The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Bo Horvat to Islanders for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty, 2023 1st-round draft pick

4 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

I dunno what cap space ppl keep referring to with the bo trade. They gained 0 cap space for next season and actually lost 4+ in cap space by taking on AB since bo doesn’t occupy cap space unsigned. They have even less cap space than they started with next summer if they traded bo for expiring contract instead 

If BO wasn't traded he would have taken up $8 million next year.  With him traded we have just under $4 million of that money.

At the end of the day, we aren't adding any new players until others are either traded or released.  Boeser, Garland, Myers, Stillman, Schenn, Demko, OEL.  All of these guys could be moved or bought out.  I think it's 50/50 that we buy out OEL.  That's $32 million in cap space for those 7 guys.  We might keep Garland as he's a Tocchet guy. and we probably need to retain $2 million on Boeser, so that leaves 6 guys and $25 million in cap space to replace them.

15 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Didn't Miller play centre most of last year?  I think he will be our 2C until we draft Bedard.  Also, Beauviller can play centre, so he could be our 3C...

this year ya for sure he's going to have to play 2c 1 way or another. buttman is going to make sure we dont get bedard he doesn't want the next potential generation player to go to the current dumpster fire and make sure one of his original 6 teams wins the lottery so i don't think we have to worry about bedard.

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If BO wasn't traded he would have taken up $8 million next year.  With him traded we have just under $4 million of that money.

At the end of the day, we aren't adding any new players until others are either traded or released.  Boeser, Garland, Myers, Stillman, Schenn, Demko, OEL.  All of these guys could be moved or bought out.  I think it's 50/50 that we buy out OEL.  That's $32 million in cap space for those 7 guys.  We might keep Garland as he's a Tocchet guy. and we probably need to retain $2 million on Boeser, so that leaves 6 guys and $25 million in cap space to replace them.

if all or even 3/4 of that list is bought out or traded i don't even think you have to worry about cap space for EP coz he ain't re-signing here. literally the only core player left from the "core" is hughes. if that's not a full on 4-5 years rebuild or "retool" then i dunno what is.

7 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

this year ya for sure he's going to have to play 2c 1 way or another. buttman is going to make sure we dont get bedard he doesn't want the next potential generation player to go to the current dumpster fire and make sure one of his original 6 teams wins the lottery so i don't think we have to worry about bedard.

if all or even 3/4 of that list is bought out or traded i don't even think you have to worry about cap space for EP coz he ain't re-signing here. literally the only core player left from the "core" is hughes. if that's not a full on 4-5 years rebuild or "retool" then i dunno what is.

Petey is literally re-signing here. He's a RFA at the end of his current contract.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

Petey is literally re-signing here. He's a RFA at the end of his current contract.

He's in the same situation as Tkachuk was in Calgary.  A high QO (8.82M) that he could just sign to reach free agency a year later if his preference is to move on.  

1 hour ago, Cromeslab said:

No matter what Bo being traded hurts the team.How management deals with it all eyes are on you....

Not sure how a team at the bottom gets hurt just because we pay more to keep the same guys

Bo is a good player but he does not lead or elevate players around him

There is no hope giving out retirement contracts to a team at the bottom of the standings

We did it with LE 

We did it with OEL

At least now we have hope with changing the way we do things with building a team

26 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Those players need to be traded or bought out so that we can take the next step.  Petey and Hughes are the core. They will get paid and they will be the leaders of this team.  Petey is our next captain. He’s not going to leave because he is going to get paid and be a captain in the NHL.  Most teams that are Stanley Cup contenders are capped out, it’s not like they can squeeze Petey onto their roster for $11 million. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, mll said:

He's in the same situation as Tkachuk was in Calgary.  A high QO (8.82M) that he could just sign to reach free agency a year later if his preference is to move on.  

Yeah, but the point I'm making is, he will re-sign here because of the fact that

he's an RFA, rather than a UFA. Plus, with the way things are developing, he'd

more than likely want to be the face of the team, along with Hughes.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Those players need to be traded or bought out so that we can take the next step.  Petey and Hughes are the core. They will get paid and they will be the leaders of this team.  Petey is our next captain. He’s not going to leave because he is going to get paid and be a captain in the NHL.  Most teams that are Stanley Cup contenders are capped out, it’s not like they can squeeze Petey onto their roster for $11 million. 

In 2 years teams that don't look like much today could well be looking like contenders.  Pettersson has a 8.82M qualifying offer.  He can sign it to hit UFA a year later.  

Minnesota is completely cap strapped for another 2 seasons but Petttersson becomes UFA just when they gain a net 13M in cap space with their buyouts dropping to 1.7M from 14.7M.  Zuccarello who has been Kaprizov's linemate ever since he signed will be off the books and they'll need someone  else to play with him.   The Wild don't intend to spend much the next few seasons with Guerin still trying to add to their prospect pool, who is already one of the highest ranked in the league.  In 2 years the hope is for their prospects to be more established and go for it then.  

Idem for LA really.  LA talks of lottery team to playoff team to contender.  Their president Luc Robitaille was talking about how last season they went under the radar while this year they need to show they can be a playoff team.  Contender status is not yet for now when they still have to establish themselves as a playoff team.  There's a lot of inconsistency still and they are trying to integrate their prospects.  Could see Kopitar extending on the cheap for another year but that's still 11M that could open up and possibly consider a UFA like Pettersson when their new core is more established. 

Seattle has a lot of established veterans with only 2 players on their roster under 23 - Beniers and waiver pick up Tolvanen.  They don't have any long term cap commitment and are still building their prospect pool.  That could also be an option in 2 years when their prospects are further along and there's some better indication of where they are at.  Who knows where Detroit will be at in 2 years too.  There should be sufficient teams coming out of their rebuild for Pettersson to have some solid options should he decide he prefers to move on. 

Edited by mll

1 minute ago, mll said:

In 2 years teams that don't look like much today could well be looking like contenders.  Pettersson has a 8.82M qualifying offer.  He can sign it to hit UFA a year later.  

Minnesota is completely cap strapped for another 2 seasons but Petttersson becomes UFA just when they gain a net 13M in cap space with their buyouts dropping to 1.7M from 14.7M.  Zuccarello who has been Kaprizov's linemate ever since he signed will be off the books and they'll need someone  else to play with him.   The Wild don't intend to spend much the next few seasons with Guerin still trying to add to their prospect pool, who is already one of the highest ranked in the league.  In 2 years the hope is for their prospects to be more established and go for it then.  

Idem for LA really.  LA talks of lottery team to playoff team to contender.  Their president Luc Robitaille was talking about how last season they went under the radar while this year they need to show they can be a playoff team.  Contender status is not yet for now when they still have to establish themselves as a playoff team.  There's a lot of inconsistency still and they are trying to integrate their prospects.  Could see Kopitar extending on the cheap for another year but that's still 11M that could open up and possibly consider a UFA like Pettersson when their new core is more established. 

Seattle has a lot of established veterans with only 2 players on their roster under 23 - Beniers and waiver pick up Tolvanen.  They don't have any long term cap commitment and are still building their prospect pool.  That could also be an option in 2 years when their prospects are further along and there's some better indication of where they are at.  Who knows where Detroit will be at in 2 years too.  There should be sufficient teams coming out of their rebuild for Pettersson to have some solid options. 

Petey’s isn’t going to Minnesota.  He doesn’t even know where it is. Has a Swedish superstar ever played in Minnesota before?

Same with Seattle. They are good now, but have an older team. They also already have 2 young centres who are basically their two best prospects/players. 

LA could be an option, but that is like one team out of 32.  At the end of the day, Vancouver is a prime place for Swedish players. Always has been.  And he has the chance to be the face of the franchise and the captain while getting an $11 million contract.  He would follow in the footsteps of Naslund and the Sedins. There is no guarantee that Minnesota, LA or Seattle will be any better in 2-3 years than Vancouver. They aren’t cup contenders. 

I can pretty much guarantee that Petey will be the next captain of the Vancouver Canucks and will get an 11x8 contract extension. He will be the face of the franchise for the next decade. The only way this doesn’t happen is if we win the lottery and draft Connor Bedard. If that were to actually happen then I could see us trading Petey for a Kings ransom and making Bedard the face of this franchise. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Gotta wonder what the plan is now with that 7+ million dollars this team had earmarked for Bo.

This management clearly had a plan to fit him in if he had accepted their last offer. So do they really just sit on that money? This organization has never been one to do that in past.

I wonder what targets they’d look at in free agency. You know they’re gonna spend.

It’s spoken for with Kuzmenko at $5.5 and our new Beau at $4.15… at least for next season. After the Kuzmenko extension it’s really like an additional $2 million saved on the money Horvat was offered. 

The only way this gets fixed is if we move out Boeser, Garland, Myers, OEL, Demko, Miller. At least 2 of those contracts and preferably 3-4 of them. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Timråfan said:

It says C on Beavillier also so he might slot in on 3C.

There was a time... Took 297 draws in his rookie season, 166 the next, 57 in his 3rd and less than 13 in each of the past 3. 

Maybe he is ready for another go at it... I doubt it though (only 42.9 on the draw).

16 hours ago, -DLC- said:

A little bit of that is the damn inconsistency in officiating.

Myers gets penalized if his breath reaches another player.

We've always had the book thrown at us for infractions that some other teams can get away with. Slide under the radar. The white towel has followed us and we just can't do what some other teams (Bruins) can. It's handcuffed this team and I think the "don't or we'll get penalized", which is based in reality, should be thrown out the window at times. Go for it anyhow, it'll soon change. Which is why I don't think we should let Schenn go. Then what?

I remember in the bubble when Myers was averaging what felt like 3 penalties a game. None were actual penalties it was just the fact he was 6'8 and it sucks really because I feel Myers is so soft these days and doesn't touch anyone out there. Half the time he gets outmuscled/overpowered by guys 6 ft. and its hard to blame him because if he touches someone it's a penalty or hit to the head lol

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

15 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Gotta wonder what the plan is now with that 7+ million dollars this team had earmarked for Bo.

This management clearly had a plan to fit him in if he had accepted their last offer. So do they really just sit on that money? This organization has never been one to do that in past.

I wonder what targets they’d look at in free agency. You know they’re gonna spend.

I don't know for sure that they are going to spend. This management does seem very patient, and I think they are learning this year exactly how valuable having CAP space can be mid season.

Since theres always big risk in signing long term UFAs, I'd rather see them ice a much weaker lineup, but be sitting on some dollars that positions them to steal a trade talent wise, by using some cap.

Where can I buy this crystal ball every one has that is telling them Petey will re-sign a long term extension with the Canucks?

Cuz I’m sure that last year, some posters crystal balls said…Miller will be traded and Bo would be a Canuck forever.

:P

7 hours ago, coryberg said:

There was a time... Took 297 draws in his rookie season, 166 the next, 57 in his 3rd and less than 13 in each of the past 3. 

Maybe he is ready for another go at it... I doubt it though (only 42.9 on the draw).

I read he prefers playing centre - usually C/W start at W and move to C but he appears to have done the reverse. The remainder of the season is a good test - he has far more value at C than W in our lineup 

1 hour ago, BPA said:

Where can I buy this crystal ball every one has that is telling them Petey will re-sign a long term extension with the Canucks?

Cuz I’m sure that last year, some posters crystal balls said…Miller will be traded and Bo would be a Canuck forever.

:P

I believe it's on the shelf next to the one that has Pete signing a QO and running off to join a contender.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Hey man, I am right there with you. I just know from the last 10 years of disappointment. We never suck enough  to get those premium picks. Lol. So I was mentally preparing myself for the worst. Do I want this team to play out of the top five, no. Do I fully believe they will cause they hate my happiness, a little bit.

Worst is when they so suck enough to get a premium pick and then choose the wrong players.  Can you imagine

if Nylander and McAvoy were on our team?:picard: