The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks Getting Calls on Luke Schenn

Warhippy

42 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'll take their 2024 2nd to replace the one we gave away and a 2023 4th 

Lucic would have to waive for Vancouver, not overly convinced he does that 

He would waive for Vancouver. 

He has tried to come back home on two occasions. 

As a free agent, but we went with Lou_ie (and Edmonton threw ridiculous money plus McDavid at Looch). 

He also waived his NTC to come home in exchange for Lou_ie but our 6x6 player wouldn't waive his NTC to go to Edmonton. 

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

Truuuuuue, I forgot where I was. We aren't getting Reinbacher with a pick from Schenn. I don't even think we could get Dragicevic with a Schenn pick. I think a 1st rounder is wishful thinking. But a 2nd rounder is most likely. If we got a late 1st for Schenn I'd rather use it on Hrabel anyway. We need a top goalie prospect. Especially with the Demko rumors swirling.

I do think Ian Clark would do very well with someone like Hrabal, he could be available with our early second similar to Demko in 2014. 

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

I'll take their 2024 2nd to replace the one we gave away and a 2023 4th 

Lucic would have to waive for Vancouver, not overly convinced he does that 

No picks for schenn, especially beyond the current year, so imo.  That pick is what, 4-5 years away?

Edited by stawns

34 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

He would waive for Vancouver. 

He has tried to come back home on two occasions. 

As a free agent, but we went with Lou_ie (and Edmonton threw ridiculous money plus McDavid at Looch). 

He also waived his NTC to come home in exchange for Lou_ie but our 6x6 player wouldn't waive his NTC to go to Edmonton. 

Not so sure about the first one as both him and Eriksson signed on the same day. Can't find a clear cut source on which player signed where first. I do remember hearing speculation regarding him and Eriksson but while I've read that Lucic may have had interest in the past I haven't seen anything concrete regarding that scenario. 

This being said, there is an an article from a few years back about his potentially playing for Vancouver someday so we'll see. 

21 minutes ago, stawns said:

No picks for schenn, especially beyond the current year, so imo.  That pick is what, 4-5 years away?

Gotta build the future too, I'd absolutely take a replacement for the pick we used to dump Dickinson. Picks are also currency that can be used in a trade, we could utilize a 2nd to move up in the 1st round at this season's draft for example if there's someone in the range of the Isles pick we really want and they're still available. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I do think Ian Clark would do very well with someone like Hrabal, he could be available with our early second similar to Demko in 2014. 

Yeah, Bob McKenzie has him 32. I'd be perfectly fine using a late 1st round pick on Hrabel just to guarantee him. Especially since in this scenario we have three 1st rounders. I dunno if he'd drop to our 2nd round pick which should be in the mid-late 30s depending on where we finish.

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Gotta build the future too, I'd absolutely take a replacement for the pick we used to dump Dickinson. Picks are also currency that can be used in a trade, we could utilize a 2nd to move up in the 1st round at this season's draft for example if there's someone in the range of the Isles pick we really want and they're still available. 

Absolutely bang on.  Coconut nuts wins this round.  We need more picks; not less. 

• elephant 1

2 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Truuuuuue, I forgot where I was. We aren't getting Reinbacher with a pick from Schenn. I don't even think we could get Dragicevic with a Schenn pick. I think a 1st rounder is wishful thinking. But a 2nd rounder is most likely. If we got a late 1st for Schenn I'd rather use it on Hrabel anyway. We need a top goalie prospect. Especially with the Demko rumors swirling.

The original discussion was always around the Isles pick, not whatever we get from Schenn. Somone suggested Isles pick + Schenn + Rathbone for Schneider from the Rabgers (who isn't even available).

I said I'd rather just take a D like Reinbacher with the Isles pick, develop our own "Schneider", and move Schenn/Rathbone in other deals.

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Absolutely bang on.  Coconut nuts wins this round.  We need more picks; not less. 

I like Schenn and all and I won't be upset if he's not moved, but I view him as more a short term asset and I'd rather have more bullets in chamber at the draft 

I don't view a prospect being years off as a bad thing, every team needs prospects in the system who will inevitably take years to develop, it's not as if we won't need players pushing to make the club years from now 

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

Just now, aGENT said:

The original discussion was always around the Isles pick, not whatever we get from Schenn. Somone suggested Isles pick + Schenn + Rathbone for Schneider from the Rabgers (who isn't even available).

I said I'd rather just take a D like Reinbacher with the Isles pick, develop our own "Schneider", and move Schenn/Rathbone in other deals.

I gotcha. Pays to read the conversation instead of jumping in like a dumbass. Yeah I don't see why a team struggling with the cap would trade a guy on his ELC, who is 6'3, and a physical minded RHD. For a 33 year old UFA, a draft pick (albeit decent), and a soft as butter LD that can't even make our garbage roster. We do like to dream big here on CDC. That way when a trade does actually happen we can be mad that the return was "underwhelming."

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I like Schenn and all and I won't be upset if he's not moved, but I view him as more a short term asset and I'd rather have more bullets in chamber at the draft 

I don't view a prospect being years off as a bad thing, every team needs prospects in the system who will inevitably take years to develop, it's not as if we won't need players pushing to make the club years from now 

Not me, picks are horribly overrated.  They need to fix the now team first, then they can worry about the system, which actually isn't all that bad.

I don't see the point in wasting an asset for a lottery ticket 5 years from now

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Not me, picks are horribly overrated.  They need to fix the now team first, then they can worry about the system, which actually isn't all that bad.

Let let me see if I agree: 

image.gif.77be74da44e0e714a5e262c4e7633b8a.gif

16 minutes ago, stawns said:

Eh, you're welcome to your stance and that's chill, my take on picks is different is all 

Part of fixing this team is drafting and developing next waves, or using a 2nd as a trade asset to address our D, or flipping it as part of a trade to move up at this season's draft 

I don't see it as a waste, folks around here love to drool about prospects drafted by other teams, it'd be nice to be the team drafting some of those prospects in the 2nd round 

• Cheers 3

Schenn to Edmonton or Calgary would sting. I get trading him, he's a great piece, but apparently he wants to stay. What better a mentor for young kids coming up in the lineup than Schenn, especially on defence (once we acquire some young defencemen, that is)? 

If we have to trade him I hope it's to sweeten a trade involving Boeser, Miller or Garland so we don't have to retain.

Schenn's value is at an all time high and he would clearly be an attractive piece to bolster a teams bottom pairing for a cup run. He adds a lot of value to our team but if a good return could be had right now from a desperate team looking to win a cup I say we take it. Most obvious to me is trading him to Tampa for Cal Foote and a pick. Maybe get back a 2023 2nd 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1