The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Provorov declines pre-game pride night skate

Rate this topic

Slegr

2 minutes ago, KristoffWixenschon said:

I wonder if team management preferred that he didn't attend, rather than showing up and being a very visual symbol of non-support for LGBT awareness.  

Probably, if I had to guess. 

I think it reflects poorly on the team and League, imo. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I think the racism you can’t see is/can be just as injurious to your life, liberty and the security of your person. 

That’s how veiled racism worked for centuries against visible minorities through religious and legislation. 

Intolerance whether seen or unseen is still a destructive force. 

I'd just prefer people be upfront about it so I know what and whom I'm dealing with. For example, if I go for a job interview and have zero chance based purely on race and my resume goes through the shredder 5 seconds after I leave what I think was a good interview, I'd like to know that. I'd like to know my interview was just filling some quota.

As you said both versions are injurious but with one option I know I have been injured.

• Huggy Bear 1

Just now, Sharpshooter said:

I don’t think he should be forced to do anything either. 

And I agree. Garbage perspective by him and imo his religion. 

He has the right to refuse to practice of course. He also bears the the persona responsibility of dealing with the backlash of making a willful choice for tacitly supporting non-inclusivity. 

If he’s ok with that, then great.

May he reap what he and his religiosity sows. 

Agreed.  There will always be social repercussions for having beliefs that go against the cultural norm.  
He will undoubtedly lose out on future sponsors, not be selected for leadership opportunities within the team, not be selected for future coaching opportunities, etc.  

There are consequences to having garbage opinions, but those consequences should always be decided on the social marketplace.  Nobody should ever be forced into supporting something they do not agree with.  

• Cheers 3
  • There it is 1

Sounds like he opted out in a reasonable and respectful manner. Don’t agree with his perspective but he handled himself with class and did his best not to make something out of it, that is on the internet and social media. 
‘I don’t have a problem with protests for the national anthem (and those have nothing to do with the military) and don’t have an issue here.   
‘He still came out and did his job, he opted out of nothing of significance to what he is payed to do. 

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

3 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

I'd just prefer people be upfront about it so I know what and whom I'm dealing with. For example, if I go for a job interview and have zero chance based purely on race and my resume goes through the shredder 5 seconds after I leave what I think was a good interview, I'd like to know that. I'd like to know my interview was just filling some quota.

As you said both versions are injurious but with one option I know I have been injured.

One version injures you immediately. The other after the fact. Both are injurious, as you know. 

However, the problem isn’t that injuries occur, it’s that we tolerate those that willfully, through their acts or inaction who, injure others…particularly due to the result of being brainwashed by fairy tales that were entrenched into them from a young age. 

8 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Probably, if I had to guess. 

I think it reflects poorly on the team and League, imo. 

I think everyone handled this perfectly.  

The player quietly declined but was allowed to live in accordance with his values.  
The team did not have to showcase a player during practice that was visually opposed in support of LGBT issues. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

He’s being criticized not threatened to be killled… talk about extreme.

People are expressing their freedoms by criticizing him. That’s freedom here too last time I checked. Why do you seem to have a problem with that freedom and not the freedom of religion?

And again it’s not a religious thing as I said. Society in Russia has shaped religion to be anti homosexual. Hate is created by people not by god or religious texts.

We don’t know if it’s because he’s truly homophobic or it’s simply because of his religious beliefs (again you can respect and support a group, but not wear their symbol as it’s not who they identify with as).

I do agree the problem is that these countries and societies want people to respect their religion but refuse to do the same to others. Majority of these places have backwards thinking and are generally not inclusive to any group/individuals who aren’t part of their religion, and some take their beliefs to radical levels.

Here in western society, freedom of expression and freedom of speech is what separates us from the rest of the world. We shouldn’t be forcing people to do western things and get upset that they don’t wish to express those values and views, just like westerners wouldn’t want religious values being shoved down their throats in these such countries. The problem is, freedom of speech and expression is virtually non existent, and so most times you’d comply with societal standards to avoid being punished, which is obviously not okay.

If Provorov does happen to be homophobic, it has no place in the game and there should be consequences. But to say he’s homophobic because he chose not to wear the jersey does not equal him being homophobic. I’d assume if you chose not to wear a religious garment in Qatar, it doesn’t mean you hate the person/religion, it’s just because you aren’t religious therefore you wouldn’t feel the need to wear it.

5 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Sounds like he opted out in a reasonable and respectful manner. Don’t agree with his perspective but he handled himself with class and did his best not to make something out of it, that is on the internet and social media. 
‘I don’t have a problem with protests for the national anthem (and those have nothing to do with the military) and don’t have an issue here.   
‘He still came out and did his job, he opted out of nothing of significance to what he is payed to do. 

You really believe that?

• Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

6 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

Really see who those Alberta is calling ads are marketing to. 

That's hateful and potentially discriminatory based on people's place of origin, prohibited grounds under the human rights code.... just saying.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GB5 said:

That's hateful and potentially discriminatory based on people's place of origin, prohibited grounds under the human rights code.... just saying.

It’s also based on past precedence. ;)

It’s also funny AF! 

Edited by Sharpshooter
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

You really believe that?

He is a hockey player and professional athlete. He opted out of a pre-game skate. 
‘Cant force our opinions on someone.
Don’t agree with his opinion and don’t think churches should preach hate but that has nothing to do with whether a guy who plays hockey took a pregame skate. 

I think if anything Torts having an issue with players kneeling for the flag but have no issue with players not wearing a the jersey shows what type of person he is. Not Provorov or any player that expresses their freedom.