The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Provorov declines pre-game pride night skate

Rate this topic

Slegr

56 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

An additional thanks- many people say stuff, but won't back it up.

kudos to you!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

I don’t know why so many users here keep saying this, but being gay is NOT a choice. It never has been and never will be. Think whatever you want to about Provorov, that he’s a bigot or that he’s indifferent or that he’s welcome to his views, but stop perpetuating this myth that never seems to die. If it was a choice I guarantee there’s millions of people in the world right now who would choose to be straight to avoid all the discrimination they face their entire life just for loving who they love.

I have no problem with what Provorov did. I also have no issue with anyones sexual preferences. No one should live a life of shame becuase of their sexual preferences.

5 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I don’t think anyones arguing that he should be forced to wear it, that’s obviously his choice. There’s also nothing in the CBA that allows them to punish him for doing it.

However the same freedom that he’s been given is not being given to people in Russia. So I hope he appreciates that. And he should also appreciate that people have that same freedom to criticize him for that decision. 

Just like the Catholic Church here should be open to criticism for protecting pedophiles, the Russian Orthodox Church and people that support it should be open to criticism for their treatment of gay people.

Agree completely!!!

1 hour ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

I don’t know why so many users here keep saying this, but being gay is NOT a choice. It never has been and never will be. Think whatever you want to about Provorov, that he’s a bigot or that he’s indifferent or that he’s welcome to his views, but stop perpetuating this myth that never seems to die. If it was a choice I guarantee there’s millions of people in the world right now who would choose to be straight to avoid all the discrimination they face their entire life just for loving who they love.

Sexuality is very much a choice.

There is no such thing as a straight or gay gene. Sexuality is fluid. There are many instances of people being straight and then suddenly developing attraction to the same sex and vice versa.

To say you are born gay or straight is incorrect.

Now, if we’re talking about choosing to be straight to avoid being attacked or to fit in then that’s different and I agree its wrong to not be able to express your true sexuality and often times those aren’t really even choices.

Edited by Odd.
  • RoughGame 2

4 minutes ago, Odd. said:

There is no such thing as a straight or gay gene. Sexuality is fluid. There are many instances of people being straight and then suddenly developing attraction to the same sex and vice versa.

Now, if we’re talking about choosing to be straight to avoid being attacked or to fit in then that’s different and I agree its reprehensibly wrong to not be able to express your true sexuality and often times those aren’t really even choices.

Definitely not lol

1 hour ago, Shayster007 said:

Man is this thread ever a funny read. The most "offended" people are the ones jumping in trying to defend him.

I don't know, it feels like the most "offended" are the ones who want him sent back to Russia over this.

To me, that's the more extreme take.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

The post you quoted does not say what you claim it says.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/amp/science/there-is-no-gay-gene-there-is-no-straight-gene-sexuality-is-just-complex-study-confirms

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20160627-i-am-gay-but-i-wasnt-born-this-way

https://www.mentalhelp.net/blogs/being-gay-a-life-style-choice/

https://www.gotquestions.org/born-gay.html

Again, we can say having to “choose” to be straight because you’re afraid to be vilified is a valid argument and it shouldn’t have to happen. 

But I disagree with the idea that you are born gay or straight. It’s more sophisticated than just having the genes that make you predisposed to being homosexual or straight. 

Edited by Odd.

19 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Show me evidence sexuality is genetic or pre determined and I’ll happily change my opinion.

The 1991 paper by Pillard and Michael Bailey that detected chromosome 8, 13, and 14 to be of interest and first detected Xq28?

The 1993 paper by Dean Hamer that proved the x chromosome marker Xq28 was more present in people who are attracted to the same sex, leading to an increase is homosexual siblings even even adopted at birth and raised seperate?

Brendan Zietsch of the University of Queensland study "Insight into the evolution of homosexuality"?

There's some scientific evidence for you, since the literal countless people subjective opinion who say they were "born gay" don't seem to matter to you.

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, Odd. said:

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/amp/science/there-is-no-gay-gene-there-is-no-straight-gene-sexuality-is-just-complex-study-confirms

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20160627-i-am-gay-but-i-wasnt-born-this-way

https://www.mentalhelp.net/blogs/being-gay-a-life-style-choice/

https://www.gotquestions.org/born-gay.html

Again, we can say having to “choose” to be straight because you’re afraid to be vilified is a valid argument and it shouldn’t have to happen. 

But I disagree with the idea that you are born gay or straight. It’s more sophisticated than just having the genes that make you predisposed to being homosexual or straight. 

Did you seriously just try to quote a website that litterally says biblical answer to questions as your evidence? That's legitimately hilarious.

Brandon Ambrosino, the writer of your BBC article says he doesn't feel that he was born gay, but in the link you posted acknowledged in his experience the majority of homosexual people he knows would described themselves as "born gay"

Also your first website actually points towards me being right, not you. Shame you didn't actually read it.

Should also read number 3, since it's conclusion also says people are born that way. Did you really just read the headline and not even bother to scroll down just a couple swipes to read it? Come on now..

So 1 our 4 you posted actually support your argument, but who knows maybe your right. That article did come straight from God himself. :rolleyes:

Edited by Shayster007
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

27 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Now, if we’re talking about choosing to be straight to avoid being attacked or to fit in then that’s different and I agree its wrong to not be able to express your true sexuality and often times those aren’t really even choices.

You are partially correct on that, there's not ONE, there's actually multiple genetic differences.

People are absolutely born Gay or Straight. You're showing that you don't have much experience in this as if you pay attention to kids as young as 2 or 3, they will already be starting to exhibit preference, even just in little ways, it's always there.

General rule I go by, love and be nice to EVERYONE! If they don't love and be nice back to you, then cut their brake line and go have a beer! ;)

Seriously though, you are extremely out of touch with modern science on this.

There are many things wrong with the world right now, worrying about who's sleeping with whom should be down, somewhere below colonizing Jupiter!

• Cheers 2