The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Bruce Boudreau, Trent Cull; name Rick Tocchet as head coach, Adam Foote as assistant coach, Sergei Gonchar as defensive development coach

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

6 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

From a logical / unemotional standpoint this makes sense.  

Bruce didn’t lose the room or anything - so you avoid the Hokey Pokey having Yeo run the bench for 5-6 games before bringing in another coach. Even after the decision was made. Get it all done at once.

Of course, once the Tocchet rumours got out there it took on a life of its own. Was the opposite of a clean break.  

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Omg!!! Man sad day for canucks Nation..  15 players cried! I feel bad wished he could of stayed after the season. I don't know what canucks brass was thinking so much disrespect!!! I shed a tear as well.  Your like PAT Quinn to us...

Love you much bb... 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Dr. Crossbar said:

Lol ... I'm figuring 50-65 ... I mean who has time to write endless 50 paragraph essays each day unless you're retired. ;)

Probably, younger folks are more likely to go to reddit or something else imo. 

You get a lot of reminiscing about the 80's and 90's around here, plenty of fans who've said they've been following the team from day one, lots of discussion about old Canucks players in a firsthand having been there for it kind of manner. It's noticeable.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, 24K PureCool said:

Classic success as a player clouding sane judgement on if they can be great coaches.

Often times the bottom of the lineup players become great coaches and not the other way around. 

I was very confused about the plan for Gonchar as well... he's going to be a virtual assistant?

This plan seems half baked at best.

I guess they ran out of Canucks legends to use as scapegoats so now we are turning to ex HOF defenseman from other clubs.

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Didn’t Tocchet mention he expects to get more out of the guys who don’t play big minutes, so the supporting group?  Maybe he’s talking about guys like Garland?  

Yes, Garland would one I would think. Also Mykheyev, Lazar, Joshua, Dermott, Burroughs and bringing back Podz and Hogs. 

If "bite by bite" they can get a system in place where the bottom D pairing can be relied on rather then Myers/ OEL that would be huge... Those guys need to be at 18 min/game to be effective. Same with Hughes averaging 25/ game. Dermott, Stillman, Burroughs would have to make up the minutes. hmmm....

• There it is 1

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Liked what I heard from Tocchett. Seems like he’s going to take a very reasonable approach to the rest of the season. Understands that long term goals trump wins right now. More about teaching, evaluating and getting to know the players.

I actually didn’t even mind Rutherfords responses. I know everyone wants to crucify him but I thought he was remorseful and owned what happened. A lot of it was just media speculation and intensity driving it.

The one person I was really disappointed with today was Allvin. He’s the most responsible for this mess and he didn’t seem to own up to it too much. Looked disengaged and at times a little intimidated like he had no idea that he was to blame. Did not look like a leader with a confident direction. Seemed like a guy that is putting it on people he hired to fix things.

Isn't that what he is to JR?

Imo Allvin is nothing more then rutherfords assistant and it has shown today and in the past 

• Upvote 1
  • elephant 1

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Liked what I heard from Tocchett. Seems like he’s going to take a very reasonable approach to the rest of the season. Understands that long term goals trump wins right now. More about teaching, evaluating and getting to know the players.

I actually didn’t even mind Rutherfords responses. I know everyone wants to crucify him but I thought he was remorseful and owned what happened. A lot of it was just media speculation and intensity driving it.

The one person I was really disappointed with today was Allvin. He’s the most responsible for this mess and he didn’t seem to own up to it too much. Looked disengaged and at times a little intimidated like he had no idea that he was to blame. Did not look like a leader with a confident direction. Seemed like a guy that is putting it on people he hired to fix things.

That’s the thing…..I don’t agree with how they handled Bruce (made me sick), but the media 100% played a role and that’s a common theme with them in this market, but some want to ignore it. They are horrible in so many ways & this press conference is another example…they are just bad at their jobs. 

Edited by IRR
  • Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, IRR said:

That’s the thing…..I don’t agree with how they handled Bruce (made me sick), but the media 100% percent played a role and that’s a common theme with them in this market, but some want to ignore it. They are horrible in so many ways & this press conference is another example…they are just bad at their jobs. 

That’s a common theme in any sports market..:picard:

• Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

Just now, naslund.is.king said:

Isn't that what he is to JR?

Imo Allvin is nothing more then rutherfords assistant and it has shown today and in the past 

True, but if he wants to grow into a legitimate GM and not Rutherfords hand puppet then moments like these are when he needs to show it.

• Upvote 1