The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Seattle Kraken | Jan. 25, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Seattle is legitimately solid. Wasn't expecting a win at all tonight, especially 2nd game in 2 nights.

I think it's still way too early to judge Tocchet - they have only really had 1 practice - but what tonight hopefully reinforces for management is that the path ahead is major surgery. I hope they can make some deals sooner rather than later.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Devron said:

They are just firing up the rivalry. I say good for them. We don’t have much of a rivalry with other teams anymore. I miss it.

Could be our battle of Alberta one day 

Biggest rivalry for us is the owner and mgmt now.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

10 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

You want to pay for OEL for 8 years?

Minnesota did it with two players, not one. And their 8 year buyouts were a lot worse. We save almost the entire contract next year so we can make some big changes. The year after it’s only $2 million. Years 3 and 4 it’s $4 million but by that time the cap is supposed to be up to $92 million.  And then the last 4 years is $2 million.

It’s obviously not the ideal situation long term but I think JR is at least considering it.  Unless OEL agrees to wave and we eat 50% of the contract for 4 years. Not sure that is any better to be honest as it hurts us a lot more in the first 2 years. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 2

2 minutes ago, Qwags said:

CBJ won in OT, good progress for the tank. I hope OEL is bought out this summer.

I hope they hold off one more year.  OEL has been getting put into horrible positions and tonight was a perfect example.  There was at least two Seattle goals where OEL was covering his man and in the last second had to try and shuffle due to a defensive zone breakdown.  How many times did OEL stop a Seattle forward streaking in on the net, three, four?  

OEL was one of the few bright spots except for Spencer Martin, Dakota Joshua (miniscule positive effect), DiGiuseppe (won some battles), and Garland.  

If we hold off one more year on the buyout, it would cut down the length of time to repay the penalties in the long run and make the numbers smaller. 

Regardless, we are getting the equivalent of a 5 mil/year d-man for next year but paying him 7.2 mil.  His contract inefficiency is not reason enough to make our team worst with a penalty in the immediate future (next year). 

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Minnesota did it with two players, not one. And their 8 year buyouts were a lot worse. We save almost the entire contract next year so we can make some big changes. The year after it’s only $2 million. Years 3 and 4 it’s $4 million but by that time the cap is supposed to be up to $92 million.  And then the last 4 years is $2 million.

It’s obviously not the ideal situation long term but I think JR is at least considering it.  Unless OEL agrees to wave and we eat 50% of the contract for 4 years. Not sure that is any better to be honest as it hurts up a lot more in the first 2 years. 

Except Minny had/has a prospect pool and relatively deep defense core to help absorb it, we clearly do not.  

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I hope they hold off one more year.  OEL has been getting put into horrible positions and tonight was a perfect example.  There was at least two Seattle goals where OEL was covering his man and in the last second had to try and shuffle due to a defensive zone breakdown.  How many times did OEL stop a Seattle forward streaking in on the net, three, four?  

OEL was one of the few bright spots except for Spencer Martin, Dakota Joshua (miniscule positive effect), DiGiuseppe (won some battles), and Garland.  

If we hold off one more year on the buyout, it would cut down the length of time to repay the penalties in the long run and make the numbers smaller. 

Regardless, we are getting the equivalent of a 5 mil/year d-man for next year but paying him 7.2 mil.  His contract inefficiency is not reason enough to make our team worst with a penalty in the immediate future (next year). 

I agree.  Get him a real partner. No more giraffe. 

• Cheers 2