The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Sabres re-sign Dylan Cozens

29 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Jeff Skinner says hi

33 goals and 63 points in 80 games last season

20 goals and 50 points through 47 points thus far 

One could argue 9M is too much but he doesn't remotely resemble the anchor he looked like for a couple seasons 

From what I've read from Sabers fans Krueger was disastrous for that team and it's no coincidence they've started trending up under Granato 

Edited by Coconuts

Wow, so they locked up both of their top centres to almost identical contracts.  Just over $14 million for both of them for the next 7 years.  That is good business from Buffalo.  They learned from the Jeff Skinner deal that it is better to give the big money to the younger guys.  $14 million locked up for your 1C and 2C for their entire prime years is a good piece of business.  Much better than the Toronto model of almost $23 million...

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

Oh my lorrrrrd!

But this is where money should be spent. Young guys who will only improve and hopefully give full value over the term of the deal rather than become a buyout candidate in 3-4 years. 

Gotta draft young players first

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Wow, big deal for a kid who's barely proven, a bit like the Petey signing though. 

These kids need bridges, not long term deals which take them to their late 20s when they end up in a Bo-like predicament where a team has to sign them to another massive deal which handcuffs them.

At least free agency will be fun in the next 5-8 years. All these 20 year olds taking the 7 and 8 year olds all be UFAs at the same time. Personally I would start planning now. Strictly focus adding picks and building through the draft ect while having good cap flexibility to add two of these future pending UFAs that will push us over the top for our cup run :bigblush:

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

I'm often a bit skeptical of long-term deals to young guys but I could actually see this one aging well

Him and Tage make a great 1-2 punch 

I'm with you on on the usually being quite skeptical of long-term deals to young players, partially because the whole paying for potential thing is one of the reasons that 2/3 of the league is against the cap. However, the risk has already payed off with Thompson which gives them some leeway to bet on Cozens.

Thompson and Cozens definitely make a great 1-2 punch. I really wanted Cozens in his draft and was really hoping he'd fall to us. It's nice to see him starting to realize his potential (especially playing in the east and not for a divisional rival).

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Wow, so they locked up both of their top centres to almost identical contracts.  Just over $14 million for both of them for the next 7 years.  That is good business from Buffalo.  They learned from the Jeff Skinner deal that it is better to give the big money to the younger guys.  $14 million locked up for your 1C and 2C for their entire prime years is a good piece of business.  Much better than the Toronto model of almost $23 million...

Wait a minute. In another thread, someone said that Buffalo had to PAY their players to stay. It's interesting that the narrative convenient shifts... people are saying this is a good signing lol.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

Wait a minute. In another thread, someone said that Buffalo had to PAY their players to stay. It's interesting that the narrative convenient shifts... people are saying this is a good signing lol.

It is a good signing.  Cozens is almost at a point per game and has shown great progression over 3 years, not just a few points here and there.  1st year he is at .32 PPG, 2nd year .48 PPG and now 3rd year .88.  That is some real progression year over year.  Next year he could be an 85-point player, which would make his contract already a great deal at age 22.  

2 hours ago, RWJC said:

Oh my lorrrrrd!

But this is where money should be spent. Young guys who will only improve and hopefully give full value over the term of the deal rather than become a buyout candidate in 3-4 years. 

no it shouldn't.  Young guys aren't nearly as good as veteran players, nor have they proven anything.  The league is worse for it's focus on young players and I really hope they do something to reign in GM's in the next CBA

28 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Probably cause this is a good signing. He's 22, near a point per game, and still developing. He is producing with sub 50% ozone starts to boot. Has 28 takeaways to 11 giveaways. I'd rather have Cozens on this deal than Miller on his deal. Hell, I'd take Cozens on Miller's deal over Miller on that same deal. At least Cozens hasn't been called out for quitting on the backcheck and has no history of yelling at teammates.

• Upvote 1

Buffalo has an incredibly enviable young core with Thompson, Cozens, Dahlin, and Power (plus Samuelsson as their top shutdown guy and Tuch who's still relatively young). The only real piece they're missing is a true top level goalie. I wonder if they would be willing to give up Jokiharju + a conditional 1st (becomes a 2nd if they miss playoffs) for Demko. Gives us a long-term partner for Hughes and them a starting goaltender. 

1 minute ago, Diamonds said:

Buffalo has an incredibly enviable young core with Thompson, Cozens, Dahlin, and Power (plus Samuelsson as their top shutdown guy and Tuch who's still relatively young). The only real piece they're missing is a true top level goalie. I wonder if they would be willing to give up Jokiharju + a conditional 1st (becomes a 2nd if they miss playoffs) for Demko. Gives us a long-term partner for Hughes and them a starting goaltender. 

Not nearly enough.

Add in their goalie prospect Portillo and drop the conditions on the 1st and then it’s closer.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Not nearly enough.

Add in their goalie prospect Portillo and drop the conditions on the 1st and then it’s closer.

Portillo would be a good add and might save us from having to overpay Jarry something like 7M x 6years to come here. We could find a short-term stopgap instead.

53 minutes ago, stawns said:

no it shouldn't.  Young guys aren't nearly as good as veteran players, nor have they proven anything.  The league is worse for it's focus on young players and I really hope they do something to reign in GM's in the next CBA

I'd rather sign a guy like Cozens to this deal than roll the dice on a UFA being able to maintain his value over the course of the contract.  I'm not sure how you could change this without either an RFA max (NHLPA says no), or an earlier service time for UFA status (Small market teams say no).

I like it. 

not short bridge deals that end up costing more every 3 years along with the uncertainty of “will he resign.”with a different player every year.
Hey that’s we have here every year 

looks like we’re back to EP again …. and here come the massive pay hike. 

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

Probably cause this is a good signing. He's 22, near a point per game, and still developing. He is producing with sub 50% ozone starts to boot. Has 28 takeaways to 11 giveaways. I'd rather have Cozens on this deal than Miller on his deal. Hell, I'd take Cozens on Miller's deal over Miller on that same deal. At least Cozens hasn't been called out for quitting on the backcheck and has no history of yelling at teammates.

I wasn't saying that this is NOT a good signing. I'm saying that the narrative that Buffalo has to pay to sign players is based out of ignorant bias.

• Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

We neeed to follow the Buff-model. 2 LOTTO wins will do that...

Let's be honest. Tage Thompson ascent should be mentioned in this discussion. He shouldn't be a surprise anymore. He's been scoring a lot last year as well.

Thompson came via trade.

It's not the lotto wins that made Buffalo better. They started developing their players better, mixed in with a good trade like Thompson.

Edited by Dazzle

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

It is a good signing.  Cozens is almost at a point per game and has shown great progression over 3 years, not just a few points here and there.  1st year he is at .32 PPG, 2nd year .48 PPG and now 3rd year .88.  That is some real progression year over year.  Next year he could be an 85-point player, which would make his contract already a great deal at age 22.  

I didn't mean that this wasn't a good signing. It's the biased opinion (and wrong one) that Buffalo needs to overpay players to stay. That bias was literally just spewed out the other day.

This signing should put those bias to rest, but it's not going to.

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

Buffalo I think is looking at this as similar to the Thompson deal.  Lock Cozens up now before the price really goes up.  Tage Thompson is the best value in the NHL right now on that new deal.  Cozens might not be too far behind.  The kid has the talent be special.

Imagine having TWO right handed centres who are like 6'3" and 6'6" who can both put up 85-90 points+.  Then you have 2 Dmen who are 6'3" and 6'6" as well who can be on your first pairing and one is already in the Norris trophy voting.  Buffalo is building something special.  Strength down the middle and at D are the core building blocks of a team...