip to trade down a few spots if you like a player and he’s still on the board. I could see a few guys teams love missing day 1 and picks 33-36 could be a hot commodity, or a player still on the board at 10 if the Canucks have the Isles pick at 14. 

That late second moves you down into those areas easily or you can trade one of your 2 4th round picks. More draft capital gives you more options on the draft floor and trades. 

I’d  do my best to trade that late second with the Isles pick and draft twice in the top 10. 

That I can agree with when valuating draft picks

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

The odds are not ever in our favour.  A handful of players in the hundreds or thousands of misses doesn't change that.  Further to that a player taken in this rounds is 5 years out if they do happen to beat the odds to get to the NHL

Rachel Dratch Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

May very well be true, but nobody knows how that could play out. Its not a bad move to trade a depth defenseman for a pick and build up draft capital. Doesn't have to be a downer.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

According to Elliotte Freidman, there are several teams after Schenn. He thinks a 3rd round pick was the offer last week but since then the offers have increased due to multiple teams being involved. 

Pretty sure we will get a 2nd for Schenn, or a 3rd round pick plus a prospect that JR/PA like. 

I think the return will surprise some folks. Hopefully management is smart and re-signs him for a few seasons in the summer. He’s exactly the type of veteran this team needs and one of the best in ages here. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Rachel Dratch Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

May very well be true, but nobody knows how that could play out. Its not a bad move to trade a depth defenseman for a pick and build up draft capital. Doesn't have to be a downer.

Better to get a known, young player who's already defied those odds imo

• Cheers 1