The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Poll] With Horvat gone, who should be named the Canucks next captain?

Rate this topic

Roberts

POLL  

353 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I remember creating a thread on this very subject about two years before bo was named captain. My answer then is still what it is today. Elias Pettersson. Your best player sets the tone and expectations for your entire team. Bo was never going to be that. He was just the first quality player in our rebuild and became the beacon of hope after the team crumbled following 2011 and thx years that followed. 

If we got Bedard then maybe still Petey but hard not to wait for Bedard lol 

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

I remember creating a thread on this very subject about two years before bo was named captain. My answer then is still what it is today. Elias Pettersson. Your best player sets the tone and expectations for your entire team. Bo was never going to be that. He was just the first quality player in our rebuild and became the beacon of hope after the team crumbled following 2011 and thx years that followed. 

If we got Bedard then maybe still Petey but hard not to wait for Bedard lol 

Debatable who the best payer is, Hughes or Petey, either way the most talented player shouldn't be the default captain.

You need someone who can be tough and play through injury and adversity and handle the media's tough questions and get the team to pay attention to them. I do not see an obvious choice right now but Petey and Hughes both look promising but do not seem ready just yet.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

19 hours ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

Fair.

I'd love a leader with the mold of Sakic or Yzerman but unfortunately we don't easily have that at our disposal. 

yes, you  kind  of have to draft one, or traded for a disgruntled one

Petey is the closest thing we have

which is why the only players I really care about on this team are Petey and Schenn, and maybe Hughes

I don't think its Petey's time yet though

Until we have leadership from the top, its pointless asking anyone to Captain this mess

14 minutes ago, lmm said:

yes, you  kind  of have to draft one, or traded for a disgruntled one

Petey is the closest thing we have

which is why the only players I really care about on this team are Petey and Schenn, and maybe Hughes

I don't think its Petey's time yet though

Until we have leadership from the top, its pointless asking anyone to Captain this mess

hmm out of curiosity out of the captains in the league today who would you say is the ideal mould? 

One that comes to mind for me is Landeskog who seems like a tough captain that speaks up and defends his teammates for example.

Edited by PetterssonOrPeterson
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

hmm out of curiosity out of the captains in the league today who would you say is the ideal mould? 

One that comes to mind for me is Landeskog who seems like a tough captain that speaks up and defends his teammates for example.

that is a really good question

that I don't have time to answer right now

but I will get back to you on that

• Cheers 1

I went with no cap. To me no one really stands out as cap material. Maybe not even Bo. I like Bo, don't get me wrong. But I thought he was given the captaincy too early. He was touted as the next one after Henrik. Certainly he's done an admirable job at it. And there's no denying his demeanour is well suited for such. Especially with regards to interviews.

In his tenure as a Canuck, you could say he's a heart 'n' soul guy. Just what you want for a cap. However, losing as much as we have with him as cap.....well...................it certainly can affect ones psyche. Though he's remained a consummate professional throughout, well.........maybe he's lost interest somewhat. A change is probably a good thing for him and the club.

• Huggy Bear 1

On 1/20/2023 at 4:43 PM, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

Do all captains need to be vocal? 

Hank and Danny weren't super vocal guys either but they lead by example. 

Markus Naslund wasn't a vocal guy but he was our captain. 

heck, Bo isn't even really that vocal either.

Don't think it needs to be a necessity. 

On 1/20/2023 at 4:51 PM, Odd. said:

Notice a pattern though? We’ve had too many “quiet” leader types. 

Please, please, under no circumstance EP40.    We've had enough of Stoic swedes to last a lifetime.    EP will do just fine without the burden anyways - thank you very much!

• Huggy Bear 1

Run without one for at least a season and see who starts to emerge that can actually handle all the different facets. Personally I don't think it should be Petey because he already has enough responsibility as the offensive engine without making him have to answer to media and refs every day.

A dark horse candidate in a couple years could be Podkolzin. Igor Larionov believed in him at least. 

Either no captain or Schenn. Absolutely cannot burden EP40 with the C this early in his career. He hasn't earned it yet as a leader. 

I believe he will, but no way should he wear it yet. He needs more time to develop and grow without carrying the weight of the team.

• elephant 1

1 hour ago, snucks said:

When JT came to Vancouver he was playing better than most of the team. IF he doesn't get the C then the best thing would be to go without a captain.

Only C I'd give miller is C for Cab ride to the airport. Guy has zero leadership qualities.

Okay here is what s going to happen with Horvat.

Nothing until the end of the season

Because it has been stated over and over again they don't want picks back, they want 3 players, that means 5.5 million dollars worth of NHL roster players at the least, 2 or 3 lost causes.

They are being too stubborn to change at this time. 

They won't want to confirm that next year would be a bad season so they will try to get as many points as possible to sucker fans into another "see we are good" for the 7 th time.

Unless a RHD comes back like Columbus prospect like Jiriek or Boston's Carlo or Islanders Dobson, a few others out there.

Another aspect is what have these guys been doing before? They have had super stars carrying the team proven HoFers. They never really had anything to trade with so never dived into research much.

I hope there is a player revolt or at least more than 4 or 5 that quietly ask for a trade. The young guys have a hellva hammer if they ask or demand. Crosby had a lot of influence on the team when he was Pettersson's age.

Smart hockey sense says they should make trades earlier, really push because teams just outside of having cap space right now will offer more to wait an extra couple of days while they make space.

Waiting for cap space is as silly as not letting Bruce go and replacing him with Yeo until Tocceht was hired.

They have cap space, it is already used for Horvat. The only reason they would need cap space is if they plan on spending it to win NOW.

Edited by ToTellTheTruth

19 hours ago, cripplereh said:

We kinda talked about this a month or two ago.  

I say  EP40. 

He looks like he has matured as a player and only going to get better.

I disagree to giving it to EP40 just yet. one of the best way to stunt a players growth is to give too much responsibility too quickly. Sure there's a chance he will rise to the occasion, but it is much more likely that balancing too may balls results in dropping not juggling. Give EP 1 more full season. Would love to see where his ceiling really lies.

Remember he is only 1 year removed from that terrible 26 game run he had to start last year. Imagine him trying to figure out his game while carrying the weight of the C?

I know there's not really any other options though if we move Schenn and Horvat. Maybe no captain for the rest of the season to see who steps up?

• There it is 2