The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

"Michigan" goals should be against the rules

Rate this topic

Gurn

Should the Michigan be allowed?  

77 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Imo, these plays put the goalies in risk of getting dangerous injuries.

Watching Canada first tourney game, and the attempted Michigans' really risked facial or throat injuries to the goalie.

While it is a high skilled goal, to me the risk is too great.

I don't wish to see a player blinded, by the stick blade slipping through the mask, or a crushed larynx from the shaft of the stick during the follow through.

Edited by Gurn

Personally, I just see it as the evolution of the game. I love seeing how players continue to push and advance the game and change it over the years. I imagine there was also a bit outcry at curved sticks when they were popularized in the 60s, but you don't see anyone complaining about them now.

The only way I see a Michigan being disallowed is if it's a "high stick" and the stick goes too high, in the same way knocking a puck down too high could happen.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Why should it be banned? It’s a high percentage play from behind the net, and probably the best chance of scoring from there. There’s many ways to defend it as well, and goalies are just as likely to get injured from an errant stick in the crease or a slap shot than from the Michigan move. 

If you’re skilled enough to do it, then do it. Nothing about it is illegal in Hockey terms. If the Michigan gets banned, then they’d have to ban tip in goals, batting pucks in mid air, as well as chipping pucks, basically anything that  interferes with the trajectory of the puck aerially other than blocking a shot.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

It is not more dangerous than having a frozen hard rubber disc fired at you at 100. 
Fun police at work again.
In my day we shattered wooden sticks every hard shot and we’re happy about it.  Things change. 

Let’s not kill the skill. Too many rules have killed hitting what’s left if you start taking the skills out too. 

• There it is 1

3 minutes ago, Quantum said:

The Michigan is a fun goal to watch. Players who pull it off seem to be having fun. The game needs more excitement and players showing off their personalities. It's part of the evolution of the game.

It’s a selfish and stupid attempt.  Guys even try that craperolla and for sure they will get beat down, and by their own teammmates.  It’s not winning hockey.  It’s for the “look at me go mommy” baby whiners.  Biggest loser of them all, like Zegras.  Hate that play, and love seeing those guys lose and get their faces rearranged.  

Unless, of course, it’s done by a Canuck.  Then it’s Cool!  :towel:

• Haha 2
  • There it is 1

I don't think it's that risky for goalies, just embarrassing.  Meanwhile you had Keith Ballard decapitating his own goalie with a post-goal tantrum.

Rules like high sticking is okay if it's on the follow through from a shot (the most damaging high stick to a face possible) are more dangerous for players.  Granted it's hard to control your stick in that situation but there is zero tolerance for puck over the glass, goalie handling the puck in forbidden areas, etc.

19 hours ago, Alflives said:

It’s a selfish and stupid attempt.  Guys even try that craperolla and for sure they will get beat down, and by their own teammmates.  It’s not winning hockey.  It’s for the “look at me go mommy” baby whiners.  Biggest loser of them all, like Zegras.  Hate that play, and love seeing those guys lose and get their faces rearranged.

Unless, of course, it’s done by a Canuck.  Then it’s Cool!  :towel:

I don't think it's that selfish.  If you're behind the net with the puck, a wrap around is a low percentage move, maybe the biggest stinkeroo a goalie can allow other than a Lidstrom shot from center ice.  I wonder what the stats are with Michigan goal attempts, and especially by skilled players.

• Cheers 2

16 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I don't think it's that selfish.  If you're behind the net with the puck, a wrap around is a low percentage move, maybe the biggest stinkeroo a goalie can allow other than a Lidstrom shot from center ice.  I wonder what the stats are with Michigan goal attempts, and especially by skilled players.

Super selfish move.  Keep the puck and take a hit to make a proper play.  We will soon see it disappear from the NHL.  Zegras is the worst for it too.  And how good is his club responding to his selfishness?  Joke player.  

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Super selfish move.  Keep the puck and take a hit to make a proper play.  We will soon see it disappear from the NHL.  Zegras is the worst for it too.  And how good is his club responding to his selfishness?  Joke player.  

Selfish is skating in on an empty net and roofing the puck.  It looks better but decreases the odds of a goal and you get situations like...was it Patrik Stefan who flipped it right over the net and then the other team went the other way and scored...

The Michigan goal is hot dogging it but not without a purpose.