The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Colorado Avalanche at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 05, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

10 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

They were talking about that on the radio yesterday. What’s the best we’d get in a trade for Kuz? A late 1st round pick? How many late 1st round picks go on to score 30 goals a season? I’m guessing not many. 

I think Kuz has been great. Better than we all expected. I'd really like to sign him. However our management team is full of morons. Just another reason we shouldn't have wasted all of our cap space last summer for this crap season. Did they not realize there is more than one season they have to plan for?

Now if you sign Kuz you need to get rid of an additional $5 mil contract on top of the 4 or 5 we already need to jettison. Sign Kuz ... sure but we're shooting ourselves in the foot at the same time. No good answers here. Unfortunately I'd say we forced ourselves into dumping him for the best return. We'll probably sign him but it will likely bury us at the same time. Maybe we get him for a little cheaper due it being a rookie season ... but probably not. Have I mentioned management is full of idiots?

• Cheers 2

Honestly, the first half of last night's game looked like every other game we've lost. A lot of chasing the play, relying on the goalie, and most of the players looking out of sync. 

The second half was the way this team must play to be successful. Of course they outscored the Avs in the 2nd half, but even if they didn't, there was a decidedly different appearance to the team, and by the time the 3rd rolled around it was pretty clear we were likely to win the game if we could keep it going. (Which the boys did).

1 hour ago, 24K PureCool said:

Re-signing Miller is the deathblow to everything for this team. 

Alvin sucks. 

Arm chair quarterbacking several months later is easy to do isn’t it?

Miller was the co-MVP that drove the play and was the main lifeblood of this team last year. He was the first to reach 99 points in over a decade for this franchise. If he was going to be traded, there needed to be a minimum amount of a reasonable return. Obviously our management wasn’t offered that so they did the next best thing and not lose him for nothing. Miller was signed to a 7, not an 8 year extension. He signed to 8M per year. Not 9 or 10 like some forecasted. Miller, who also is American chose to stay here because he loves this City, teammates and coach. This was an excellent signing AT THE TIME.

He obviously is struggling this year and a very easy target for people like you but don’t blame the Canuck woes just on Miller. 

If you want to play the blame game, there is lots to go around. Alvin did not screw this up. He screwed up elsewhere but not in this regard. 

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, jyu said:

Re-sign him. But if he refuses to re-sign? Might as well get something, even if it's a late 1st.

Would re-sign him. His attitude + the fact that he's newer and seemingly unaffected by the toxicity of the locker room. 

Its more important that as much of the old guard is shipped out as possible. 

If Boeser can put up a few more goals here and go on a mini run, he can get back on pace for 25+ goals, and all of a sudden is likely tradeable. 

We've got some talent in abby that can probably come in and be a great middle-6 in 2 years. I'd like to see Hoglander and Podkolzin come back after a full season of dominating in the AHL, both getting a ton of special teams time. Karlsson and Klimovich as well - pretty crazy how well Klim is doing without powerplay time now. If they all can become very good two way players, thats a lot of good players on ELCs. Looks like Filip Johansson is going to make the jump in a similar timeframe as well, so there's our 3rd RD. 

Just now, grandmaster said:

Miller was the co-MVP that drove the play and was the main lifeblood of this team last year. He was the first to reach 99 points in over a decade for this franchise. If he was going to be traded, there needed to be a minimum amount of a reasonable return. Obviously our management wasn’t offered that so they did the next best thing and not lose him for nothing. Miller was signed to a 7, not an 8 year extension. He signed to 8M per year. Not 9 or 10 like some forecasted. Miller, who also is American chose to stay here because he loves this City, teammates and coach. This was an excellent signing AT THE TIME.

He obviously is struggling this year and a very easy target for people like you but don’t blame the Canuck woes just on Miller. 

If you want to play the blame game, there is lots to go around. Alvin did not screw this up. He screwed up elsewhere but not in this regard. 

I was against re-signing him to begin with so no hindsight here. 

He should have never been re-signed given his age and our cap situation. This is poor gm execution no matter how you slice it. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

Oh @stawns...sometimes you just really don't get it, hey?

Get what?  That a business owner wants his business to make money?  Why is that such a foreign concept for you?  Wouldn't you want your business to make money?  Isn't that the point of owning a business?

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

I was against re-signing him to begin with so no hindsight here. 

He should have never been re-signed given his age and our cap situation. This is poor gm execution no matter how you slice it. 

Miller is a bit too old, signed for a bit to much money, for way too long a contract.

It was a mistake, and many people were aware of it, prior to it being signed. We know who we are, as we took a ton of abuse from the other side.

For about 30 of us here, there is no hindsight involved, on how bad a signing it was.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Several months later?  There was a rather large contingent here screaming to trade him at this time last season.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Our next opponent:

It was such a missed opportunity when the Jets were short all those players and we lost that game.

The Jets are playing such a disciplined game under Rick Bowness, that game just got that much harder with 4 regulars returning.

9 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Boes and Miller were no win scenarios. 

If the team couldn't find a buyer. Fans would be livid if they both walked. 

Instead we'd have cap space and fans would be be going on and on about "asset management". 

So management would get crap in any case. 

Boeser was more of a no win. 

Previous regime signed him to a contract which made the QO very questionable / difficult decision. 

Hindsight is 20/20 but fans would have been ok had we traded Miller last season for a good return and used the opened up space from Miller leaving to sign Boeser to a 1 year show me deal at the QO price. 

To give a guy who didn't show anything the past few seasons a 3 year deal didn't make sense. 

• Cheers 1

After last nights game I truly wonder, without making any trades, Colorado will contend in the playoffs let alone go on another cup run. They have been reduced to a one line team and are a far cry from what they were last season. The only time I felt the Canucks were in danger was when Mackinnon and Rantanen were on the ice. They miss Kadri a lot. I wonder if Sakic will stand pat this season and wait and see or if he will try and bolster his lineup at some point soon. 

Just now, CanucksJay said:

Boeser was more of a no win. 

Previous regime signed him to a contract which made the QO very questionable / difficult decision. 

Hindsight is 20/20 but fans would have been ok had we traded Miller last season for a good return and used the opened up space from Miller leaving to sign Boeser to a 1 year show me deal at the QO price. 

To give a guy who didn't show anything the past few seasons a 3 year deal didn't make sense. 

I think most people would have been fine getting whatever they could for Boeser.  If there were no takers, many would have been fine letting him walk

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Pickly said:

After last nights game I truly wonder, without making any trades, Colorado will contend in the playoffs let alone go on another cup run. They have been reduced to a one line team and are a far cry from what they were last season. The only time I felt the Canucks were in danger was when Mackinnon and Rantanen were on the ice. They miss Kadri a lot. I wonder if Sakic will stand pat this season and wait and see or if he will try and bolster his lineup at some point soon. 

They should have ponied up for Miller, that's clear 

• Cheers 1