The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Tanner Pearson to miss the remainder of 2022-23 season

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, awalk said:

He's got one big one (Bo) and then a bunch of maybe they have values. They've got something to work with and if they fail, it's on them.

Do you have any faith at all in this? We also had Miller and Boeser to trade and look at how well that turned out.

Pearson ... another useless Benning player that does nothing but waste cap space.

54 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Could this be some cap space wiggle room we need to work some deadline magic? 

I believe Pearson is just on injured reserve not LTIR. (correct me if I'm wrong) 

If we move him to LTIR, could we possibly retain on someone like Miller or Boeser to make it more attractive and take back unwanted salary like a cap dump? 

Rumour is that Boeser is currently worth  a 2nd. Could this turn into a 2nd and a prospect or even a first? 

Even if Pearson on LTIR gives management some room to work, we should not even consider retaining on Miller or Boeser in any trade. If we want to weaponize it on a rental trade (i.e. Bo) or a cap dump coming in that expires at the end of this season than maybe but we cannot carry retained salary for the length of Boeser's contract and certainly not Miller's. 

We are about to work ourselves out of dead cap space this season, lets not waste it moving forward. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Do you have any faith at all in this? We also had Miller and Boeser to trade and look at how well that turned out.

Pearson ... another useless Benning player that does nothing but waste cap space.

Not sure. Too early for me still. I had hope, not faith, but that hope is pretty quickly going away. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Highstickin said:

Even if Pearson on LTIR gives management some room to work, we should not even consider retaining on Miller or Boeser in any trade. If we want to weaponize it on a rental trade (i.e. Bo) or a cap dump coming in that expires at the end of this season than maybe but we cannot carry retained salary for the length of Boeser's contract and certainly not Miller's. 

We are about to work ourselves out of dead cap space this season, lets not waste it moving forward. 

We can retain on the remaining term of Miller's expiring $5.25m deal FWIW.

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Highstickin said:

Agreed. I am a hard no on retaining Miller long term. I meant for this expiring contract.if a team didn't have cap space to add him this year but had space opening up next year, it would be a prime opportunity to do this. 

As for Boeser I might consider retaining if the assets coming back are good enough because there's only 2 years left on it after this year

• Cheers 2

If it wasn't for this cap hit, I would have loved to see Pearson play all season long... we do miss his physicality and drive to the net when he was 100% in top shape...

Now, it's Lockwood's chance to shine.. see if he can stick in the NHL.... I don't even know what to be excited for anymore... ANOTHER lost season... and sucks that we don't even get to see Podz develop with the big club because... it's a lost season already....

Let's just hope Rutherford can make some big deals soon to clear the cap space to bring back Bo and Kuz! They are the future for our team, not Miller, OEL and Myers...

42 minutes ago, rekker said:

Never understood the Pearson hate on here. Great hockey player that plays the right way. He's just on a crap, terribly constructed team. That's not on him. 

Good teams have players on ELC's / cheap deals that play Pearson's role.

He's about as vanilla as a player gets, and his contract offers absolutely zero surplus value, if not negative value.

Has more to do with the contract and the genius who gave it to him rather than the player himself.

6 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

He's about as vanilla as a player gets, and his contract offers absolutely zero surplus value, if not negative value.

Has more to do with the contract and the genius who gave it to him rather than the player himself.

Yep, so anyone with any critical thinking skills would be able to seperate the two and acknowledge Pearson was a valuable role player for us when he was healthy. 

Just now, Pears said:

Yep, so anyone with any critical thinking skills would be able to seperate the two and acknowledge Pearson was a valuable role player for us when he was healthy. 

At his cap hit, not really.

See the first line of the post you quoted.

Ideally you want a player like him on the cheap, so that you can spend more on impact players / play-drivers.

Benning had no idea how to properly allocate cap dollars, which is why our cap situation is what it is now.

You can't have Pearson / Myers / Sutter type contracts on your books if you want to be any good.

11 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

7 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

At his cap hit, not really.

See the first line of the post you quoted.

Ideally you want a player like him on the cheap, so that you can spend more on impact players / play-drivers.

Benning had no idea how to properly allocate cap dollars, which is why our cap situation is what it is now.

You can't have Pearson / Myers / Sutter type contracts on your books if you want to be any good.

Funny how you talk about Sutter like our penalty kill hasn’t been historically bad since he’s been out with long covid. 

• Cheers 4