The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks getting calls on Thatcher Demko

17 minutes ago, tas said:

elite goalies don't go top 10 in the draft anymore unless the draft is bad. you're lucky if you get 1 or 2 goalies on any first round and it has nothing to do with their talent level. 

I'm not grasping at straws in any sense because I haven't made any claims about what demko could return (the goalie market is always fickle). the people grasping at straws are the ones suddenly painting demko as damaged goods based on literally a month and a half that should be discarded entirely because of how terrible the team is. 

Goaltending is a fickle position. The reason why they don't go high in the draft is because they are not sure things.

"especially when the rest of his track record up to this point, since he was a teenager, was exclusively "elite goalie"."  "he's been pegged as an elite starter since before he we went to college. his pedigree is beyond reproach."

I am not sure what you were trying to imply here. Demko had high potential but he wasn't a sure thing. He has been elite only since the bubble which was less than 3 years ago. It would have been better to state that he had the potential of that.

Some goalies have a great stretch then can fall off due to various reasons. It happens a lot. 

GMs are gonna consider everything due to simply how fickle goalies can be. Demko had a worse roster last year yet played much better. Teams are gonna wonder why. Teams are gonna wonder about his injuries. Teams will wonder about his existing injuries. Teams won't disregard those things when inquiring about Demko.

Who's been painting him as damaged goods? I think his value is lower than it was last year and that people are naive to think we'll get a incredible return given the current circumstances. 

Just now, timberz21 said:

Yes, also, those call might not be for a trade deadline deal, but rather early discussion on a potential draft day deal.

If Demko returns and is lights out, even on a short period, it could help his potential return.

Most certainly it would up the return. Especially if he can return to form over an extended period. Could backfire if he does not play up to par as well though

That's what makes this a bit more of a pickle for management than Horvat IMO. 

There's not really a clear cut way to go about this. 

37 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

I can leave out the injuries and name a bunch that were the hottest goalies in the league for a couple years and then seemingly lost their games.  It happens all the time. Goaltender is an oddball position and Demko does not have a very established record as a starter.  I’m not saying he won’t get it back. But man, until he returns to play and gets back to his expected level of play you have to admit there are red flags and reasons for concern. 

I don't have to admit. I am completely unconcerned that demko will return to form. he's been too good for too long not to. he's not some flash on the pan who had one or two crazy years and then regressed back to normal. 

10 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Goaltending is a fickle position. The reason why they don't go high in the draft is because they are not sure things.

"especially when the rest of his track record up to this point, since he was a teenager, was exclusively "elite goalie"."  "he's been pegged as an elite starter since before he we went to college. his pedigree is beyond reproach."

I am not sure what you were trying to imply here. Demko had high potential but he wasn't a sure thing. He has been elite only since the bubble which was less than 3 years ago. It would have been better to state that he had the potential of that.

Some goalies have a great stretch then can fall off due to various reasons. It happens a lot. 

GMs are gonna consider everything due to simply how fickle goalies can be. Demko had a worse roster last year yet played much better. Teams are gonna wonder why. Teams are gonna wonder about his injuries. Teams will wonder about his existing injuries. Teams won't disregard those things when inquiring about Demko.

Who's been painting him as damaged goods? I think his value is lower than it was last year and that people are naive to think we'll get a incredible return given the current circumstances. 

thatcher has been in the category of "elite" since before he was drafted. it still takes time to develop at the professional level, but even then, his trajectory the entire time was elite. 

2 hours ago, Mando27 said:

Could see Demko and Schenn going to Pitt for something like Jarry+.

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Jarry + Kapanen (cap) + Blomqvist + Pickering/Poulin or a 2nd?

Not sure why Pittsburgh would need to add. Jarry so far has been the superior goalie of out the two. 

3 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Dhali reporting that some social media fanatics have noticed Demko's parents liking tweets of others that blast the Canucks org. He also reported, however, that Demko's camp confirmed he has not asked for a trade. 

I think reporting stuff like what tweets his parents are liking is too personal and not professional at all

6 minutes ago, tas said:

thatcher has been in the category of "elite" since before he was drafted. it still takes time to develop at the professional level, but even then, his trajectory the entire time was elite. 

He had the potential yeah. It took him till the bubble 2020 to show he had the capability to play elite at the NHL level. That was less than 3 years ago. 

10 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Dhali reporting that some social media fanatics have noticed Demko's parents liking tweets of others that blast the Canucks org. He also reported, however, that Demko's camp confirmed he has not asked for a trade. 

I looked into that and it just looked like the theme was tweets supporting Bruce more than blasting management.  

Bruce was a huge Demko fan. 

11 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

That puts a bit of a damper on the rumours of him wanting out. 

7 minutes ago, brian42 said:

Only way I’m trading Demko even if he asked for trade is if we get Jarry back in a trade with another asset. The Canucks could likley get a deal done with Jarry. 

Tristan Jarry?

Why would we trade Demko for him when he is a pending UFA that JR and PA are like a shoe in to sign here in the summer.

16 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Not sure why Pittsburgh would need to add. Jarry so far has been the superior goalie of out the two. 

That's fair...might have been a bit eager there lol. But why not just extend Jarry then? Perhaps it's because Demko's under a solid value deal already, with likely less term/commitment than Jarry would require. Plus I was taking Kapanen back as a cap dump (actually helps them clear an extra $1.7m, perhaps for other moves). I don't think Jarry + Kap + say only one (instead of 2) of Blomqvist/Pickering/Poulin would be out of line (+/- a depth pick) for that.

5 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Tristan Jarry?

Why would we trade Demko for him when he is a pending UFA that JR and PA are like a shoe in to sign here in the summer.

Why would Pittsburgh do it? Why move a goalie who’s been vastly superior this season and is healthy for a guy who hasn’t played a game since early December?   They’re hip deep in a playoff race and they need two healthy goalies. 

Just now, qwijibo said:

Why would Pittsburgh do it? Why move a goalie who’s been vastly superior this season and is healthy for a guy who hasn’t played a game since early December?   They’re hip deep in a playoff race and they need two healthy goalies. 

Yeah hence any trade involving Jarry doesn't make sense. 

9 minutes ago, aGENT said:

That's fair...might have been a bit eager there lol. But why not just extend Jarry then? Perhaps it's because Demko's under a solid value deal already, with likely less term/commitment than Jarry would require. Plus I was taking Kapanen back as a cap dump (actually helps them clear an extra $1.7m, perhaps for other moves). I don't think Jarry + Kap + say only one (instead of 2) of Blomqvist/Pickering/Poulin would be out of line (+/- a depth pick) for that.

Maybe there's concern of Jarry not re-signing with them?

Either way if Demko's traded then Jarry would probably be the #1 target for JR I reckon if he manages to fall to FA.

Edited by Junkyard Dog

15 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Would be hard for us to retain Jarry as it is, without moving out a contract (ie: Garland/Boeser). He’s likely looking at 7m+ on his next contract. 

Pittsburgh are probably hesitant to giveaway any prospects as well. When Crosby, Malkin, and Letang are getting up there in age. 

2 minutes ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

From “outside noise” himself Rick Dhaliwal

Lol.

Yep “insiders” like Rick can’t help but tweet every thought and bit of baseless speculation that pops in their head.

The sad thing is is that the players do end up wanting out. Not because they don’t like the team or the market, they just get sick of dealing with BS from the media circus. 

Any professional athlete will tell you they just wanna focus on playing. It’s so draining to be distracted by all this noise all the time.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1