The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

"Michigan" goals should be against the rules

Rate this topic

Gurn

Should the Michigan be allowed?  

77 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

15 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Selfish is skating in on an empty net and roofing the puck.  It looks better but decreases the odds of a goal and you get situations like...was it Patrik Stefan who flipped it right over the net and then the other team went the other way and scored...

The Michigan goal is hot dogging it but not without a purpose.

This type of play will be gone from the NHL.  It’s a selfish play.  Teammates won’t put up with it.  Zegras can keep trying it though.  He’s the classic “look at me go mommy” player.  King of selfishness.  His teammate got lit up last season and Zegras will too.  

On 12/29/2022 at 12:54 PM, NUCKER67 said:

I really dislike these skill moves, turning hockey into lacrosse. Miss the good old days of heavy heavy slappers from the point. Does Sami Salo have a son who plays hockey?  

Yes he is a RW for the Cowichan Valley Capitals

To the OP's question, no it should not be outlawed, reward skill don't punish it,

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Alflives said:

This type of play will be gone from the NHL.  It’s a selfish play.  Teammates won’t put up with it.  Zegras can keep trying it though.  He’s the classic “look at me go mommy” player.  King of selfishness.  His teammate got lit up last season and Zegras will too.  

It's a higher percentage play than a traditional wraparound if you have the skill to do it well.  Zegras passed the puck like this last year, so I'm not sure how that's selfish if it's helping get teammates open for opportunities.

• Cheers 2

On 12/29/2022 at 4:08 PM, nuckin_futz said:

Let the game police itself. If a team doesn't like their goalie being showed up or potentially injured, just send a guy out to clobber the offender. They'll get the message quickly.

It's worked pretty well for decades.

Maybe, but in those days there were only 3-4 cameras, far away, with lots of bad angles to review a play.

Nowadays, with cellphones, their literally more cameras than fans in the buildings.

It leaves the forward pretty exposed to a big defenceman skating back to his net to punish him, so hopefully we see more of that - massive hits on tiny skilled guys trying to perform a trick shot. I'm surprised we haven't seen more lacrosse-type flick shots from the front of the net in open-NHL play, a bit like in the skills competitions. I guess they're really hard to pull of with a defenceman in front of you but you'd think some fool would try it?

6 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

It leaves the forward pretty exposed to a big defenceman skating back to his net to punish him, so hopefully we see more of that - massive hits on tiny skilled guys trying to perform a trick shot. I'm surprised we haven't seen more lacrosse-type flick shots from the front of the net in open-NHL play, a bit like in the skills competitions. I guess they're really hard to pull of with a defenceman in front of you but you'd think some fool would try it?

Yeah but the league has already started penalizing legal hits simply because they are too big of a hit. Players have lost the ability to police themselves due to the new No Hitting League policy.

• Cheers 1

I think the word is out and players will have a hard time finding success with this move as a result. I also wonder about how many high stick infractions are involved? 

They were fun as a new novelty thing but they kind of hint at some cockiness and individual showboating that only a few can really pull off. I don't know that banning something is the right way to go...let the hotshots give it a go. It's fun and adds a bit of excitement to the game. As long as it stays within the rules and there is no interference with goaltenders.

I'm a bit old school on this.... Going back a decade or two I would have never allowed composite sticks to be used in the NHL, I like the tradition of wooden sticks much like MLB has with wooden bats.... The NHL was getting so watered down during the dead puck era with more teams so less talent that anything that could perceivably increase scoring was allowed so enter the $200+ composite sticks that parents now have to buy their kids so they can have the same stick as their favorite NHL player..

None the less, I'm rambling like Grandpa Simpson, my point is that without composite sticks it is a lot harder to do a Michigan type goal.

I think the attacker's desire to put the puck past the goalie instead of into the goalie would prompt them to avoid hitting the goalie with their stick (and if it does, their hard pads and metal helmet will catch the glancing blow).  Making Michigans or Dishigans illegal would be like banning dekes if the defender falls over, or jukes in football, or banning dunking on people with hard contact.  Sure it could be done to protect the defender, but it's really highly unnecessary and takes away from the entertainment factor of the game too much IMO.

No problem with these. Hit the goalie in the head with your stick and maybe that should be called a penalty though? Would be going against the follow through rule though.

I do find it hilarious how when someone attempts one it’s all over the highlights. Who gaf it didn’t go in lol

• Cheers 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/31/2022 at 9:31 AM, -DLC- said:

I think the word is out and players will have a hard time finding success with this move as a result. I also wonder about how many high stick infractions are involved? 

They were fun as a new novelty thing but they kind of hint at some cockiness and individual showboating that only a few can really pull off. I don't know that banning something is the right way to go...let the hotshots give it a go. It's fun and adds a bit of excitement to the game. As long as it stays within the rules and there is no interference with goaltenders.

Said "cockiness" and "showboating" goes on all the time in the NBA. More so in the regular season. As far as in the NHL? Why not!!!!!!

Between the legs, off the skate to the stick, on your knees, whatever; Savardian spin-orama, Forsbergian move, toe drag, MICHIGAN...........

I'm all for it. I mean....why shouldn't it be allowed. Do you want it to be a penalty? What will they call it.....travelling???!?!?!??!? 

Seriously. So long as said goal comes from the stick (or sometimes a body part, but that's another discussion!) I wouldn't see it as an issue with the NHL.

I look to the day when a goal is scored via a Michigan in front of the net. That'd be more impressive to be sure! 

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say allow it but penalize the player for high sticking if contact is made with the goalie's head area in any way. Maybe even a double minor. 

It doesn't occur enough in general and the player performing it is taking a risk of taking a penalty just so that he can gloat.

I remember when this happened in 96’   Everyone was praising this kid until someone asked Steve yzerman what he thought during an intermissions.  He literally looked dumbfounded and confused with a who expression….then he was reminded of the lacrosse goal and basically said yeah it was good.   I admire him for doing it, but any hockey player can do it.   :lol: