The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Bo Horvat to Islanders for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty, 2023 1st-round draft pick

59 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'm happy with Raty as the main piece, but they should have gotten a dman back, not a small winger.  I'm not sure, but I think they've already got one of those

Why do we all just assume this is the end of the line. What if AB is moved for the dman? Or we use the Islanders pick to fetch a young Dman like they did last year?

All we did we create more opportunities to do what needs to be done...We shouldnt be complaining. It's not a 1 trade fix

Edited by Mustard Tiger
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

It's kinda hard repeating the same things over and over

For years, the core assets of need for this team have been the following

• RHD
  • RHC
  • Picks/Prospects of all types
  • Cap space

Aside from Raty who is being sent directly to Abby and a protected pick this year or sliding to next.  What has been addressed?  Raty may not play up here at all this year; which is actually a good thing.  That pick while good is only one pick.  We added cap by taking a LW back on a single year deal and addressed none of the needs of RHD or RHC that have plagued this team for over a decade.

Again, it's ok to be meh about this or feel underwhelmed but in no way does it check the boxes of most dire and essential need.

The "one pick" will likely be a mid rd first in a strong draft, which is most likely the best possible pick we were ever going to land. 

Having a preference for a RHC does not change the fact that our pool was in desperate need of ANY legit center prospects, and Raty was likely the best or at least one of the best available. 

Not being able to weaponize cap space sucks, but if if we play our cards right and inflate Beau's numbers over the next year and change, we could theoretically retain 50% at next year's deadline and move him for something of value. 

5 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Okay now lets lay out a very possible hypothetical scenario here

Another possible scenario is that NYI miss the playoffs this year and keep their pick. But maybe they also struggle next year in 2023/24, especially if Horvat doesn't re-sign, even sinking to the bottom!

Good thing the Canucks have their unprotected 1st pick in 2024 ::D

• There it is 1

2 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Honestly, Millers little on-ice tanties aside, he sure looks like the one more committed to this franchise. 

Bo and management have had that, “soon to be divorced” feel for awhile. 

Since miller signed his deal, yes.  However Bo said in the summer and even this season he'd thought he'd be a Canuck for his career.  

Edited by stawns
  • Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

OK Mr Smarm.

Traded for Gudbranson, so he was obviously top 4 right?

Boy, our D has struggled for awhile now :lol: 

(Both Guddy and Sbisa played well enough, on other teams in particular, in proper roles.)

Edited by ilduce39
Oops comma in the wrong spot

37 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Come on dude. If you're going to have a name of "Zerofaith" and literally make zero faith accusations, it's obvious what you're doing and I can't take you seriously like... at all. lol

It’s just a username dummy, way to attach meaning to make yourself feel better

Just now, Mustard Tiger said:

Why do we all just assume this is the end of the line. What if AB is moved for the dman? Or we use the Islanders pick to fetch a young Dman like they did last year?

All we did we create more opportunities to do what needs to be done...We shouldnt be complaining. It's not a 1 trade fix

You think someone is taking AB and his $4.1m deal for his 35 points?

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

He's a pretty good bet to be a 3C.  Everyone wanted to trade BO for picks and prospects.  That's exactly what we did.  And we weakened our team considerably so we can go full on tank hard for Bedard.  The fact that some people are upset about this is quite strange given all the of tank for Bedard and rebuild talk that's been going on around here these past few weeks...

Maybe, but we had this conversation yesterday regarding betting on prospects, potential is just potential until it's not. We'll see, he'll get a chance to show what he can do in Abbotsford in the meantime.

Sure, but folks are allowed to be underwhelmed. Raty is fine, I suggested him as a piece we could acquire months ago. I'm disappointed we couldn't grab a D prospect though, Beauvillier makes the trade a bit underwhelming for me. I'm pretty meh about him, we'll see. Lot of people wanted to keep Horvat, I was one of them. There are many of us who will, and have argued that we kept the wrong guy. 

This is a big move, and not just in terms of assets going either way. It's big in a lot of ways and people are going to react to that. 

• elephant 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I'd say a number of people are unhappy with a top 12 protected pick

What team lower in the standings would have had the same type of package in return for Bo?

Nashville 

Philly 

Florida

Detroit

Ottawa

St louis

Montreal 

Canucks

San jose

arizona

Anaheim 

Chicago

Columbus 

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

Yes, but what are the odds of that? 

Better than a lot of teams firsts.

Apparently people didn’t think Ottawa would finish bottom 5 in the Duchene trade (including Ottawa)

Sure the odds are against that happening, but of all the teams that were willing to give up a 1st, they’d be the team I could see dropping in standings next season.

• There it is 1

2 minutes ago, kilgore said:

As another poster said Bo could have taken the 6.5 x 8 and been a multi millionaire living the good life on the west coast with his family. He chose to hold out for the big bucks.

people complain that Miller was signed before Bo, but in a way how this all went down is on Bo himself

Why did Bo wait until his contract year to step it up? Miller played hard last season and was in the same contract position. He could have waited till this season too.  It kind of makes me a little peaved off frankly to see how much better Bo could have been the last number of years if he’d have given 100% all along.

Miller stepped it up last season, while Bo played out the season accumulating roughly half the points of JT. Surprise surprise… Miller was valued more and signed first.

It’s almost like the perfect plan for a player who wants out, by putting his GM in a hands tied situation by playing himself out of affordability by inflating his numbers in his contract year.  On a cash strapped team. Where has this Bo been? If he’d have put in more effort last season, he’d have been signed, and JT traded. Simple as that.

Speculation the Canucks offered 6.5... no one knows.

And Bo had 31 goals last season... 1 goal behind Miller and Pettersson.

Bo has been placed in the #2 Center position throughout his career... has been expected to be a checking center rather than a scorer at even strength.

3 minutes ago, mll said:

Can't see Horvat walk.  They have 1 month to sign him or they can trade him further.

Friedman wondered about NYI earlier today on his podcast.  On an earlier podcast he said that Lamoriello told him years ago that you don't trade for rentals unless you are really positive this is your year.  Doubt Lamoriello thinks NYI has a chance this season so the trade is likely in prevision for next season.  

NYI is 10th in their conference at 0.529 while Wildcard 2 is at .582.   That's quite some ground to cover and NYI doesn't have games in hand.

Has this every happened before?  I've watched hockey for a long time, and I don't ever remember a player getting traded twice in the same trade deadline...

What if Bo misses Vancouver after this move and decides his best move is to come back with his family. He is a UFA Canuck nation where for the most part he was handed the keys to the city. 

Say he resigns here we just lost Bo for 40 games and gained all these assets. I’m sure his wife loves it here and has friends, this is not out of the question if we move money out and offer him what he wants. 

We already have the inside edge and his heart I’m sure. Plus these assets. At this current time it wasn’t possible but by July 1st it’s still a possibility. 

He will get the C again and no doubt that will be part of the negotiation, wait until the off-season as it is legal to do so. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1