The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Bo Horvat to Islanders for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty, 2023 1st-round draft pick

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

Hard to say.......depends where Van finishes, depends where NYI finish, depends on how teams feel about Michov

Ok perhaps that is the one example we could see a top 5 pick traded if it was for Michkov. It's still very unlikely. 

1 minute ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I don't think Bo was the reason for the problem of the culture but changes need to be made and they certainly can't stop here. We need about another 2 roster moves minimum to change this culture.

To me, moving bo means it's Petey's team, but miller is never going to let this be anything but millers team

1 minute ago, lmm said:

what, 

you don't think we trade that 13-18 for a 6-7 defenseman with potential to play top 2 in Van?

Canucks don't need a 6-7 D... we have 5-6-7 D's coming out our ears.

OEL can play as a 5-6-7, Myers can play as a 5-6-7, Bear can play as a 5-6-7.  If Schenn is still here, he can play 5-6-7.

Canucks need #2, #3, #4 D's to complement Hughes at #1.... preferably with size and mobility.

Just now, Primal Optimist said:

SO, we immediately start cheering for the Islanders to miss the playoffs, barely?

I don't see them catching Buffalo or Pittsburgh at all, even with Bo. Desperate JB-like move by Lou and if they miss the playoffs he should be fired.

NYI are 3 games above .500 and the last wildcard spot team are 8 above .500, that's quite a gap. Sure, plenty of time, but they just don't have enough quality on that team and defensive depth IMO.

Just now, Warhippy said:

Ask the Habs if they'd trade Bedard for pick 6 and 13.  Then lemme know how being laughed at sounds in 2 different languages

The French TSN had both MTL 1sts + caufield for 1OA. 

We better be picking with our picks though... Never know could get another winger :P

Canucks retaining on Bo is fine since it's just for this year. Could it have resulted in higher return elsewhere? Maybe, but impossible to know unless other packages are disclosed (which is highly doubtful).

That being said, I can see this deal still being decent value.

For the same reasons the Canucks don't want to sign Bo to a deal reflecting this year's production, I'm sure other teams were wary of trading a package for a 90+ point C in his only season scoring at that pace. It was never realistic for another team to bet the farm on Bo based on this year's production. This trade package is decent for Bo's career numbers.

2023 1st Rd picks seem to very closely held by GMs this year (understandably) so securing the possibility of acquiring one is pretty good and there is the possibility of having an unprotected selection in 2024. That is actually pretty good. The Canucks will either pick twice in the first round, probably anywhere between 6-10 and/or 13-20, or they will pick twice next year (possibly with two lottery picks). Maybe retention on Bo was what brought the 2023 1st Rder into play and allowed for no-pick protection in 2024.

On first appearance, this is not a "home run" deal but it is a decent one that can turn into a home run especially if Raty even comes close to his potential and if the pick ultimately are able to contribute in the NHL.  Beauvillier has struggled over the last year but he's still a decent forward.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1