The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Bo Horvat to Islanders for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty, 2023 1st-round draft pick

2 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Well hopefully they don't fall too fast. 

Hard for them to sell if they are in the 8th seed and just traded futures to get Horvat. 

Good thing tdl is coming up soon. 

. Tough choices to make for Lou. 

With Sorokin in net there's a good chance they don't 

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I think the draft is strong enough that the NYI would take the draft pick this year over next. Their roster is aging and the win now is real. A top #12 pick this year might yield a young roster player for next year. I don't know if the roster can maintain a playoff position next year or not. A full year of Bo but a roster another year older. GM Lou can be a bit of a loose cannon. 

Depends on what they do.

Varlamov has had a bounce back season and could be sold to a team who needs a tender at 50%. Vegas, LA, Seattle, Edmonton, as well as others could have interest. Could get a 1st or 2nd.

Mayfield is another RD on a manageable cap hit. Maybe a 1st or 2nd.

Could sell Parise who has 15 goals at a 750k cap hit.

Isles could just sell and address their roster in the offseason. Sell, buy out Bailey and find a top six wing, find a bottom pairing RD and another depth winger. Maybe circle back around to Varlamov on a cheaper deal.

I know folks dream of the Isles being awful and somehow ending up with a top 5 pick but I just don't see it.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, mll said:

Barzal is fun as hell to watch when he’s got the puck. He reminds me of a ringette player with how he can stickhandle. (That’s a compliment btw)

He tries to play the right way too, and gives up a lot of offence doing so. He’s a guy I’d love to have here. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Bounce000 said:

Would be nice but it’s top 12 protected, highest pick we would get this year is 13th. Not that that’s any much of a difference.

I believe Lou does have final say. IE, he can choose to let a 11 or 10 pick go to us this year?

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Barzal is fun as hell to watch when he’s got the puck. He reminds me of a ringette player with how he can stickhandle. (That’s a compliment btw)

He tries to play the right way too, and gives up a lot of offence doing so. He’s a guy I’d love to have here. 

For sure, reminds me of Patrick Kane with how he can hold the puck. 

• There it is 1

2 minutes ago, rekker said:

I believe Lou does have final say. IE, he can choose to let a 11 or 10 pick go to us this year?

If it came to a 10-12 pick, the Islanders would likely give it to us. They just did not want to risk giving us a franchise altering top 5 pick

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Depends on what they do.

Varlamov has had a bounce back season and could be sold to a team who needs a tender at 50%. Vegas, LA, Seattle, Edmonton, as well as others could have interest. Could get a 1st or 2nd.

Isles could just sell and address their roster in the offseason. Sell, buy out Bailey and find a top six wing, find a bottom pairing RD and another depth winger. Maybe circle back around to Varlamov on a cheaper deal.

I know folks dream of the Isles being awful and somehow ending up with a top 5 pick but I just don't see it.

Got to wonder if there is a world where they give us the pick if it's in the 9-12 range ( and they aren't super high on the guys there ) because maybe they are concerned the 24' pick could be lower

We should almost consider moving that pick regardless. For example last year SJ moved the 11th for the 27th, 34th and 45th. This is something we should definitely consider. Who knows we either make the selections or we got some real nice assets for this year's Devon toews 

Edited by Mustard Tiger
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Got to wonder if there is a world where they give us the pick if it's in the 9-12 range ( and they aren't super high on the guys there ) because maybe they are concerned the 24' pick could be lower

We should almost consider moving that pick regardless. For example last year SJ moved the 11th for the 27th, 34th and 45th. This is something we should definitely consider. Who knows we either make the selections or we got some real nice assets for this year's Devon toews 

Or we draft 5 and 11 and move them both to move up to get Leo Carlsson? 

I'm pretty sure Barzal blew out his knee.  They couldn't make that call so quickly that he is out indefinitely.  It's like Mikheyev, it was leaked he blew out his knee right away, but then he continued to play as the ACL wasn't fully torn.  I think Barzal has a torn ACL.  If that is the case, not only is he done for the year, but he may miss a part of next year as well.

As long as the Islanders don't get one of the top 2 picks from the lottery, I think they will give us their 2023 pick, which could be as low as 8 or 9 now that Barzal is done for the year.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Tanks a lot 1

19 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Depends on what they do.

Miller

for

2024 1st & 2nd rdr - 2023 2nd rdr + a prosoect

-don't want Mayfield, to old

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Or we draft 5 and 11 and move them both to move up to get Leo Carlsson? 

If we are at 5 and the Islanders pick is 8-10, then yes we may have a good shot at moving up to 3.  I think Bedard and Fantilli are untouchable at 1 and 2.  But Carlsson may be a notch below Fantilli, so 2 top 10 picks might be able to get the 3 pick, depending which team has that pick.  Arizona for example might take the two picks for 3.