The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Tampa Bay Lightning | Jan. 12, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

He’s shooting more now. I could count at least 3-4 times Hughes decided to shoot rather than pass. 

He’s got a terrific wrist shot.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

The 15-16 and 16-17 era teams weren't competitive but at least they showed more heart than I've seen this season, we were at a point where our being bad wasn't really surprising 

What I've watched the past two seasons has been more of a tragic comedy 

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/VAN/2016.html

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/VAN/2017.html

I remember watching games with my dad about 5-7 years ago when we had Chaput and Megna. We used to kind of make fun of them the way lots of us do now on cdc. Shipoopi, Shipoopi, Shipoopi was a thing when Chaput scored. Haha. Except back then we didn't expect them to win, we knew they were rebuilding and it actually felt good when they won and we cheered when they made nice plays. And we looked forward to a couple nice picks in the draft. It was natural and enjoyable even during the dark periods. I've been a fan since 1980 and I've went through a lot of tough years but nothing as backwards as this.

Deep down I want and find myself cheering for this team at times when they make good plays, because they can make some real nice plays and then I have to remind myself as to just how badly positioned we are and how winning the odd game just perpetuates mediocrity and continued poor short-sighted decisions. It's a horrible position to be in as a fan because nothing is good until they actually pick a direction and we know what we're cheering for. It's like watching a loved one struggle with internal decisions and knowing they need to come to a decision on their own. Alright venting done for now .... 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, eeeeergh said:

I hate to bring this up, it makes me feel terrible for doing so 

but Pearson and dermott situations make it increasingly likely management will cave and give Bo a massive overpayment deal 

and we will come back next year with basically the same roster if so 

Why do the Pearson and Dermott situations make that more likely? It's probably obvious but ... the Friday afternoon meds are kicking in. B)

If anyone needs more examples of why this team needs a leadership change, look no further than the last minute of the 3rd.

Garland gets nailed right in the chops in a situation where hockey players know what they are doing. Garlands hands are tied and Sergachev decks him right in front of our captain. 

What does Horvat do when he sees his linemate and guy who has 2 goals in 2 games get cheap shotted.

Absolutely friggin nothing. Nothing. Nothing.

Same thing he did when Hoglander got nailed and Horvat was right beside him, except that time Horvat just skated away.

It makes me sick to watch this.

Yes he scores goals, yes he is probably a nice guy, but he is gutless and leaves his teammates exposed and left laying on the ice. I'm over it.

• There it is 1

51 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

What I want is the cup. The status quo we are not close to that. 

Well, starting a new rebuild isn't going to accomplish that any time in the next 10 years, nor is there much evidence that it ever leads to a Cup

3 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

If anyone needs more examples of why this team needs a leadership change, look no further than the last minute of the 3rd.

Garland gets nailed right in the chops in a situation where hockey players know what they are doing. Garlands hands are tied and Sergachev decks him right in front of our captain. 

What does Horvat do when he sees his linemate and guy who has 2 goals in 2 games get cheap shotted.

Same thing he did when Hoglander got nailed and Horvat was right beside him, except that time Horvat just skated away.

Yes he scores goals, yes he is probably a nice guy, but he is gutless and leaves his teammates exposed and left laying on the ice. I'm over it.

So someone shows "leadership" and retaliates against Sergachev, gets a penalty and takes any chance of completing the comeback away 

That's leadership?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

12 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Why do the Pearson and Dermott situations make that more likely? It's probably obvious but ... the Friday afternoon meds are kicking in. B)

Dermott with another concussion looks like a potential permanent LTIR

Pearson situation looking similarly grim

So cap space is open for them to do something silly like giving Bo 8.5m

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Lol

4 minutes ago, Muttley said:

Something new and yet something old. :rolleyes:

lot skinner than I remember him to be. maybe it's the nick name. 

he thinks Bo will be a Bruin.  that will be quite a trade.  Imagine getting Marchand back? 

Edited by Jaimito
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Devron said:

I hate that. I’m not optimistic, feels like Ferland over again 

yup.  poolman is out for a different issue.

team is cursed.  forget about Bedard.  Never will get him.

Edited by Jaimito

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

It's something at least. I wonder if NHL Player Safety ever has ever had a discussion with the officiating staff to try to address some of these actions during the game.

The DOPS is just as corrupt as the refs.  The NHL won't fix the problem voluntarily; it's going to take a lawsuit either from an injured player for criminal negligence, or from gambling partners.  I've given up any other hope of the league making integrity and honesty a priority.

NHLPA needs to take over player safety if the league doesn't start conducting be itself appropriately.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 1

Has BB or Allvin or JR said anything about this? 

Burke would have lost it if he was still with us. 

Entire organization from management to players lack backbone. Need to change the culture or Petey is gone guaranteed. 

Those years or Roussel Beagle Sutter were absolutely pointless. Team is still gutless. 

Some oldies but goodies

"I want to point out to the officials that Todd Bertuzzi does not play for Detroit, it just looks like that because he's wearing two or three Red Wings sweaters all the time,"

"Sedin is not Swedish for 'punch me, or headlock me in a scrum. '"

11 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

so they only 'fined' him $5,000 for that gloved punch?

what a joke !!!

why don't they get rid of ALL penalties and replace them with fines? 

It wasn’t a gloved punch. It was a knuckle sandwich, which makes it worse.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Has BB or Allvin or JR said anything about this? 

Burke would have lost it if he was still with us. 

Entire organization from management to players lack backbone. Need to change the culture or Petey is gone guaranteed. 

Those years or Roussel Beagle Sutter were absolutely pointless. Team is still gutless. 

Some oldies but goodies

"I want to point out to the officials that Todd Bertuzzi does not play for Detroit, it just looks like that because he's wearing two or three Red Wings sweaters all the time,"

"Sedin is not Swedish for 'punch me, or headlock me in a scrum. '"

Management needs to step up and demand that the league starts holding problem refs accountable or we will be calling up someone from the AHL to ensure that these criminals are never able to rig another game.