The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) 4 teams interested in J.T. Miller

combover

34 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

The guys that went for cheap aren't centers. Good top 6 centers don't go for cheap, they rarely move at all, and are not affordable in free agency. JT's contract is a hometown discount compared to what guys like him, Larkin & Horvat would've been offered as a UFA.

Hronek is 25 playing at a top pair level. If its available at a palatable price why not just do it rather than potentially let other teams in the mix? He's a better option than what else is available. What difference does doing it now versus doing it in the summer make if you are getting a piece you've needed for years?

People love the mystery box in this market. But I guess the box could be anything! Even a 25 y/o top 3 RHD or PPG C!

The team isn’t winning the Cup with this roster.  It is a roster fighting to last spot in the entire league.

No prospects, no cap space, a bunch of bad contracts on the books, and one of the worst teams in the league for many years.

Not sure what part of that equals “we just need a piece or two” to contend for a Cup.

We can get players for cheap AND keep our high draft picks is why we don’t do it now.  Anyone we pick up in the offseason just needs to be a bandaid until we get some prospects in the pipeline.

There is no practical way to build the team through free agency.  You need cheap ELCs contributing to offset expensive players.  

I don’t care an iota about trying to build a team that is good enough to maybe be in a wildcard spot.  That is the apparent plan.

7 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Honestly can't see them trading JT as that would mean they have no proven center depth after petey. 

The Hronek deal has set the timeline for the retool to be completed by next year and this really kills that as we're not getting a C as good as JT back without giving up big time. 

If we win the lottery however, that's a different story.

Thing is they can acquire players with picks. They literally have a recent track record of doing so, having acquired a 1st as part of the Horvat deal and having flipped it for someone they view as a top 4D in Hronek. It doesn't all have to happen in one fell swoop. I don't care for moving picks but they've already demonstrated a willingness to move a 1st, why not do it with what'd likely be middling picks from Pittsburgh? 

It's baffling that they wouldn't take a couple 1sts and cap space (if this was actually on the table, we don't know) and then flip assets later on to address their bit at center. 

Trading Miller would also help the tank, they're likely to get a quality center prospect via the draft if they hover around 4-6. 

Edited by Coconuts

6 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Honestly can't see them trading JT as that would mean they have no proven center depth after petey. 

The Hronek deal has set the timeline for the retool to be completed by next year and this really kills that as we're not getting a C as good as JT back without giving up big time. 

If we win the lottery however, that's a different story.

We just about won the lottery - well we kinda did, got 2nd -  just now on TSN when they simulated the actual ping pong ball draft lottery process.

1 minute ago, combover said:

Nucks are going to regret not making that trade to send miller to pitts. 

But then again regret is the true direction of this club. 
can’t use a hindsight excuse for ten years and counting if it not. 

Well the whole Miller thing really fits their slogan - Unfinished business. 

43 minutes ago, CanuckRookieFan said:

For those of us who don't want to wait 3 years for a rebuild and are content to just going to games for fun the managment team is doing a great job. Draft picks are great for "tankers" but luckily managment is more on the casual fan side it seems with acquiring ready to go players. Vancouver fans don't have a stomach for a rebuild we want entertainment.

oh man 

we don’t have the stomach for a rebuild but we stick with a team that’s achieved nothing for over a decade .

yup trading picks and prospects has yielded such great rewards as the  27th place canucks hits the ice. 

the level of depth and prospects and cap space is that of a team that’s been competing for a cup the last 8 years not a  turd stuck to the bowl. 

Hahahaa three years you think this group will be better.

where to start 

hronek will require a raise after next year 

ab will require a raise  after next year 

Ep will break the bank after next year (if he stays) 

maybe we have two three farm hands that come up

miller will be 33

We will still have limited to no futures 

we will be paying for the buyouts this summer 

but yeah we couldn’t handle a rebuild. 

12 minutes ago, Provost said:

The team isn’t winning the Cup with this roster.  It is a roster fighting to last spot in the entire league.

No prospects, no cap space, a bunch of bad contracts on the books, and one of the worst teams in the league for many years.

Not sure what part of that equals “we just need a piece or two” to contend for a Cup.

We can get players for cheap AND keep our high draft picks is why we don’t do it now.  Anyone we pick up in the offseason just needs to be a bandaid until we get some prospects in the pipeline.

There is no practical way to build the team through free agency.  You need cheap ELCs contributing to offset expensive players.  

I don’t care an iota about trying to build a team that is good enough to maybe be in a wildcard spot.  That is the apparent plan.

You have Elias Pettersson entering his prime/peak, this is a player teams tank to have the opportunity to draft, you don't tank the team when you have a player like this along with a young elite #1D & franchise goalie. This is the same argument that could've been made for the Avalanche giving up on MacKinnon/Rantanen after they finished last by 20 points.

They aren't contending next year, but they are building to have a window. You don't draft a bunch of players then a contending team just appears, its takes years of adding legit NHL players, instilling a standard & building around your young elite players. 

Entering 23-24 (year after next) they'll have 33M in cap space, and the following year 54M. They have space coming.

They are the 2nd or 3rd youngest team in the league. Podkolzin/Hoglander/Kravtsov/Raty/Lekkerimaki/(D) Petterson aren't nothing, they need more but its not nothing and they have another high pick. 

The choicse are build around Pettersson/Hughes in a sustainable way (Hronek is 25), or give up on them & go into the tank looking for their replacements. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

8 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Well the whole Miller thing really fits their slogan - Unfinished business. 

Oh I thought it was 

“if only”

or 

”shoulda coulda” 

with a side of 

“hindsight’s 20/20” 

I think the issues I have with Miller are mostly character ones, as I generally like his game. To dog it so bad at times under Boudreau, then suddenly flip a switch and work so much harder under Tocchet….hard to really buy into a guy who might have a bit of “coach killer” in him. This is in addition to all other things swirling about in terms of whether he’s liked by his teammates, etc. People in his corner tout his “fiery” persona, whereas I’m more likely to view him a bit of a jack ass.

Not sure I’m especially keen on 7 more years of his act. And thus it’s why I wouldn’t be too shook if he’s gone today. Put the chances of it happening at around 20% though, so I’d better start trying to reconcile my feelings with this player, eh? It does seem as though he’s been on his “best behaviour” under Tocchet. But what about the next coach? And the way we go through coaches, the one after that? 

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Revisit after the season wraps up? Could be more trade options for "young centers" closer to the summer given teams would have more time to address their rosters. 

Zucker will also be off their books. 

Edited by Coconuts

Darren Dreger has reported that Pitt made a good run at Miller and the Canucks liked the value but all the value was in picks and the Canucks wanted a center in return.

Would love to know how many picks were involved. If it was multiple 1sts then you keep this years for Reinbacher and trade the future one for the center from another team.

Who knows the truth, but trading Miller and that contract for picks would have been absolutely amazing, screw the "young now center".

Yes, it's not a center but trying moving those assets for a centerman at the draft, future trade downs (trade 2023 first for 2024 first/3rd type of thing) etc.

Also  getting sick of the Colorado compairsons. I love me some Petey but MacKinnon is on a different level for full game impact - the game isn't just points.Colorado had a pretty strong supporting crew and did some good asset management in their retool. I am... questioning canucks asset management currently. Like really in the last handful of years 2019 is the anomoly, the rest is really futility of 6-8 / 7-8 (with a pretty good pointles heater in April of 2021). That ain't good folks. We need stuff like this trade to go through.

Edited by snolan
change boys to folks