The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Bo Horvat to Islanders for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty, 2023 1st-round draft pick

1 minute ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Why weren't we keeping Bo?????

Because they signed Boeser and Mikheyev.... when they should have known Bo would have a good season before UFA and should have allowed CAP space to re-sign him.

A simple case of poor CAP management.

Raty is a 2nd rounder who has not shown much in the AHL.  Beauvillier is a serviceable bottom sixer who is being paid too much.  The pick is a mid pack... won't get us any guarateed roster player... most likely we'll see a bottom six forward or third pairing D in 2-3 years.

Crazy to think that if we just didn't sign Mikheyev and played Podkolzin or Hoglander in the top-6, we could have payed Bo's raise and maybe even signed a cheap 3rd line center (like Jarnkrok/Janmark/Tierney) to a 2-3M deal. That was 5M we really didn't need to splash on another winger.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, grandmaster said:

At least with the Islanders, we get a good ranked 1st as opposed to Boston or Carolina.

This Raty guy seems to be their best prospect who is also a Centre.

650 guys saying Beau can be like another Garland for production but cheaper. 

Not a bad trade for an expiring contract. 

Probably the best pick we were gonna get. I think not getting a defencemen is a fail but I like Raty

• Cheers 1

I actually think this is a pretty dam good trade. 

I loved Bo at times, but the idea and reality of Bo, as i've said before, were not always the same.  If we had signed him for 8M + you can bet he would be back at 20g 60pt next year.

Ratu i really wanted in the draft - i followed him really closely that year, and he artificially tanked his standings from consensus first over all to 2nd round pick due to not putting up points but still playing a tight defensive game. I still thought he would go top 15 and was fuming when we missed him in the 2nd.  Next season he tore it up and was back to Blue chip status - i haven't really followed his progress in NA as closely but his stats show he is still trending well. Big unit of a C who can play shutdown with some serious offensive upside on his day. 

I think he can make an impact next year and is cost controlled for 2 more years. 

1st is all good.

Disappointing we couldn't have got a decent D prospect out of it instead of Beauvillier but we could probably flip him, or he could provide cover for losing Garland + Brock at the TDL.  Its not a home run - but I think its one of the better realistic packages i saw floating around.  Better than the Boston and Car ones IMO at least

We are only 1M better of in the cap next year as a result if we can't flip Beau or some of the other overpaid wingers tho - which limits our ability to rebuild the D. 

We don't get strong this year - we get A LOT weaker which helps team Tank. 

Its and change and this team badly needed one - bringing back Bo + the rest of the core would have produced the same results.  Its the retool we needed... in hindsight tradiing Miller would have been better - but this years Miller is likely next years Bo if he had stayed, and Maybe JT steps up now Bo has gone - lots of smoke about those two not getting on.  

• Cheers 4

This was the return I thought we’d get for Miller. So BO’s value was basically the same as Miller’s even though lots of people thought we’d get a way bigger return for BO. 

I like Raty. He’s a good 200’ player and good at faceoffs. He could be a very good 3C. And possible for him to be a 2C. 

Beavillier was included for cap reasons. I doubt he will be here after next season. We could trade him at next year’s deadline for a pick. 

The Islanders should make the playoffs with BO. So not concerned about the top 12 protection on the pick. I think it will be in the 18-23 range. So we will get a good prospect with it. 

I expected more for BO. Maybe the interest wasn’t as great as we thought. Also, have the Islanders extended him?  If not this isn’t a bad return for a rental. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Rabid Rooster said:

You’re not religious? Really? Settle down, we got a decent return with a 1st round pick.

He may have left for nothing. Seems we are overvaluing our player; who may well have peaked.

Yeah, decent return is the bar for miller, not horvat.  Theres what, 5 weeks to the deadline when teams are most desperate?  Why wouldnt you wait until teams are most desperate?

• Cheers 1

It'd be amusing if the Isles missed the playoffs and Bo walked in the offseason, and the Isles ended up a lottery team next year.

I know the return seems underwhelming, but there are a lot of ways this could blow up in the Isles face.

It's also interesting seeing Lou finally land the player that he missed out on in the 2013 draft. Full circle. 

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot
  • Cheers 2
  • elephant 1

Just now, stawns said:

Yeah, decent return is the bar for miller, not horvat.  Theres what, 5 weeks to the deadline when teams are most desperate?  Why wouldnt you wait until teams are most desperate?

Because this is the most desperate team of the bunch, stawns.

7 minutes ago, drdeath said:

I never had in my consideration us trading Bo to a team that wouldn’t even make the playoffs. Yet somehow that’s entirely possible.

We knew Bo’s camp didn’t like our latest offer and he wanted to test the market. And he’s earned that right. But if he ended up in say Boston I could see him resigning and being a core piece there for years without ever getting to free agency. Now we secured some assets and have swung the pendulum more likely in the direction of Bo becoming a UFA. Unless the islanders tear it up over the rest of the season which certainly could still happen. 

Fair. 

What are the assets that are worth ‘him’?