The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) 4 teams interested in J.T. Miller

combover

17 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Miller's new deal hasn't even started, and he is already producing less than his peak.

Does not bode well.

Imo- just getting relieved of his cap hit- is enough return for me.

I'd like more, but am content with just having that deal gone.

Bet they actually would have got more than just 'rid' of a player if they had traded him last season.

According to Allvin, Miller was their best player. I guess to management, Pettersson was chopped liver. 

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Miller's new deal hasn't even started, and he is already producing less than his peak.

Does not bode well.

Imo- just getting relieved of his cap hit- is enough return for me.

I'd like more, but am content with just having that deal gone.

Bet they actually would have got more than just 'rid' of a player if they had traded him last season.

Do we expect 100 PT seasons from an 8m player on a UFA contract?

Looking at the current points leaders in the league, anybody that's putting up a pt/game or better on a value contract is on a bridge deal. 

Anybody around Miller's age are getting paid (Panarin, Tavares, Kane, Toews, Kopitar, Seguin, Gaudreau, Hertl, stone, Benn, Forsberg, Kuznetsov) for similar production

Miller was on a bridge deal and was good value. I guess maybe that's where the league is heading. Dump players as they are coming out of their bridge / 2nd contracts. Basically get rid of any player over 29-30  and don't be the guy left holding the bag? 

That would essentially mean rebuild and never sign high cap hit UFAs. 

Find guys like Schenn and bottom 6 players to fill out your roster for a discount and load up on assets to draft well so that we have more value contracts. 

Trading Miller last deadline would have been the best thing to do. It would have shown that our management team is ahead of the curve. Now we are pretty much right on the curve. The contract isn't bad. It's pretty much par for the course when it comes to signing a 29 Yo UFA who is capable of putting up a pt/game

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

The contract isn't bad. It's pretty much par for the course when it comes to signing a 29 Yo UFA who is capable of putting up a pt/game

Just because 'it is on par' does not mean it is a good deal.

A bit to old, for a bit too much, for way too long; - the Miller deal.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Gurn said:

Just because 'it is on par' does not mean it is a good deal.

A bit to old, for a bit too much, for way too long; - the Miller deal.

Yeah I agree. Just becuase everyone else is doing it doesn't mean we should as well. 

So then maybe the team approach should be lock up all star RFAs until they are 29-30 and then trade them at the deadline on their last year. 

Hughes will be a bargain by the time his contract runs out. 

He'll be 27/28 and will be looking for a lifetime contract at that point. 

We would need to be ok selling him as a rental on his final year

Same with Horvat right now.

Should have been done with Miller. 

Petterson will be RFA at the end of next year and 25 yo. Maybe give him a 8 x9m contract taking him to 33 and he'll be the oldest Canuck at that point... 

Same with Boeser. He'll be 28 when contract is finished. Maybe we keep him in hopes he regains value and dump him at the deadline. 

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

If Miller could play decent defence and center,

If JT was a legit C who played a good 2 way game he likely would have gotten an even higher contract offer. For his productiion he is paid his worth, thinking a player will transform his game greatly to adjust his attitude or how good of a 2 way player he is at age 30 is very unlikely to happen. Live with JT being a decent playmaker who has helped our PP with other bad contracts the team is stuck with we are in a bad spot financially and are unable to keep the gang together with their LACK of success on the ice as a TEAM.

17 hours ago, NorthWestNuck said:

The interesting thing is I wonder how much of Horvat going to Adam Oates had on his current play? Supposedly Oates helped Horvat work on his shot amount other things, so this bump could be somewhat sustainable for a while? (Think 35-40 consistently?). I don’t know.

I mean if it changes his game, then the assessment of this current management group was wrong about Bo. 

Another miss by JR and PA. Again

12 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Yeah I agree. Just becuase everyone else is doing it doesn't mean we should as well. 

So then maybe the team approach should be lock up all star RFAs until they are 29-30 and then trade them at the deadline on their last year. 

Petterson will be RFA at the end of next year and 25 yo. Maybe give him a 8 x9m contract taking him to 33 and he'll be the oldest Canuck at that point... 

Same with Boeser. He'll be 28 when contract is finished. Maybe we keep him in hopes he regains value and dump him at the deadline. 

Petey needs to stay. Petey at 33 will still be a very very good player. What kind of player will we get with Miller at 33? 

I'm sad that we're going to lose Bo, but I've been preparing for this for a while now. Ever since Miller was signed really...

Hughes won't be traded. He's the franchise D, and we need him back there. But as great as Hughes is, he can't do everything at the backend. If Bo's going to go, we need a young RHD coming back this way. Miller probably should go as well, because it doesn't make sense to not have Bo, but then keep Miller. 

14 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

According to Allvin, Miller was their best player. I guess to management, Pettersson was chopped liver. 

Like Benning before them, this management group contradicts themselves. 

I didn't even bother listening to the Press Conference this morning by Rutherford. What's the point. 

Allvin might as well resign at this point. He's like a ghost. 

14 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

No just No to keeping Brock.  

He has to go asap.

5 years and he's only got worse year after year and you want to keep him lol.

2 hours ago, cripplereh said:

No just No to keeping Brock.  

He has to go asap.

5 years and he's only got worse year after year and you want to keep him lol.

In the right situations he'll put up 60 points. Definitely underachieving for his salary but I don't think it's worth giving up assets just to get rid of him. We can still use his 60 points and then trade him in his final year and retain salary and actually get an asset back. Right now, we would have to give up an asset to get rid of him. 

We are tanking anyway and still need warm bodies to actually play. Might as well keep him. 

Boeser is not worth his contract but he is still an NHL player. 

Same with OEL. NHL d man. OEL, as crappy as he has been playing, is still better than Dermott, Burroughs, Myers Stillman. He was benched to send a message that he needs to play harder... 

They are definitely overpaid but it makes no sense to pay to get rid of them to only replace them for similar production. 

The real difference makers in this league will only come when you either trade a quality player (like Horvat) or you draft one. 

• Cheers 1

21 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Well I mean last year its impossible to argue Pettersson was our best player. He was pointless in 26 of the first 47 games and had 4 multi point games. Would have been a different story if Pettersson showed up to play on time. Thats great he had a magical 35 game stretch to finish the season, but the first half of his season was attrocious

• There it is 1

7 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Well I mean last year its impossible to argue Pettersson was our best player. He was pointless in 26 of the first 47 games and had 4 multi point games. Would have been a different story if Pettersson showed up to play on time. Thats great he had a magical 35 game stretch to finish the season, but the first half of his season was attrocious

Yup.  Right now Petey is our best player and Hughes is a very close second.  Demko, when healthy, has proven our most important player.  Miller is our next best and then Bo.  That’s the core JR seems to indicate he will retool around. Guys like OEL, Myers, Garland, Boeser are overpaid supporting players.  When the retool is completed (which retools never seem to be) those four will not be here.  

• Vintage 2

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  Right now Petey is our best player and Hughes is a very close second.  Demko, when healthy, has proven our most important player.  Miller is our next best and then Bo.  That’s the core JR seems to indicate he will retool around. Guys like OEL, Myers, Garland, Boeser are overpaid supporting players.  When the retool is completed (which retools never seem to be) those four will not be here.  

His press conference was amazing in that he essentially said to OEL, Myers, Garland and Brock that you aren’t wanted, we don’t believe in you. He didn’t name the names but who else has contracts he is trying to get rid of.  This was not a subtle shot at them, OEL in particular. 
I am with him, those 4’s play is one of the biggest issues with the team this year.  Myers is the only one that looks like he cares which seems to increase the chaos. 

1 minute ago, DrJockitch said:

His press conference was amazing in that he essentially said to OEL, Myers, Garland and Brock that you aren’t wanted, we don’t believe in you. He didn’t name the names but who else has contracts he is trying to get rid of.  This was not a subtle shot at them, OEL in particular. 
I am with him, those 4’s play is one of the biggest issues with the team this year.  Myers is the only one that looks like he cares which seems to increase the chaos. 

Garland's work along the boards in tight quarters is pretty damn good, unless I'm missing something. His problem is not finishing, and his size. He had a good year last season, don't you think? Boeser to me is very puzzling, he really doesn't look involved, and after watching him in his first games as he came out of College most of us would have thought he was a stud, and a career Canuck. But, yes, I think those four will be either traded, or bought out.

9 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Garland's work along the boards in tight quarters is pretty damn good, unless I'm missing something. His problem is not finishing, and his size. He had a good year last season, don't you think? Boeser to me is very puzzling, he really doesn't look involved, and after watching him in his first games as he came out of College most of us would have thought he was a stud, and a career Canuck. But, yes, I think those four will be either traded, or bought out.

Brock I think is a combination of numerous wrist surgeries taking away his best weapon and his back a knee issues combining with the dramatic increase in overall speed in the game, he just can’t keep up.  Heart not in it either I think after everything last few years. 

Garland was a good 5v5 player last year. Not sure worth 5M but good. This group doesn’t seem to like or trust him and I think the feeling is mutual. The fire has been gone from his game this year. More of an apathetic elf than angry. 

37 minutes ago, Alflives said:

This is correct. 

Listen to the Melmacian people. 

• Haha 1
  • There it is 1

3 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

In the right situations he'll put up 60 points. Definitely underachieving for his salary but I don't think it's worth giving up assets just to get rid of him. We can still use his 60 points and then trade him in his final year and retain salary and actually get an asset back. Right now, we would have to give up an asset to get rid of him. 

We are tanking anyway and still need warm bodies to actually play. Might as well keep him. 

Boeser is not worth his contract but he is still an NHL player. 

Same with OEL. NHL d man. OEL, as crappy as he has been playing, is still better than Dermott, Burroughs, Myers Stillman. He was benched to send a message that he needs to play harder... 

They are definitely overpaid but it makes no sense to pay to get rid of them to only replace them for similar production. 

The real difference makers in this league will only come when you either trade a quality player (like Horvat) or you draft one. 

You think he will have any trade value in 7 years? 

They should be trading him for anything they can get right now just to clear cap space